Your thoughts on the season to come - Prediction time

YeGra

Well, City look like the same monsters they were last season, maybe even worse and they don't even have De Bruyne. We are going to have to get a very high points total this season to do it.
We will have to score high but we have to rely on City dropping their intensity.

Remember a good start to the season doesn't always equate to a good finish. In Peps first season they won their first 6 games. Their form slowly got worse as the season rolled on to the point where they were only 2 points ahead of us. We need that drop off to happen again to be honest.

Dane

Willing to drive Matip to the airport
I think we will win our first 2 league games without conceding.

Noo Noo

Some people getting hung up about our performances against the other top 6 sides last season. So what, some seasons before hardly any of them beat us or, we had the best record against the top 6. Did we win the title in those seasons? No!

I read a piece on another forum supposedly by a long time season ticket holder. It was utter pessimism. Ive just got to wonder at these people who are negative before the season starts, they are negative after the season starts and they are negative all through the season. Honestly, what do they get out of football? They seem to use the negative crap all the time so they can say 'told you so!' at the end of yet another season and hope there's another Mansour just dieing to buy the club and return us to the glorious 70s and 80s.

Like I keep saying, our problem isnt City. It's whether the other clubs are going to try and take them on or just lie down and let them steam roller their way to the title. Anyone who finishes above City is going to be in with a shout of the title. Do I think we'll win it? Hell, I dont know but it has never stopped me hoping. I just cannot stand the constant negativity from some.
Fantastic post dude.

i've said elsewhere that we could beat City twice and it doesn't matter a jot unless other teams take points off them as well.

I just remember back during Dalglish's first stint as manager. Its about the next game, nothing more. Just try and win the next one and see where you are from there.

So lets enjoy trying to do just that. Just win the next game

RedForever2014

A great start without fully hitting our stride yet. Winning the first 4 or 5 games as players settle and get fit could even be the difference at the end of the season. So let's hope we can beat Leicester, which is a banana skin if we play like yesterday.

Gini has hit the ground running and is great to have on the pitch, as he can play 6, 5 or 8 and can switch around when subs are made. Milner is zipping around and Keita settling slowly but surely, although he is most susceptible to Hendo pushing for a start.

For me the midfield and attack doesn't look quite right yet. Bobby is not all there yet and for me he needs to be spending more time at 9 than 10. Maybe he's not yet fit enough to be right up top as 9, but he's not got the same skillset as a Coutinho or Hazard to be a 10.

I think Mane is spending too much time inside in that 10 position also, he needs to get into up top inside left more.

Perhaps Bobby and Mane sitting in that position a bit is because the midfield is sitting flatter, with Keita more as a left sided central midfielder than the left side of a 1-2.

If we're going to play with a kind of flatter midfield 3, we ideally need someone in the 10 position who can dictate play between the lines better than Bobby or Mane are doing.

We kind of need that turn on sixpence type at 10 and I'd argue the case for a midfield of Keita Hendo and Milner with Gini at 10 and two from the front three at some point in a match as something to look at. It would need better deliveries from the full backs than we're getting, but may be a way to rest and rotate the front 3, using four from the 5 or 6 midfielders.

I was pleased to see Matip showing good body language when he came on and looking confident, even though it was only a minute or two. That was actually the ideal use of a defensive change, very late on, a bit of extra height for those late hopeful punts into our box and fresh legs. It'd have been useful in matches like the CL semi 2nd leg, so hopefully we end the season with such options.

Gomez continues to develop, the fixtures giving him 3 or 4 slightly easier matches to get used to the position and become a genuine option. If Matip is better this season we have good cover there with Lovren also. Gomez can also go to right back late on with a fresh centre back coming on, as yesterday, which is a good way to see out a match.

TAA is clearly going to get suspended soon, so it'll be nice to see Clyne get a game or have a centre back to bring in and switch Gomez.

Fabinho will come into play in due course when we start playing midweek, Keita will settle and Shaqiri can get upto speed in the cup matches.

The most material change to the starting 11 so far is the keeper of course, though Gomez's progression, Robertson and VVD being there from the start of the season and Clyne being fit makes defence stronger.

