• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Your thoughts on the season to come - Prediction time

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Shock horror.
Owners of a business have the sheer fucking audacity to take money out of the business they own.

The fucking cheek of it.

In other news, City have a minimum 3 games more to play than us.
Granted, a lot of their automatic starters will be rested, but not all of them.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Shock horror.
Owners of a business have the sheer fucking audacity to take money out of the business they own.

The fucking cheek of it.

In other news, City have a minimum 3 games more to play than us.
Granted, a lot of their automatic starters will be rested, but not all of them.
They may rest some players against Burton though, although if Burton get the first goal it will be edge of the seat panic stuff.

Fingers crossed the next best English talent Mr Foden actually gets some minutes under Mr promote youth Guardiola.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
They may rest some players against Burton though, although if Burton get the first goal it will be edge of the seat panic stuff.

Fingers crossed the next best English talent Mr Foden actually gets some minutes under Mr promote youth Guardiola.
Doubt if they will rest many in the final, and only a few in the FA Cup.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
We need to take advantage of the League Cup final weekend and make sure we win.
City will then be playing catch up with fixtures, which could be to our advantage if they keep progressing in the CL.
Finding a free midweek for them could be awkward.
An FA Cup replay thrown into the mix would be amusing too.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
We need to take advantage of the League Cup final weekend and make sure we win.
City will then be playing catch up with fixtures, which could be to our advantage if they keep progressing in the CL.
Finding a free midweek for them could be awkward.
An FA Cup replay thrown into the mix would be amusing too.
So so key we win our next game, put the tiniest of stutters behind us and we will go from strength to strength and the pressure just mounts on City.

RedForever2014

That we have 9 home PL matches and 7 away is a big advantage.

The rest of January and February is a huge opportunity for us. With a lighter programme and City having midweek matches nearly every week, also playing some top 6 sides in the PL, a good run for us could see proper daylight emerge.

Four of the remaining six PL matches before the end of Feb are at home, none easy of course but at home at least. West Ham and Man United away will be tricky though.

A run of wins through that sequence, then the Derby and the March matches before the international break (23rd March?), would really set us up.

If we're still in the CL after the international break, a sequence which includes Spurs and Chelsea, we'd really want some breathing space.

Danny_

16 games to go and each one is a cup final. We just need to keep the wins coming for as long as we can. I expect City to smash wolves 5-1 tomorrow but it doesn't matter. Our scraping 1-0 wins get just as many points.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
That we have 9 home PL matches and 7 away is a big advantage.

The rest of January and February is a huge opportunity for us. With a lighter programme and City having midweek matches nearly every week, also playing some top 6 sides in the PL, a good run for us could see proper daylight emerge. Four of the remaining six PL matches before the end of Feb are at home, none easy of course but at home at least. West Ham and Man United away will be tricky though.

A run of wins through that sequence, then the Derby and the March matches before the international break (23rd March?), would really set us up. If we're still in the CL after the international break, a sequence which includes Spurs and Chelsea, we'd really want some breathing space.
Was just looking at the run of games through the end of Feb. Feels like an odd rhythm to the schedule:

Sat/19th: Palace (11 day break)
Wed/30th: Leicester (5 day break)
Mon/4th: West Ham (4 day break)
Sat/9th: Bournemouth (9 day break)
Tue/19th: Bayern UCL (4 day break)
Sun/24th: ManU (2 day break)
Wed/27th: Watford (2 day break)
Sat/2nd: Everton

costared

TIA Reserve Team
I am just a bit concerned. Our attack seems less effective this season and we do not have much cover in that department. An injury to Salah for example would be a disaster.. I feel we look like a team that could easily hit a couple of draws as most opponents have improved defensively . Two draws for us and City are top again. Hopefully I am wrong .

Perth Red

Rolling with crocs in Darwin
All of us would have assumed we would be chasing City at this point of the season, I'm sure, so being 4 (7 until later today) ahead is astonishing really.
At the start of the season, acquiring Becker and Fab, the arrival of Keita, I hoped for a decent title challenge and an improvement on fourth, maybe another good run in the Champions League. So far, I am more than happy with where we are and feel totally relaxed about the rest of the season. Even if we end up with nothing in the trophy cabinet we have certainly cemented our place back at the top table. A few more additions in the summer and we are set for plenty of more challenges for silverware in the future.
Having lived through the glory years of the 70's and 80's my desperation for trophies may not be as overwhelming as some younger fans, I am just enjoying the games and the ride!

