• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Your thoughts on the season to come - Prediction time

sms1986

If Gini and Fabinho are out of the next match along with the suspended Milner, then we've Keita alongside Henderson in midfield, or a 1-2 of Hendo, Keita and Lallana. That doesn't fill me with confidence against a good Leicester side.
I suspect Gini will be back for Leicester going by what this article says from before Palace - https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/334562-liverpool-injury-update-alexander-arnold-wijnaldum. I've not heard much about Fabinho, but maybe that's a good thing.

RedForever2014

I don't think the squad is light in certain areas. We have at least 2 players in every position. Buying the wrong "big name" player right now could effect the dressing room etc - so it has to be the right player. Buying a player for the reserves doesn't really help either.

I don't share the view that we need another player. I think we have enough to win the league and have a good run in the Champions League. We just need to stay focussed and players need to take it a game at a time.

Our current bench options like Shaqiri, Studge and Origi have all contributed to this season. Klopp sees the wider and bigger picture more than any of us. And this summer will see many of our back ups leaving - what I really admire about Klopp is that he only goes for quality, and right now if you are a player and Klopp comes calling - what do you think would happen? This summer will be interesting.

Its a shame we didn't sign Pulisic, but I think that was Klopp's call - not our american owners.

I am perfectly fine with the squad that we have - and just want the momentum to keep going to get us over the line. We don't need another player to potentially disrupt the dressing room right now.
We don't have two players for each outfield position, we have 19 senior outfield players, several of whom are injury prone.

Origi and Sturridge have contributed very little, no more than players at their age, with their international experience, and on their wages, should be contributing, in fact much less.

You simply wouldn't want either starting at Old Trafford, or indeed in any must win PL match against anyone half decent.

We therefore have no depth in the forwards. Shaqiri is an option to rotate one of the front three in a PL match, but you need another.

We are short in defence, that cannot be argued against when we are fielding midfielders at right back.

We are light at FB on both sides. Having CM filling in there when we have injuries is not ideal. It would have been okay if Clyne had not decided he wanted to leave.
We chose to let Clyne leave, it's LFC's decision, we could have said sorry but you've had two years wages whilst injured, we're in with a shot of the title and you need to stay and contribute.

Red Spud

One of the main reasons we find ourselves in this great position we are in now is because we have a well though out, long term transfer strategy. Its counter productive to suddenly rip this up just to get some extra bodies in the squad in case we happen to get more injuries.

I am absolutely certain we already have our primary transfer targets already, if there was a chance we could get get them in during this window then obviously would make sense to try. If we cant get them in now I'd rather wait until the summer rather than getting in second / third / fourth choice targets now.

cynicaloldgit

Green, not greed
Ad-free Member
Geez I wish I knew the outcome of this title race. Nervy like hell, but maybe that's how these situations are meant to be :indifferent:
I’ll save you the worry: we will get robbed by the refs somewhere along the line; City will get every single decision in their favour and pip us to the title by a couple of points.

You can sleep easy now.

sms1986

One of the main reasons we find ourselves in this great position we are in now is because we have a well though out, long term transfer strategy. Its counter productive to suddenly rip this up just to get some extra bodies in the squad in case we happen to get more injuries.

I am absolutely certain we already have our primary transfer targets already, if there was a chance we could get get them in during this window then obviously would make sense to try. If we cant get them in now I'd rather wait until the summer rather than getting in second / third / fourth choice targets now.
Yeah, this isn't a fluke season where we're title challengers once then go back to challenging for fourth again - I would be surprised if we don't challenge for the title again next season. Klopp won't end his time here without a trophy - in fact, I think we'll have some very successful seasons with him in charge.

RedForever2014

Yeah, this isn't a fluke season where we're title challengers once then go back to challenging for fourth again - I would be surprised if we don't challenge for the title again next season. Klopp won't end his time here without a trophy - in fact, I think we'll have some very successful seasons with him in charge.
It would be a blow to not end the current season with a trophy, Klopp's 4th.