Fab, Keita and Shaqiri will show their value in midfield and attack, the main concern being whether we have quite enough there if the front 3 dip.

Last edited:

dockers_strike

We've got off to a good start and will have to work around the inevitable international breaks that have regularly affected our momentum. But, I really hope we do not try and go all out in the domestic cups and spread ourselves too thinly. We have a good squad and some good U23 players who can be utilised in those competitions. But if push came to shove, we should prioritise the league above all competitions, yes, even the CL if it came down to it.

Ive just read a post on another forum. Posted by a guy who does go the game and wants us to win a cup, any cup because he is 'sick of not seeing us win' any silverware.

Well boo hoo. Im sorry you're sick of not seeing us win a trophy since 2012 which was incidentally, a league cup won on penalties against a Championship team so forgive me if I dont exactly hoop and holla over it. Im far more 'sick' of not seeing us be Champions of England since 1990. That's 28 years ago for anyone who cares to count and is something to be rather more 'sick' of than not seeing us win a cup.

It also smacks of the 'buy anyone' bullshit spouted by some, including that particular poster incidentally, when the van Dijk deal originally collapsed. It's the short term thinking that has contributed to our failure to be English Champions in that time, we havent been close except for may be 3 occasions but never mind, eh because we won a couple of LC's FAC, UEFA Cup and Champions League in the meantime.

My point is, you cant really be sick of not seeing us win a trophy if you accept winning those but they dont come close to proving you are your country's best team over a 38 game season when you win the title. I had a great time in 2001 going to all 3 cup finals and seeing us win. At the time it was a great feeling as was the CL in 2005. But, it still leaves an empty space and a bigger yearning to be league title winners as the long wait grew.

We all know since 1990 when we had 18, Manchester United had 7 or 8. Add up all those trophies we've won since 1990 and then realise United have won LCs, FACs, ELs, CLs and been Champions of England no less than 12 maybe 13 times.

I keep saying it, I dont get why some people see winning the CL as a bigger accolade than being your domestic champions especially when you havent been domestic champions in over a quarter of a century. To me at least, not being your recent or current domestic champions lessens the 'Champions of Europe' tag.

Clearly, Jurgen's job is to win silverware and he has to play to a different tune than to fans like me. There's no gaurantee even then we would still win the title. But I just wonder when Jurgen's time here is up (and may that be a long, long time in the future) if he has only won a league or FA Cup or two, will fans look back and wonder? Wonder what if Jurgen hadnt of gone all out in that cup run and instead, saved the elite players for a couple of league games that could have proved instrumental to returning 'Charlie' Championship home, to a place it hadnt resided at for over a third of a century?

vjcpatriot

I believe your post is a tad pessimistic. Liverpool sits king of the mountain in the league today. And the view looks good! They are looking down at the likes of Manchester City, Manchester United, and even Chelsea (even if only by goal difference).

If you think LFC and Klopp only care about Cups, you'd be mistaken, Liverpool is built to contend for the League title right now. Klopp won two Bundesliga titles so he is no stranger in terms of experience on what needs to be done for a team to win it all. Just have some patience and faith in the gaffer. Our lads are of the highest quality and are hungry to win and they have the leadership in place to do so.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
If you think LFC and Klopp only care about Cups, you'd be mistaken, Liverpool is built to contend for the League title right now. Klopp won two Bundesliga titles so he is no stranger in terms of experience on what needs to be done for a team to win it all. Just have some patience and faith in the gaffer. Our lads are of the highest quality and are hungry to win and they have the leadership in place to do so.
That's it right there. @dockers_strike, patience is key. There are plenty of good teams in this league in better positions than us to take a shot at the Premier League. What I mean by that is that they have been at the top of their game for several years actually challenging - Spurs, City, even Chelsea who could easily have their 'up year' given they still have the same core set of winners from a couple of years ago ( English equivalent of the Dees with their peaks and troughs). If I'm being honest, if we do carry our current form through the season and challenge for the title, then this will be our first year in a while actually challenging.