RedForever2014

Another good result which took us to an important points total. We'd now have to drop more than a third of the remaining points on offer to not finish top 4, or - to put it another way - the 5th and 6th placed clubs would need to do better than us by a point per remaining match.

Yesterday was a bit crazy, with echoes of yesteryear, and my main concern right now is whether injuries will derail us.

I don't think we'll have the depth to handle the intense period around any CL QF or SF, as I just don't see how Bobby, Mo or Mane could be rested for must win weekend matches.

Sturridge, Origi, Keita and Lallana aren't going to be able to come into the starting 11 in forward positions along with Shaqiri, to rest two of the first choice forwards, without PL results being at risk.

The problem we'll have, I think, is that we're not going to rest the front three for the CL matches, so it's PL matches where we might start to slip, through front three fatigue or inferior players fielded.

It's the injury prone nature of our defenders, the lack of cover for our forwards and the level being offered by a couple of our attacking midfielders that worries me.

RedForever2014

All of us would have assumed we would be chasing City at this point of the season, I'm sure, so being 4 (7 until later today) ahead is astonishing really.
At the start of the season, acquiring Becker and Fab, the arrival of Keita, I hoped for a decent title challenge and an improvement on fourth, maybe another good run in the Champions League. So far, I am more than happy with where we are and feel totally relaxed about the rest of the season. Even if we end up with nothing in the trophy cabinet we have certainly cemented our place back at the top table. A few more additions in the summer and we are set for plenty of more challenges for silverware in the future.
Having lived through the glory years of the 70's and 80's my desperation for trophies may not be as overwhelming as some younger fans, I am just enjoying the games and the ride!
The issue is that for all the improvement that is clear to see, at the moment this squad (and Klopp) has achieved nothing more than any Liverpool side since 1990, and less than many of the sides.

Being PL runners up and finalists is very nice, but ultimately you're only at the top table when you win major trophies.

Spurs have been there or thereabouts for a few years and could easily fade away if their manager leaves, without actually winning anything. We don't want to be the same.

Ultimately you've got to start winning things, it can't always be heroic near misses and jam tomorrow.

For all the issues in our current 'senior' squad, next season we could have 7 or 8 youngsters filling up the squad, with so many seniors likely to depart and LFC unlikely to buy senior players to replace them.

If a top player decides to go because LFC never crosses the line into actual winners of things, we might look back on this season as the season we never took our chance to put ourselves back at the top table.

Why do you think the pundits, media, other clubs are so desperate for us to not win the PL or CL? Because they know once we do we'll have stepped up to a new level and will have the chance to keep our top players and add quality and cement ourselves there.

That's why the club, IMO, is being reckless with its entire future in not adding some more quality to the squad this January, especially when we can all see that the squad is light in certain areas, and has a lot of injury prone players.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
That's why the club, IMO, is being reckless with its entire future in not adding some more quality to the squad this January, especially when we can all see that the squad is light in certain areas, and has a lot of injury prone players.
And it’s as simple as popping to Morrison’s and making for the ‘quality footballers’ aisle?

The player has to be available. They rarely are in January.

RedForever2014

And it’s as simple as popping to Morrison’s and making for the ‘quality footballers’ aisle?

Not simple, but not impossible. There must be someone who could offer more than Sturridge, Origi, Keita or Lallana in the final third, even on loan.

wibseyred

Not simple, but not impossible. There must be someone who could offer more than Sturridge, Origi, Keita or Lallana in the final third, even on loan.
Spurs have lost Kane and have been linked with Origi which illustrates the lack of quality about. All the top 6 could do with an addition or two. How many have signed anybody hmmm would that be a big fat nobody.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
The issue is that for all the improvement that is clear to see, at the moment this squad (and Klopp) has achieved nothing more than any Liverpool side since 1990, and less than many of the sides.

Being PL runners up and finalists is very nice, but ultimately you're only at the top table when you win major trophies.

Spurs have been there or thereabouts for a few years and could easily fade away if their manager leaves, without actually winning anything. We don't want to be the same.

Ultimately you've got to start winning things, it can't always be heroic near misses and jam tomorrow.