What was encouraging to me though, was I read somewhere him discussing his contract and saying now isn't the time to discuss an extension.

But in saying that, to me that sounded like he's not hard and fast on his usual seven years being his limit, so I have some hope that he'll extend it at some point and end up staying 10+ years.

For me that sort of duration is what it'd take to really see through the opportunity to not just win things once, but multiple times.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
I’ll save you the worry: we will get robbed by the refs somewhere along the line; City will get every single decision in their favour and pip us to the title by a couple of points.

You can sleep easy now.
They don't agree on Blue Moon. They are convinced there is a massive conspiracy by the officials and the FA to deny them the title and give it us....

Why are football fans so paranoid.....lol

dockers_strike

There was a fair bit of anxiety in the ground on Saturday and if that continues at home games, it will transmit to the players sooner or later. The players appear to be handling the 'pressure' very well right now so it is essential the crowd doesnt become the catalyst.

Yes, I know the fans are starting to feel the pressure. Every game more and more people arent just starting to believe, they actually do believe. Heck, even on another webforum, the biggest grinches ever are starting to agree we're in the best position for years with the best manager and squad for years.

Ive got to laugh at city fans and their 'conspiracy' claims. If that was the case, we'd have been getting pens every game, home and away, since the season started. Their sense of self entitlement is amazing. I used to go to Maine Road with a couple of mates who were city fans. City were an honest club in those days with decent fans. Now, I just cant abide them. Even though I dislike United, they've achieved what they have through good management (and a fair bit of help from Howard Webb!). Not everyone will agree but I respect what United have done unlike city who act like a mega roll over lottery winner and think they can bully their way around the gaff.

The lads I go the game with made what I thought was a good point. We dont have to be better than city, we just have to be better than every team in the league that we play between now and the end of the season.

Noo Noo

Just keep winning. That's all.

I'd like to think that if we could have one or two games where we completely dominate / blow a team away then that would help to lift any anxiety. Although as the season wears on I've now doubt it will continue to build, especially if City also keep picking up points.

sms1986

They don't agree on Blue Moon. They are convinced there is a massive conspiracy by the officials and the FA to deny them the title and give it us....

Why are football fans so paranoid.....lol
To some there’s a conspiracy everywhere.lol

RedForever2014

There was a fair bit of anxiety in the ground on Saturday and if that continues at home games, it will transmit to the players sooner or later. The players appear to be handling the 'pressure' very well right now so it is essential the crowd doesnt become the catalyst.

Yes, I know the fans are starting to feel the pressure. Every game more and more people arent just starting to believe, they actually do believe. Heck, even on another webforum, the biggest grinches ever are starting to agree we're in the best position for years with the best manager and squad for years.

Ive got to laugh at city fans and their 'conspiracy' claims. If that was the case, we'd have been getting pens every game, home and away, since the season started. Their sense of self entitlement is amazing. I used to go to Maine Road with a couple of mates who were city fans. City were an honest club in those days with decent fans. Now, I just cant abide them. Even though I dislike United, they've achieved what they have through good management (and a fair bit of help from Howard Webb!). Not everyone will agree but I respect what United have done unlike city who act like a mega roll over lottery winner and think they can bully their way around the gaff.

The lads I go the game with made what I thought was a good point. We dont have to be better than city, we just have to be better than every team in the league that we play between now and the end of the season.
Agree with every word.

City have become a vile club, totally classless, self entitled, and parochial.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Next 5 games -
LFC: Leicester (H), West Ham (A), Bournemouth (H), Man Utd (A) Watford (H)

City: Newcastle (A), Arsenal (H), Chelsea (H), Everton (A), West Ham (H)

I expect us to get 12-13 points out of 15. City on the other hand under normal circumstances should be dropping atleast 2 points, but those shitty London clubs can't be trusted to do us any favors.

If we somehow maintain the 4 point gap after these 5 games (and ideally we should at the minimum), it'll become really interesting from there onwards. However, if city narrows the gap with these set of fixtures, the momentum might shift.