Unless you are very lucky, you don't take home the top prize on your first attempt, particularly with a team that hasn't had their key players together for many years( months).

Klopp has spoken many times in the past about needing to be at the top of the table for an extended period so that in a season where things go perfectly our way, we are there ready to press home that advantage. Believe it or not, league titles don't grow on trees. Otherwise Spurs have won one more recently than the 1960's, and City would have more than 3 recent ones given their dominance.

Imo unless the stars align, this year maybe one year too early, and there won't be any shame in that. This team hasn't actually won something yet. Taking home the FA Cup for instance would be a great stepping stone and great experience for future title runs. These cups aren't things to judge the manager on, but are invaluable when attempting to build a winning team, which we are not one of yet.

Last edited:

dockers_strike

That's it right there. @dockers_strike, patience is key. There are plenty of good teams in this league in better positions than us to take a shot at the Premier League. What I mean by that is that they have been at the top of their game for several years actually challenging - Spurs, City, even Chelsea who could easily have their 'up year' given they still have the same core set of winners from a couple of years ago ( English equivalent of the Dees with their peaks and troughs). If I'm being honest, if we do carry our current form through the season and challenge for the title, then this will be our first year in a while actually challenging.

Unless you are very lucky, you don't take home the top prize on your first attempt, particularly with a team that hasn't had their key players together for many years( months).

Klopp has spoken many times in the past about needing to be at the top of the table for an extended period so that in a season where things go perfectly our way, we are there ready to press home that advantage. Believe it or not, league titles don't grow on trees. Otherwise Spurs have won one more recently than the 1960's, and City would have more than 3 recent ones given their dominance.

Imo unless the stars align, this year maybe one year too early, and there won't be any shame in that. This team hasn't actually won something yet. Taking home the FA Cup for instance would be a great stepping stone and great experience for future title runs. These cups aren't things to judge the manager on, but are invaluable when attempting to build a winning team, which we are not one of yet.
Not sure what you mean by saying patience is the key. Being a long time season ticket holder, I exercise patience in bucket fulls every year, have done so since 1990 and continue to do so. All that not to mention the near 900 quid I give the club before a ball is kicked.

Wanting to win the title above all else has nothing to do with lacking patience. It's about going more than 28 years without winning it. It's about not weakening your chances of winning the big one by going for 'any trophy, just win something' mentality the impatient supporter trots out. Weakening our chances, is what we have done in the main since about the mid 1990's. We seemed to acknowledge we were not good enough to win the league so settled for winning either the FA or league cup. We even did rather poorly in Europe back then.

I dont want just any trophy for Klopp. I want him to bring the title home so he will be seemed in such esteemed company as Bill, Bob, Joe and Kenny. Get charlie championship on the sideboard and hell, yeah then any trophy can follow.

Im so patient, I wont be jumping on the Klopp out train when it finally does leave the station just because we havent won a trophy under his managership. His brand of football is delightful. Id rather sit through his football than any of our managers since the King's first spell and his second return.

dockers_strike

I believe your post is a tad pessimistic. Liverpool sits king of the mountain in the league today. And the view looks good! They are looking down at the likes of Manchester City, Manchester United, and even Chelsea (even if only by goal difference).

What, mine? Sorry if you think that, go back and re read it. Ive not said Klopp only cares about winning cups nor have I said I do not have faith in him. I indicated too many fans want 'a trophy, any trophy.' Instead of wanting to end a 6 year drought, I see a 28 year drought that needs ending as the priority.

If you are referring to my post, I think you are reading things into it that are not there. Just saying.

vjcpatriot

15 points in 5 games and top of the table for Liverpool. 88 points and contending for the title looks quite doable these days doesn't it? :-) No chance to win the league? Care to reconsider that thought?

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
We won't win the league. No chance.
But we'll finish top 4 and make a run In the CL.
What? No chance? None whatsoever? Is this a wind-up or are you being ironic?

We have every chance of winning the league. That was true before a ball was kicked this season and is even more true now. Given that only Man City outscored us last season, and we now have seemingly solved our defensive frailties, I would say that we have our best chance of winning the title since 1990.