For all the issues in our current 'senior' squad, next season we could have 7 or 8 youngsters filling up the squad, with so many seniors likely to depart and LFC unlikely to buy senior players to replace them.

If a top player decides to go because LFC never crosses the line into actual winners of things, we might look back on this season as the season we never took our chance to put ourselves back at the top table.

Why do you think the pundits, media, other clubs are so desperate for us to not win the PL or CL? Because they know once we do we'll have stepped up to a new level and will have the chance to keep our top players and add quality and cement ourselves there.

Talk about a pessimist,we are probably ahead of schedule in Klopps original plan,when he first came here,he is still offloading deadwood he inherited from previous managers and building HIS squad,yes he's had 3 years here(3 summer transfer windows) but these things take years to fix,this isn't Championship Manager where you can take over 8 of the richest teams in the world,buy all our shit players for mega money in one/two transfer windows,then buy the best players for next to nothing,in one season.

There are so many positives to be had, looking at what Klopps achieved here so far,our squad is getting better and stronger year on year,with just a handfull of players left to offload and upgrade/replace.

We are top of the league with one of the best points tally's in the history of the game,great players,great manager,money to spend and your shitting the bed,moaning about the lack of transfers and not winning the league and losing all our best players next year,WTF dude lol

RedForever2014

Spurs have lost Kane and have been linked with Origi which illustrates the lack of quality about. All the top 6 could do with an addition or two. How many have signed anybody hmmm would that be a big fat nobody.
Spurs are tighter than us, I don't benchmark our activity by theirs.

Talk about a pessimist,we are probably ahead of schedule in Klopps original plan,when he first came here,he is still offloading deadwood he inherited from previous managers and building HIS squad,yes he's had 3 years here(3 summer transfer windows) but these things take years to fix,this isn't Championship Manager where you can take over 8 of the richest teams in the world,buy all our shit players for mega money in one/two transfer windows,then buy the best players for next to nothing,in one season.

There are so many positives to be had, looking at what Klopps achieved here so far,our squad is getting better and stronger year on year,with just a handfull of players left to offload and upgrade/replace.

We are top of the league with one of the best points tally's in the history of the game,great players,great manager,money to spend and your shitting the bed,moaning about the lack of transfers and not winning the league and losing all our best players next year,WTF dude lol
There are loads of positives, but you take your chance when it arises.

Next year United will be stronger from the off, City will go again, Arsenal and Chelsea will be in year two of their new regimes.

If you're happy with wasted opportunities that's your right.

Everything is a gamble, but I'd rather us take a punt on someone that could be the difference in winning the title or not, than taking a punt on us not coming unstuck due to injuries, by not doing anything this January.

Come May, if we haven't won the PL, I'd rather look back and say we did something to try and sure up the challenge.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Spurs are tighter than us, I don't benchmark our activity by theirs.

There are loads of positives, but you take your chance when it arises.

Next year United will be stronger from the off, City will go again, Arsenal and Chelsea will be in year two of their new regimes.

If you're happy with wasted opportunities that's your right.

Everything is a gamble, but I'd rather us take a punt on someone that could be the difference in winning the title or not, than taking a punt on us not coming unstuck due to injuries, by not doing anything this January.

Come May, if we haven't won the PL, I'd rather look back and say we did something to try and sure up the challenge.
Yeah i get what your saying BUT you know Klopp doesn't buy in January,if he was going to buy someone he would have got him in on the 1st of january.So knowing this,why do you keep typing the same thing over and over,it's not getting you anywhere.

Next year,United could have a new manager,so start again or trust OGS with money to buy the right players (he's still wet behind the ears as far as manager goes) and could get it totally wrong.

Sarri seems to have started doing a Conte and slagging his players off publicly,so that could set them back.

Arsenal will need to build their midfield and defense,so will still be behind us.

So it's not really a now or never situation,in regards to how much harder our competition will be next year,cos it's not as simple as that.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
I don't think the squad is light in certain areas. We have at least 2 players in every position. Buying the wrong "big name" player right now could effect the dressing room etc - so it has to be the right player. Buying a player for the reserves doesn't really help either.

I don't share the view that we need another player. I think we have enough to win the league and have a good run in the Champions League. We just need to stay focussed and players need to take it a game at a time.

