• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Your thoughts on the season to come 2019/2020 - Prediction time

Danny_

Wyrd bið fūl aræd. Fate is inexorable. And so it begins again, a new hope. Could this be it? 30 years of hurt and it is so close that we can almost taste it. But it remains forever out of reach. The dream that we can get back to what we were in the 80's! It is so much more difficult now. And it does not help that it was a strange summer in which most of our key players don't seem to have had a proper preseason. Perhaps our rivals are in the same boat?

We have not strenghtened either while others have. The London clubs Spurs and Arsenal seem to be throwing money around like they just struck oil, the oil baron club City have also done some business and to our east, rumour has it that Mordor is reawakening. Its orcs at Carrington are multiplying and it might just have a decent defense now.

The only consolation over the last few years has been the destruction of the evil empire. Ever since Gollum bit the ring off the Dark lord's finger and took control at Old Trafford, the shadow has been lifted, hopefully never to return. But, it is unlikely that they are going to be a threat again this year, not yet unless the remaining days of the transfer window produce something.

But what of us? Is the squad good enough as it is to do it? It depends upon whether we get lucky with injuries or not. If we do, we certainly have a chance. The shining light in all of this is Klopp, our fearless leader. But will it be enough?

Only the three fates know who sit at the root of the tree of life and weave our fate. It is already written in the stars. Lets hope that they are smiling. My prediction for this season: my heart says 1st but my head says 3rd place. So, my prediction is in the middle - 2nd place again. I hope that I am wrong.

Incognito

The Normal One
I hope that I am wrong.
I hope you really are ;-)

Definitely going to be tougher than last season IMO. Don't think it'll be two teams way ahead than the rest like last time around. A lot will depend on these newly 'strengthened' sides to not bow down to City, unbelievable that the Europa winners Chelsea last year lost 6-0 something to them. But again like last season, we'll need to keeping winning our games and hope we are in the mix towards the end.

Ox and Keita are the key I think. If they stay fit throughout the season, there's a very high possibility of us finishing high enough to win the league. Trent and Robbo may find it difficult considering the kind of season they had and hence teams being wary about them, so the onus of creativity would lie on these two.

Heart says we will better our position than last year, fck whatever my brain thinks.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Heart says we will better our position than last year, fck whatever my brain thinks.
That's what football is all about.... if one tries to make sense out of this sport, they might find themselves very disappointed. It's all emotion and passion when it comes to supporting a football club, has no room for rational thinking. If you do, you won't be here day-in, day-out typing all sorts of shit out. This is why we are called fans, the fanatics. Once you allow your brain to do the thinking for you when it comes to football, you've lost it, you won't care if the club win or lose, you won't care as much about anything to do with the club - it's just a hobby, a past time.

Anyway - prediction? We will win it all, like I always do in every season.

fspencer

I predict everything will be just fine . We'll kick the round thing into the netty thing and after 25 minutes of VAR we'll celebrate .

Games will take 2 days per half .

Half time will be extended to 1 week .

@jaffod will be appointed chief exec of the FA and Referees committee .

Pep will resign half way through the season in disgust that the FA called a winter break period as the ball was about to cross the line .

The FA will see this as a lack of respect and declare that we now get 15 points for a win and our goals will count as golden goals .

fspencer

on a more serious note though .

finishing somewhere between 80 and 87 points would be an excellent season . I actually think this season will be much tighter due to VAR as often the sides down at the lower end don't tend to get the big decisions but that should now be a level playing playing field .

Some sides appear to be strengthening! but if football was played on paper and all that .

Defending the European Cup will depend on the group we get placed into as the first half of the season will be pretty hectic . We could do without trips to far away places .

Expecting a better more vibrant attacking display this season considering Lallana and Ox appear to be back in the fold .

salah will score 25+ league goals and will be named PFA player of the year .

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Would have loved to see us getting a top-class forward to make it possible to rotate our three boys upfront and a left-footed fullback as cover. The gaffer thinks he can do fine with what he's got, hope he is right.

I see that United, Spurs and Arsenal are getting stronger but like someone said the other day, they took zero points from City last year so it is a positive thing.