No offence mate, but I'd really like to see you say "No chance" in Klopp's presence. I'm very sure that he would say that you're not a believer. You have to believe that we can do it. Anything less than that will guarantee failure.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
well, for now I can't say that we're superior
but the consistency and injured-free are the key to winning a title
No, really, we are superior.

We are superior to most clubs in the Premier League. As is Tottenham Hotspur. Way superior to most others, and look what happened to them on the weekend.

vjcpatriot

Let's look at the history of the League Champions since 2010:

2017 Manchester City 100
2016 Chelsea 93
2015 Leicester 81
2014 Chelsea 87
2013 Manchester City 86
2012 Manchester United 89
2011 Manchester City 89
2010 Manchester United 80

City at 100 points is an obvious outlier and unlikely to ever happen again.
Therefore if we take the totals of league champions from 2010-2016, we get an average of 86.4 points.

If Liverpool reaches 88 points as predicted, that point total definitely contends for the title.
In fact most of the League champions reached 86 points or more by the end of the season.

Regardless of how it shakes out I do feel it's going to be a tight race down to the wire.
Liverpool has put together a very nice start to the season and they can build upon this early success for ultimate honors at the end of the season.

Need 90 points to win league

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Let's look at the history of the League Champions since 2010:

2017 Manchester City 100
2016 Chelsea 93
2015 Leicester 81
2014 Chelsea 87
2013 Manchester City 86
2012 Manchester United 89
2011 Manchester City 89
2010 Manchester United 80

City at 100 points is an obvious outlier and unlikely to ever happen again.
Therefore if we take the totals of league champions from 2010-2016, we get an average of 86.4 points.

If Liverpool reaches 88 points as predicted, that point total definitely contends for the title.
In fact most of the League champions reached 86 points or more by the end of the season.

Regardless of how it shakes out I do feel it's going to be a tight race down to the wire.
Liverpool has put together a very nice start to the season and they can build upon this early success for ultimate honors at the end of the season.
Why do you think city won't hit 100 pts again ? They've dropped 2 pts which I think they were in the same position at this stage last season. This man city side is stronger in depth than any of those sides that have won the title over the last 10 years so definitely think we will have to finish in the mid 90s to have a shot at winning the title

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Why do you think city won't hit 100 pts again ? They've dropped 2 pts which I think they were in the same position at this stage last season.
You are exactly right, they drew once and won 4 in their first 5 matches played. Over the last 10 years, there were 5 times where teams collected 15 points in their first 5 matches and only once they retained that spot and win the league title.
2015/16 - Man City (top of the table) - winner - Chelsea
2016/17 - Man City (top of the table) - winner - Leicester City
2011/12 - Man Utd (top of the table) - winner - Man City
2010/2011 - Chelsea (top of the table) - winner - Man Utd
2009/10 - Chelsea (top of the table) - winner - Chelsea

It could be a blessing in disguise for us, since we are not sitting at the top spot.... ;-)

Commando

You are exactly right, they drew once and won 4 in their first 5 matches played. Over the last 10 years, there were 5 times where teams collected 15 points in their first 5 matches and only once they retained that spot and win the league title.
2015/16 - Man City (top of the table) - winner - Chelsea
2016/17 - Man City (top of the table) - winner - Leicester City
2011/12 - Man Utd (top of the table) - winner - Man City
2010/2011 - Chelsea (top of the table) - winner - Man Utd
2009/10 - Chelsea (top of the table) - winner - Chelsea

It could be a blessing in disguise for us, since we are not sitting at the top spot.... ;-)
You missed

2018/19 - Chelsea (top of the table) - winner - Liverpool
2018/19 - Liverpool (second in the table) - winner Liverpool

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I take it back then.
Only me.... every time I praise the team they tend to fuck up. Every single time I am critical over our team or player(s) they tend to score. Salah is about to get shit loads of criticism from me soon.... lol

FilthyBloke

So we need 90 to win the league ish?
We already have 12...
So we need 26 wins from next 34....
I prefer to take each game at a time I think!