• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Your thoughts on the season to come - Prediction time

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Its still funny to think that only a few weeks ago there were people on here talking about us finishing 2nd as the more realistic option when we were only 2 pts behind city.
I'm not saying we will win the title as that is something I won't consider till march/April but it was funny how they had basically written off our chances back then

vjcpatriot

The difference with Liverpool this year is that we field a world class defence. 7 goals conceded in 19 matches.

That takes a TON of pressure off our forwards. We are just as likely to win 2-0 or 1-0. With Virgil and Alisson no more dropping 2 points to a draw late with a winnable position.

23 goals allowed at midpoint last season vs only 7 this one.

CITY is reeling and feeling the pressure and they have spit the bit haven't they?

I predicted 88 for lfc before the season started but now I can't see us with less than 95 and that should win us the league title. Let's revisit in another month but I have faith in Klopp and our lads to see this through!

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I don’t care what the newspapers are saying about our previous title challenges. We’ve never stormed into a lead like this. Whenever we’ve gone top, it’s been by a point or two, or the opposition have had games in hand they expect to win.

We’re six clear. We could lose our next two and still be top.

The team looks focussed and mentally strong. The 08/09 and 13/14 challenges were always built on sand. Both of them wringing the very last drops out of a side about to break up. 18/19 looks made on granite. To concede seven goals in half a season is astonishing.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Well it’s been an awesome season so far - we are playing an evolved type of football compared to last season - and you get the feeling there’s more to come.

The magical feeling has really started again once the new main stand got started. The whole area has been revitalised, and you can see there is much more to come.

Fsg splashed the cash at the right time - but Jurgen is the best fit we’ve had since Dalglish first time... and now the players, fans and club are together more than ever before.

The sense at anfield on match days is just spiralling upwards - everyone knows to bring their voices and support, the team rely on it.

Just imagine you are a player for another team and Jurgen shows some interest - they’d be dying to play for him and in this team.

Let the good times roll, but let’s take it a game at a time.

Redopium

City were favourites a short time ago so things can change very quickly, a couple of bad results from us and Spurs could be favourites, my biggest worry with us if another CB injury, I know Gomez is supposed to be back early January but it still a worry, our defence is just unbelievable so far so hopefully that continues, at the moment we are leading a 3 horse race I think, be great to finally win it and end the you never won the pl talk.

Danny_

To be honest, we are back to being underdogs in this. Yeah, 4 points ahead but they will have momentum now and we have to pick ourselves up. How the lads react to this will show what kind of mental strength we have.

sms1986

To be honest, we are back to being underdogs in this. Yeah, 4 points ahead but they will have momentum now and we have to pick ourselves up. How the lads react to this will show what kind of mental strength we have.
We've done well as underdogs before so if we are then it's not too bad a problem.

Maybe they'll have the momentum but we have a favourable run coming up, they'll need us to lose again because we won't drop many more points or concede many more goals.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Momentum has been stopped in its tracks, it's now about how Klopp and his lads react. It's a shame that Liverpool have been dealt a tough draw in FA Cup, it would have been nice to face a lower league club like all Liverpool's rivals. Once again, I hope that Klopp has learned an important lesson when it comes to Henderson-Wijnaldum-Milner midfield, too. January is always a tough month for him and Man City will be high on confidence and facing clubs whose forms are patchy and who have a lot of injuries. I'd say that makes them long-term favourites, I can't see them dropping points before Champions League resumes.

sms1986

Momentum has been stopped in its tracks, it's now about how Klopp and his lads react. It's a shame that Liverpool have been dealt a tough draw in FA Cup, it would have been nice to face a lower league club like all Liverpool's rivals. Once again, I hope that Klopp has learned an important lesson when it comes to Henderson-Wijnaldum-Milner midfield, too. January is always a tough month for him and Man City will be high on confidence and facing clubs whose forms are patchy and who have a lot of injuries. I'd say that makes them long-term favourites, I can't see them dropping points before Champions League resumes.
I can't see us dropping many points either, as long as we don't lose another game we should remain one step ahead of them.

MW2833

Liverpool's next five fixtures on paper are very easy compared to city's. Hopefully wolves arsenal and Chelsea can take points off them.
Why do we always have to do stuff the hard way?

Nikola

Admin
League winners.