My prediction? Top of the League tomorrow at 10 p.m. and Top of the League on Sunday, May 17, 2020, at 6 p.m. Not sure what happens in between. lol

roydom

TIA Reserve Team
I think a lot depends on how often and how effective Keita and Ox are this season. Those two are game changers. Having them play reduces the burden in the full backs to provide the creativity and makes us less predictable. It would be a great string to add to an already impressive bow. Our one let down last season was we didn't score enough from midfield (I acknowledge they were tasked with performing other duties which reduced the chances of them getting high numbers) but Keita and Ox are the ones to change that.

Like the majority here I'd have liked us to add a couple of new faces (senior) to freshen up the squad if nothing else but those two lads played sod all last season and surely they will be chomping at the bit to let it out.

I do look enviously at what the spuds have done in the transfer market, they've bought some good players and have a top class manager. But I wouldn't swap our squad for theirs or anyone's.

Logic to me says City cannot match the previous two seasons consistency and despite what their fans say, the players want the CL which might (fingers crossed) lead to taking their eye off the ball domestically.

So I guess what I'm saying is, go big or go home!
1st place for the Redmen.

cynicaloldgit

Resident Misanthrope
Ad-free Member
Same as last year: we’ll be the best team in the country but won’t win the league due to a few dubious decisions going against us and others in City’s favour.

We’ll have better domestic cup runs and might even win one of them if City don’t get their usual piss-easy draws.

Number seven is in the bag- European referees don’t have an agenda against us, unlike their English counterparts, and there isn’t a team on the continent that will want to come to Anfield after what we did to Barcelona in May.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
I think we will get less points than last season but so will City. I suspect we will have to beat them twice to finish above them. My hunch is second and 4-5 points behind.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I'm hugely optimistion, compared with quietly optimistic last time round.

To retain the entire core and see the return to full fitness of some elements (Keita, Oxlade, Gomez, Lallana etc.) we lacked last season makes the summer all ok. Yes I would have prefered us bringing in a "Sessegnon" to cover left back and left forward, but it would have been a second cherry on top, rather than the only one.

Why the confidence? Quite simply I don't think anyone has strengthened to a level that makes me think shit they are going to cause us some problems.

City - Whilst not in public, but certainly behind the scenes; City are currently trying to transition from the old core which has been the spine of the team for 3-4 years.. Not easy to do without problems. Lost Kompany who won them the league last season, a huge void in leadership and winning mentality. Still relying on Aguero who is only getting older and taking longer and longer to recover from injuries (which he picks up frequently). Replaced Fernandinho with a young player that I don't think (next season anyway) will have half the influence the master of the dark arts Brazilian brough. David Silva is on the wain (retires next summer), De Bruyne needs to stay fit for them to have a chance. Their defence is shocking and certainly can't get given probably the easiest cup runs known to man (which enabled them to rest all their key players). Eyes on the CL which will be 1000% Peps focus will give us our chance.

Spurs - Realistically only replacing like for like, Ndombele is a great player but I still think offensively they are great but defensively haven't brought in enough to see them through the season. I think they will be closer this season, but not close enough.

Arsenal - Like Spurs bit more so, a glass canon who will conceed goals for fun (and score at the other end).

Utd - The most bizzare transfer strategies around, it's like us 5-10 years ago. Overpaying for English, being rejected by abroad. Like Chelsea a sub-par manager being supported by a directionless management team above. Will be defensively solid but can't see them passing the halfway line. Still not solved a problem like Pogba which will eat at the club all season.

Chelsea - Gone backwards, replacing Hazard with Pulisic and Lampard as manager? The start of the decline back to mid-table nowhere, owner wants to sell and will after a season of nothingness..

My prediction is we win the league and go far in the domestic cups, maybe winning one. CL this season will be quarter finals.

p.s. As above said Salah is going to be an absolute machine this season. 40+ goals over all competitions.

IndredCold

I also don't think that we'll get near last years point total. Doesn't neccessarily mean that the title is out of reach, just that the league will be much tighter, and teams will find ways to counter our threats. The luck factor will also even out, and some of those late, late wins from last year will probably translate to draws. I expect us to finish in the 85-90 point range.
As for our personnel, I'm really hoping Ox turns out to be an X factor, a new secret weapon we can unleash on the league. Also expecting Keita to push on from last year and really really wishing for Gomez to stay fit and form a granite like partnership with VVD!