Our current bench options like Shaqiri, Studge and Origi have all contributed to this season. Klopp sees the wider and bigger picture more than any of us. And this summer will see many of our back ups leaving - what I really admire about Klopp is that he only goes for quality, and right now if you are a player and Klopp comes calling - what do you think would happen? This summer will be interesting.

Its a shame we didn't sign Pulisic, but I think that was Klopp's call - not our american owners.

I am perfectly fine with the squad that we have - and just want the momentum to keep going to get us over the line. We don't need another player to potentially disrupt the dressing room right now.

Danny_

I don't think the squad is light in certain areas. We have at least 2 players in every position. Buying the wrong "big name" player right now could effect the dressing room etc - so it has to be the right player. Buying a player for the reserves doesn't really help either.

I don't share the view that we need another player. I think we have enough to win the league and have a good run in the Champions League. We just need to stay focussed and players need to take it a game at a time.

Our current bench options like Shaqiri, Studge and Origi have all contributed to this season. Klopp sees the wider and bigger picture more than any of us. And this summer will see many of our back ups leaving - what I really admire about Klopp is that he only goes for quality, and right now if you are a player and Klopp comes calling - what do you think would happen? This summer will be interesting.

Its a shame we didn't sign Pulisic, but I think that was Klopp's call - not our american owners.

I am perfectly fine with the squad that we have - and just want the momentum to keep going to get us over the line. We don't need another player to potentially disrupt the dressing room right now.
We are light at FB on both sides. Having CM filling in there when we have injuries is not ideal. It would have been okay if Clyne had not decided he wanted to leave.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member

Why do you insist on replying to the muppet?

Incognito

The Normal One
Next 5 games -
LFC: Leicester (H), West Ham (A), Bournemouth (H), Man Utd (A) Watford (H)

City: Newcastle (A), Arsenal (H), Chelsea (H), Everton (A), West Ham (H)

I expect us to get 12-13 points out of 15. City on the other hand under normal circumstances should be dropping atleast 2 points, but those shitty London clubs can't be trusted to do us any favors.

If we somehow maintain the 4 point gap after these 5 games (and ideally we should at the minimum), it'll become really interesting from there onwards. However, if city narrows the gap with these set of fixtures, the momentum might shift.

Geez I wish I knew the outcome of this title race. Nervy like hell, but maybe that's how these situations are meant to be :indifferent:

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Next 5 games -

I expect us to get 12-13 points out of 15. City on the other hand under normal circumstances should be dropping atleast 2 points, but those shitty London clubs can't be trusted to do us any favors.
I actually expect us to get 15 out of 15 and also believe City will get 15 out of 15 as well. I just don't see Newcastle and Everton beating City at their own turf, and neither do I see Arsenal, Chelsea and West Ham beating them at the Etihad. So I would want to see us beating all those 5 teams we'll be playing against.

RedForever2014

Next 5 games -

If we somehow maintain the 4 point gap after these 5 games (and ideally we should at the minimum), it'll become really interesting from there onwards. However, if city narrows the gap with these set of fixtures, the momentum might shift.

Geez I wish I knew the outcome of this title race. Nervy like hell, but maybe that's how these situations are meant to be :indifferent:
I actually expect us to get 15 out of 15 and also believe City will get 15 out of 15 as well. I just don't see Newcastle and Everton beating City at their own turf, and neither do I see Arsenal, Chelsea and West Ham beating them at the Etihad. So I would want to see us beating all those 5 teams we'll be playing against.
Personally I think injuries and lack of depth will see us drop points here and there, whilst City will build momentum by using cup matches to keep squad players fit. They might drop points in the odd match, but don't need to be top of the table until late April, once the League Cup Final is done along with any FA Cup semi. Their squad will then ensure they win their CL matches whilst still winning weekend PL matches, we'll struggle in that respect as there's no rotation for the front three.

If Gini and Fabinho are out of the next match along with the suspended Milner, then we've Keita alongside Henderson in midfield, or a 1-2 of Hendo, Keita and Lallana. That doesn't fill me with confidence against a good Leicester side.

Wet Ham away is always tricky, United are playing well and will be determined to do us (and nearly always do at their place). We should beat Bournemouth and Watford at home.

In the 5 matches after that we've Spurs and Chelsea in and amongst any CL QF, so we really need to win the next 5. Maybe if we're 7 or 8 points ahead after that then we can cope with that month when we've CL and Spurs/Chelsea.