Going to pretend that's true tonight anyway.

I'd have taken a 4 point gap at the beginning of December. Up the reds.
I'd have taken being one point ahead of City at this point if I'm honest but this hurts a bit, especially after the best December ever. You never know how the lads will respond and Klopp always has problems with January. Two centre backs will be out for about a month, while Man City are hosting Chelsea and Arsenal sides in the best possible moment to play them, as we've seen with Arsenal's trip to Anfield. If Liverpool is still four points ahead of Man City and Tottenham come March, I might turn up my optimism to the notch marked with "1".

cynicaloldgit

Resident Misanthrope
Ad-free Member
If Liverpool is still four points ahead of Man City and Tottenham come March...
Don’t worry: it’ll be more than that.

The only way we won’t win the league from here is if refs start robbing us of points and City get every decision their way. Given fair arbitration, we’ve got this.

Nikola

Admin
Don’t worry: it’ll be more than that.

The only way we won’t win the league from here is if refs start robbing us of points and City get every decision their way. Given fair arbitration, we’ve got this.
Like the one where Kompany lunged two-footed into Salah? Not counting on that, my friend.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Wow we lose one game and all of a sudden we are back ymto underdogs. Like wtf? Maybe if we lose the next game things might be different but still we will top

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
Looking at our next six fixtures compared to them...

US. City.
Brighton (a). WOLVES (h)
PALACE (h). Huddersfield (a)
LEICESTER (h). Newcastle (a)
West Ham (a). ARSENAL (h)
BOURENMOUTH (h) CHELSEA (h)
United (a). Everton (a)

With cup games and European football in the mix points could be dropped from either team.
Personally I think 13 points from those games for us and 16 for city.
That gives us a 1 point lead going into round 28.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
League winners.

Going to pretend that's true tonight anyway.

I'd have taken a 4 point gap at the beginning of December. Up the reds.
Spot on, its a out perspective
People going on about the momentum has swung. It's 27 pts out of 30, city have 21. Its not as if we were going to continue winning and maybe at least the main lads will get a rest for the wolves game and they can go into the next league game fresh

Danny_

Wow we lose one game and all of a sudden we are back ymto underdogs. Like wtf? Maybe if we lose the next game things might be different but still we will top
Actually, I would have had us as underdogs even if we had drawn that game. Now, I think we are massive underdogs again in this. I hope you are right though.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Massive underdogs? I don't think so. If we were 4 points behind then I'd agree. However, we're not, we're 4 points ahead. Have some faith in the lads and belief please!

We're still favourites in my eyes. We can do this.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Actually, I would have had us as underdogs even if we had drawn that game. Now, I think we are massive underdogs again in this. I hope you are right though.
But don't be thinking that way. We didn't play well lastnight and still only lost basically by a lick of paint. No team has pushed city like that, yeah they lost to Chelsea, Palace and Leicester but they still dominated them games and they were decided by fantastic strikes. We pushed them hard and we didn't even play well.
I see us as their equals, the next 3 or 4 games before the champ lge kicks off are going to massive. I'm glad we have the fa cup next and we rest most of the main lads for it, don't care if we go out to wolves and would even be OK to go to bayren Munich so we could concentrate on the league. Everything else is a distraction, the league is the main prize

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
I would say we are evendogs right now. If we were level on points I’d fancy city. But that 4 point cushion is something we need to protect for as long as we can.
If that vanishes sooner than later then with a straight sprint to the finish I fancy city. That buffer is key.

But, regardless of last night, teams will have noticed in recent weeks that city can be got at. And all of a sudden city seem to have very visible weaknesses. This isn’t the pressure free city of last year where teams bowed down before them. And they know it.

At the end of the day we have only dropped points this season to arsenal, Chelsea and Man City. That deserves respect but we have to keep beating the teams we should be beating.

Perth Red

Rolling with crocs in Darwin
We are as good as City irrelevant of yesterday's result. Four points ahead makes us favorites, we just need to keep doing what we have been doing and ignore everyone else.

RedForever2014

IMO City are favourites.

Their poor results have coincided with the absence of Fernandinho, who is now back.

They also have a greater squad of interchangeable forwards, so they can rotate between the different competitions and maintain similar firepower.