RedForever2014

If we don't get an injury crisis then IMO we'll come second, 5 points behind City. We'll get no more than 85 points. We'll lose four or five PL matches this time.

We could go all the way in the CL again, but most likely the odds against doing so will come to pass and we'll go out anywhere from last 16 onwards.

We'll win the Super Cup or World Club Cup.

Domestic cups depend on draws, I can see us doing better, but not winning either.

MinniMo

I just don't want to hear any of our players screaming in pain or anger - or Alisson going 'Oops'.

I want to see and hear the joy of scoring and winning - yep, I want it all.

Seriously, I'll start predicting after I've watched a few matches and see how we're doing.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Extremely difficult to back up our points total from last season. Nearly everything fell into place then, and I don't think we'll have such a lovely time of it against the Top 6 + bitters.

Given I don't think we (nor City) will have a great start to the season given the squad disruption, anything between 85 and 89 points would be a successful Premier League campaign imo. We need to do the business again against the low and mid table and just prepare the best we can against the top 6.

Champions League is always a bit of a crapshoot. Depends on the group. Its not really a prediction but stating the obvious, but if we make it out of the last 16 then we'll again be very difficult to stop.

To tell the truth, I feel a bit more confident of our chances in the domestic cups with Adrian in goal. Mignolet sounded like a great human, but it seemed every defender we have turned to jelly when they defended in front of him, probably because a shot on goal was a pretty good chance of actually being a goal! So I am happy for a fresh change, even if this new keeper will have his own share of problems.

85-89 points, deep run in the CL and a domestic cup and I'd bite your hand off.

jim bouki

We're winning the league this year. This is the best gang of reds i've witnessed in my lifetime and the progression the team has shown over the last couple of years doesn't look like slowing down anytime soon. If the heartbreak of kyiv spurred the team on to such heights last year i can't begin to imagine how much the joys of winning no 6 will motivate them to kick on and win the PL. Last year we proved we can match city toe for toe and showed the rest of the league that they can be got at. This year with most other teams strengthening i expect city to not have as many easy games as they did last 2 years. Plus I think pep will focus on the CL more than the league and when they slip up i have no doubt about the bottle of our lads to fully capitalise this time around.
98 points above man city on 96. Mo and Mane to both hit 20+ goals again and based off klopps current european record over 2 legs don't be surprised if we make the CL final again!! Bring on the new season!!!

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
I think it will be another very good season, and I can see us finishing somewhere in the high 80s or low 90s, depending on margins.

I don't think we'll win the league, purely because of how good City are. More precisely, how good they are at playing against organised defence. Their approach and structure, when executed by quality players, is too much for almost every team in the league. And for me this is more or less a guarantee for getting 90+ points, as long as the hunger is still there.

However, I don't put anything past that team we have now. They're an awesome bunch. They play hard, for each other, and they are also exceptionally good at what they do. So it's not like I don't think we have a chance of winning the league. It's elite level football, shit happens. Very fine margins. But realistically I believe City will win.

As for cup competitions: they often depend on the draw, so I don't think too much about them until we reach the quarter final. Last season it was Bayern away, that's when I started dreaming of another final. After that game I thought to hell with the league, the CL was the big one for me. That's the one I wanted.

Seasons have games or moments that feel significant. You either start believing or stop believing; perspective and focus changes, depending on outlook and expectations. That's almost the best part of a new season: not knowing where and when that turning point is.

igor_piss_can

Was quietly worried thinking we may have a slow start due to the stuttered pre-season but was massively impressed with the second half on Sunday so I think we'll be fine. Never like making predictions or hanging my hopes - as Bill Hicks said - "It's just a ride!"

Buzzing for friday, up the reds!

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Maybe it would be good to have another thread or something to differentiate between expectations and predictions. To me both are completely two different things. I predict every season we will win the league, hopeful and dream. I don't expect us to win them.... I do however expect us to challenge for it.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
6 trophies:

1. Super Cup.
2. Club World Cup
3. League Cup
4. FA Cup
5. Champions League
6. Premier League

Better find some room in the cabinets.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Head says City will edge it again. I don't see how they are any weaker this season and they will trounce the vast majority of teams. There is an economy of effort about the way they win games too. Blitzing teams early on and then passing them to death so they won't run out of steam regardless of how hectic their schedule gets. I can't see any team overtaking us and if we win the head to heads with City we will have a chance.That was where we lost it last season. The game at the Etihad.