Geez I wish I knew the outcome of this title race. Nervy like hell, but maybe that's how these situations are meant to be :indifferent:
Next 3 for us are must wins. Hard to look beyond that. We need some extra insurance going into the phase of games that starts with United. Run-in starts proper and the CL kicks in again too. Both us and City will drop points then. It's inevitable. Two of City's next three games are also ones where they might drop points (Arsenal/Chelsea). After that their run-in looks relatively kind. Only United away and Spurs at home (possibly also Palace away) look difficult. Hard to judge them given how they collapsed against Palace and Leicester. Hopefully we might see a repetition of that somewhere along the way.

The aim should be to get to the United game and still be 4 points (or more) clear. If we can do that we'll be in great shape. After that the outcome of games become much more difficult to predict because of the pressure building, CL commitments and the fact that teams threatened with relegation sometimes get a performance boost.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Personally I think injuries and lack of depth will see us drop points here and there, whilst City will build momentum by using cup matches to keep squad players fit.
Lack of luck more than lacing of depth. How many teams would succumb to having 3 out of 4 of their centre halves gone down injured at the same damn time? City's depth are a bit too overrated if you asked me. Just take a look at the 3 matches they lost, all of which didn't have Fernandinho in it. If they were to lose that Brazilian enforcer of theirs in the next month (very likely as I believe they rushed him back to fitness), they will suffer again. Just need to meet a midfielder tougher than him and crack his heels or twist his knees again and City will be dropping points.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Next 3 for us are must wins. Hard to look beyond that. We need some extra insurance going into the phase of games that starts with United. Run-in starts proper and the CL kicks in again too. Both us and City will drop points then. It's inevitable. Two of City's next three games are also ones where they might drop points (Arsenal/Chelsea). After that their run-in looks relatively kind. Only United away and Spurs at home (possibly also Palace away) look difficult. Hard to judge them given how they collapsed against Palace and Leicester. Hopefully we might see a repetition of that somewhere along the way.

The aim should be to get to the United game and still be 4 points (or more) clear. If we can do that we'll be in great shape. After that the outcome of games become much more difficult to predict because of the pressure building, CL commitments and the fact that teams threatened with relegation sometimes get a performance boost.
The next game for me is the most important so far this season.
We must beat Leicester, to make sure we dont go away to West Ham in 2nd place (albeit we'd go back top by beating them).
Psychology will play a massive part in the remainder of this season.

RedForever2014

Lack of luck more than lacing of depth. How many teams would succumb to having 3 out of 4 of their centre halves gone down injured at the same damn time? City's depth are a bit too overrated if you asked me. Just take a look at the 3 matches they lost, all of which didn't have Fernandinho in it. If they were to lose that Brazilian enforcer of theirs in the next month (very likely as I believe they rushed him back to fitness), they will suffer again. Just need to meet a midfielder tougher than him and crack his heels or twist his knees again and City will be dropping points.
Given that Gomez, Lovren and Matip are known to be injury prone players, I don't see it as bad luck that all three were injured at the same time, I see it as a consequence of allowing that situation to exist within the squad.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Given that Gomez, Lovren and Matip are known to be injury prone players, I don't see it as bad luck that all three were injured at the same time, I see it as a consequence of allowing that situation to exist within the squad.

So what you're really saying is,if we'd spent more money on defenders in the summer or ship in one during january,this wouldn't be an isssue.

Guy give it a rest will ya,it's totally bad luck 3 players in the same position get injured at the same time,why is it every post you gotta have a little chip at Klopp and his transfer policy/money spending lol

RedForever2014

So what you're really saying is,if we'd spent more money on defenders in the summer or ship in one during january,this wouldn't be an isssue.

Guy give it a rest will ya,it's totally bad luck 3 players in the same position get injured at the same time,why is it every post you gotta have a little chip at Klopp and his transfer policy/money spending lol
I said in the summer that given the injury prone nature of the centre backs we should replace one of them for someone more reliable.