If they are even remotely on form they can secure results almost effortlessly, whereas many of our results are hard earned.

We have many banana skins, United away, Everton away, plus the home matches versus Spurs and Chelsea.

Referees will cost us a few points and Klopp also is prone to picking the wrong side at crucial moments.

We also still look likely to implode on occasion. We had no answers to being over-run last night.

I'm hopeful, but I still think we're a bit short.

Really surprised that the club doesn't want to add some quality this January to sure things up.

Weakening the squad by letting some of Solanke, Origi, Clyne, Moreno go, and not signing someone when we clearly need extra options up top, for me is not a club that is hell bent on success.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
IMO City are favourites.

Their poor results have coincided with the absence of Fernandinho, who is now back.

They also have a greater squad of interchangeable forwards, so they can rotate between the different competitions and maintain similar firepower.

If they are even remotely on form they can secure results almost effortlessly, whereas many of our results are hard earned.

We have many banana skins, United away, Everton away, plus the home matches versus Spurs and Chelsea.

Referees will cost us a few points and Klopp also is prone to picking the wrong side at crucial moments.

We also still look likely to implode on occasion. We had no answers to being over-run last night.

I'm hopeful, but I still think we're a bit short.

Really surprised that the club doesn't want to add some quality this January to sure things up.

Weakening the squad by letting some of Solanke, Origi, Clyne, Moreno go, and not signing someone when we clearly need extra options up top, for me is not a club that is hell bent on success.

Thing is,City are the hardest team we had to play in the 2nd half of the season and now they are out of the way,they didn't totally dominate us,small margins (11mm's to be exact) cost us a point and thats with a few of our players not handling the pressure and turning up on top of their game.

We won't have to face another game with players of that calibur fighting for their lives to keep their title hopes alive.If Klopp can carry on doing what he was doing before lastnights game,keeping the players focused on the next game only and not worrying about whats happening elsewhere,i can't see why we can't get back to the title winning form we had in the first 20 games this season,we also have a great record over the years for the 2nd half of the season.

I don't see us selling Solanke,Origi (or Moreno maybe) and loaning out Clyne as weakening the squad tbh,these are players that have hardly been used,they probably haven't played 10 games between them all,so i doubt they'll be missed.Ok i guess Clyne is a strange one but if this is the right time to blood youth and make space in the squad and get the best fee's for future transfers,then i trust Klopp/Edwards judgement.

We are still 4 points clear,key players due back from injury,3 top 6 teams left to play (2 at home) and still playing well,yes we have potential banana skins but Man City do aswell,with teams that have already beaten them this season and still not keeping clean sheets.

Monument Mark

I wonder if last night's result had any bearing on the quick transfer and loan respectively of Dominic Solanke and Nathaniel Clyne; and whether this indicates that Jurgen is thinking of buying someone this month. Remember how Fabinho came in so soon after the Champions League final defeat? Maybe last night convinced Jurgen some strengthening is needed, regardless of our current number one position in the table.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
Yesterday could've easily ended 2-2 even though we weren't near our best,citeh ain't nowhere as good as last season and won't be counting their (probably) rare and overly expensive fucking chickens,it's not even slightly over for us this season for me.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Yesterday could've easily ended 2-2 even though we weren't near our best,citeh ain't nowhere as good as last season and won't be counting their (probably) rare and overly expensive fucking chickens,it's not even slightly over for us this season for me.
I think City are as good as last year but we just have significantly closed the gap to where we are equally as good. We werent at our best and yet in some ways it could easily have ended a draw. If the ref had shown some balls he would have shown kompany a red card on 2 fronts. 1 a high two footed challange and 2 denying a goal scoring chance. At 0-0 that would have changed the completion of the game. People saying that stone's clearance could be the deciding factor in the title race come May but I think the ref's decision is a bigger one

lfc.8

Yesterday's result was very disappointing to say the least, but also heightened by the importance of the game. Once again we come second place. A seven or ten point lead at this stage could very well be the difference.

Four points is still good but the team needs to keep on winning. There's less margin for error now. Still plenty of games to go. Maximum points we can achieve is 105 while for City it's 101. If we can attain 98 points the title should be ours. Possibly less.

I was somewhat surprised when City lost those two recent games so that's a plus. Hopefully more to come. We really need to win the league this year after the impressive start so far.