I predict I will enjoy the season just as I have every season under Klopp. These are special times and we have to savour them because they may not last forever. One thing I won't enjoy if we go close again is the tension. The run in was excruciating. I aged a year for every game we played from Palace onwards.

I am hoping Keita really establishes himself and that Ox can stay fit. I think Trent and Robbo may not be as influential this season and we will need more threat and creativity from central areas to compensate. Like a lot of others I am concerned about the reliance on the front 3 but I've been concerned about that since the day Coutinho was sold and it hasn't been a problem yet. I predict that JK will once again prove himself to be a master of squad management.

Our best chance of success remains the CL. That competition is made for us with the 2 leg format. If JK can take us to a 3rd successive European Cup final that will be some achievement. Not even Sir Bob could pull that one off.

belldiouf

TIA New Signing
I think City will win the league comfortably, some time around match day 35. However, I think they'll be less ruthless and finish around 90 points. I can see Spurs and Liverpool being neck and neck for 2nd / 3rd, finishing somewhere around 83-85 points. I just don't think either side has the depth to seriously challenge City and an injury or two could see us both closer to 4th / 5th. Whilst Ox and Brewster are back and will feel like new signings, we will inevitably lose others over the course of the season. I seriously worry if one of those injuries is to Robbo of one of the front 3.

As we saw with ourselves last season, Chelsea and a few others on various occasions, its not unusual to see huge point swings from season to season. As great as we were last year, I don't think I genuinely believe we were 25 points better than 3rd. Although we were excellent. For that reason, it wouldn't surprise me if Arsenal and even United are much closer this season. I also think Leicester and Everton will give the top 6 a good crack.

For me, the minimum requirement is top 4 and the Club World Cup. A successful season would be challenging for the title and picking up another trophy along the way. Possibly the FA Cup or #7.

ScotlandRed

Hi everyone - first post on the forum so I'll go with my head says second but my heart says first. I was lucky to be at Wembley last Sunday and I still can't believe we didn't win the game. The Community Shield is no barometer for how the season will pan out, and I think due to the pre-season "challenges" it may take a few matches before we properly hit our stride. The 30 year anniversary of our last title would be suitable point in time to get that money off our backs. I agree we will be unlikely to match last season's points total.

As far as other predictions go, I expect the Super Cup and World Club Cup, hope for better runs in the Carabao and FA Cups (and by that I mean winning our opening ties). Champions League? Another final is as far as I'm willing to stick my neck out!

My biggest worry heading into the new season is a lack of strength in the squad - I'd have liked to see a couple of signings, however if Ox, Lallana, Brewster etc can stay injury free and the "first team regulars" also stay fit then I'm ok with that. It's a big "if".

Incidentally, after 42 years of supporting from afar (or north of the Border), this will be my first season attending matches. I was at Murrayfield for the Napoli friendly two weeks ago, and as I mentioned was at Wembley where I really experienced my first LFC match day. Tomorrow I'll be at Anfield for the first time and I'm so looking forward to it. Been lucky (and persistent) with the additional members sale!

kwala

TIA Regular
In the league, we will finish Top 4! Probably 2nd or 3rd if the spurs squad clicks. Don't see us being within 8 points of city this season. Solely due to their squad depth. They can change players in any position with minimal drop off in quality. Over the course of a season that will mean their best players stay fresher, and when they do rotate the are less likely to drop points. 11 vs 11 we are as strong as them no doubt. 22 vs 22 they are miles ahead of us unfortunately.

I'd love to see good domestic cup runs, but that is relying on our squad to get us through the rounds! Something we are not doing well at!

In Europe, we can destroy anyone! Once it goes to 2 legs, we are a very hard side to beat!

Number 7 on the way!

Redsi73

Heart says Champions........head says....." other PL clubs need to step up and compete against City or probably second"

Heart wins 2-1