It was wholly predictable, and predicted, that injuries to the centre backs could be an issue.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
We therefore have no depth in the forwards. Shaqiri is an option to rotate one of the front three in a PL match, but you need another.
The suggestion from Klopp is that Oxlade Chamberlain is ahead of schedule.

We are short in defence, that cannot be argued against when we are fielding midfielders at right back.
I think you are understating the kind of injuries we’ve had.

At the same time we’ve had Lovren, Matip, Gomez, and Trent out. Before suggesting the club have been negligent, you need to think what Man City - the poster boys of squad depth - would be playing if they lost four players at the same time from the back line.

The question is how much depth do you think we need to carry? We’ve got between seven and nine lads for the back line. Should we have more, just in case 50% get injured at the same time? How do you keep those lads happy? How do even bring them in if the only time they get their game is a rare injury crisis?

Reading between the lines on Clyne’s departure, it seems to have been driven by the player. Which should tell you everything about how professional footballers feel when they find themselves in the very fringes of the team. We know Klopp values squad harmony above everything else, so no surprise he acquiesced to the move.

The is also now an argument that Klopp felt the pecking order at right back is Trent>Gomez>Milner>Camacho>Clyne.

Last edited:

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I said in the summer that given the injury prone nature of the centre backs we should replace one of them for someone more reliable.

It was wholly predictable, and predicted, that injuries to the centre backs could be an issue.
I agree, but that’s personel - not numbers. This isn’t a case for bringing on more lads. It’s a case for replacing the ones we have.

I’ve said before that In the summer, I would move on Matip and Lovren, and replace them with one good centre back, and then use Philips and Fabinho as fourth choice options.

I think it’s possible that against a number of the poorer sides in the league, who’ll have little interest in attacking, playing Fabinho as a centre back is a good way of getting another midfielder on the pitch.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
If we dont win the league title, it wont be because we didn't sign a centre half in the summer.
A centre half who incidentally would have had to be sufficiently good to command a starting spot, or sufficiently bad to be 5th in the pecking order.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
The suggestion from Klopp is that Oxlade Chamberlain is ahead of schedule.

I think you are understating the kind of injuries we’ve had.

At the same time we’ve had Lovren, Matip, Gomez, and Trent out. Before suggesting the club have been negligent, you need to think what Man City - the poster boys of squad depth - would be playing if they lost four players at the same time from the back line.

The question is how much depth do you think we need to carry? We’ve got between seven and nine lads for the back line. Should we have more, just in case 50% get injured at the same time? How do you keep those lads happy? How do even bring them in if the only time they get their game is a rare injury crisis?

Reading between the lines on Clyne’s departure, it seems to have been driven by the player. Which should tell you everything about how professional footballers feel when they find themselves in the very fringes of the team. We know Klopp values squad harmony above everything else, so no surprise he acquiesced to the move.

The is also now an argument that Klopp felt the pecking order at right back is Trent>Gomez>Milner>Camacho>Clyne.
I also think that there has to be space in the squad so that youth can come through eg Trent and Gomez are prime examples. If you don't have this space, it limits the chances of these players coming through.

Having a local lad who's been through the academy - is worth gold dust - and the more of those that we can develop the better.

Also, I'm pretty sure Klopp loves developing players - i think he likes seeing hunger in players, and those that really want to get better. So he's not scared to give the likes of Camacho and Jones a chance.

As for predictions - I am quite sure that by the time we play united, we will have more than a 4 point gap over city. They are going to slip up in the next 3 games.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
Money talks.

And it doesn’t take as many people as you might think. Just a few decision makers and some bent referees.
Unfortunately your pet theory doesn’t hold up in the face of the facts. Since the start of the premier league we have had the 3rd highest number of penalties and the 4th highest number of wins. Good stats here https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/att_pen_goal?se=-1
If there was a conspiracy to stop us winning the league you would expect those numbers to be very different particularly the number of penalties. Maybe, just maybe, we haven’t been good enough.

jaffod

The more I think about it the more I think losing to Bayern would be the best thing to happen. I don't think we can sustain a challenge on two fronts given the injury-prone nature of several of our players and the lack of options to rotate the front 3.