• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Your thoughts on the season to come - Prediction time

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
The latest TV Fixtures have just been released and it now looks like we will play AFTER city in 7 of the 9 match days.

This could ramp the pressure on us and all the small details do make the difference. I also found it interesting that the Dubai break had absolutely no report or pics from it. Its like Jurgen closed the outside world for a few days. Hopefully the whole team have been focused and know what they have to do.

I am getting nervous.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
It's all part of the conspiracy
The point is it’s very subtle. Only a select few fans can see what’s really going on. The rest of us are too dumb. Maybe they will let us get really close again this year just to throw people off the scent that there is really a conspiracy to stop us winning it. Wheels within wheels my friend, wheels within wheels.

wibseyred

The latest TV Fixtures have just been released and it now looks like we will play AFTER city in 7 of the 9 match days.

This could ramp the pressure on us and all the small details do make the difference.
Man City are under just as much pressure possibly even more they have to win those games too no other result is good enough.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
The point is it’s very subtle. Only a select few fans can see what’s really going on. The rest of us are too dumb. Maybe they will let us get really close again this year just to throw people off the scent that there is really a conspiracy to stop us winning it. Wheels within wheels my friend, wheels within wheels.
Apologies, but I'm way too dumb to understand what you're on about.

Alright Now

This could ramp the pressure on us and all the small details do make the difference. I also found it interesting that the Dubai break had absolutely no report or pics from it. Its like Jurgen closed the outside world for a few days. Hopefully the whole team have been focused and know what they have to do.

I am getting nervous.
You’re always nervous. You should try to be more like me. After we win, the pressure will be on City. Think of it is a circular problem for Pep. Hope that helps.

Alright Now

I don’t know what this means, but I really enjoyed it.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin

I am getting nervous.
You could see it otherwise. Every time we'll win a game, the pressure will be on City to win theirs again... during a full week. In comparison, we will have a few hours pressure if City win a game before we play. Which one is better? :)

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
Apologies, but I'm way too dumb to understand what you're on about.
It’s a bit of a running joke. A few pages back in this thread @cynicaloldgit was claiming there was a conspiracy by the FA to stop us winning the league so no point in getting our hopes up. Other posters routinely claim refs are biased, corrupt etc to stop us winning. I think it’s all paranoid nonsense but no doubt city will get a dubious penalty in the last seconds of stoppage time on the last day of the season to win on goal differance and I will look very stupid.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
It’s a bit of a running joke. A few pages back in this thread @cynicaloldgit was claiming there was a conspiracy by the FA to stop us winning the league so no point in getting our hopes up. Other posters routinely claim refs are biased, corrupt etc to stop us winning. I think it’s all paranoid nonsense but no doubt city will get a dubious penalty in the last seconds of stoppage time on the last day of the season to win on goal differance and I will look very stupid.
Watching the Accrington Stanley v Derby game yesterday, and I'm sure I heard one of the commentators saying "If that was a Premier League game it would have been a yellow card, but the ref is giving them some leeway because it's the FA Cup"

Ref was fucking awful by the way.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
I reckon that Martin Tyler is already practicing that "Ageurrrrroooooooooo. I'll swear you'll never see anything like this again."

Having said that, I think we can do it at the Huddersfield game at Anfield..... and I don't feel bad if they get relegated now.

theres always tommorrow

If we win it this year I’m changing my name tag
I know this won’t be popular but I don’t think that we strengthened our chances of winning the league with our losses in the FA Cup and particularly losing to Man City. In both cases we played a tactical game instead of just going for a win that we were more than capable of achieving.
My view is that winning builds mental strength whereas tactically managing physical endurance pays fewer dividends. The important thing is that only the former can fuel the latter. It doesn’t work the other way around unless the opposition is so poor that we can afford a few off days. Players with downtime lose their playing sharpness and muscles switch off at crucial times or they fail to respond to that extra effort required.
Like many here I care less about winning the FA Cup than I do about winning the league but I would question whether we can make it if we haven’t yet built the depth required to compete in all competitions and keep the squad sharp.
In the case of the Man City game we have given them the one thing we can ill afford - belief. I honestly don’t know if it was tactical plan, we had an off day, or that our mental strength crumbled a bit but we do know how to beat these guys and we just didn’t play to our strengths, which is full on, balls to the wall, heavy metal football. They did. If we had then their performances since would not have returned to the sublime level they are now achieving. Whereas we are still getting results but not convincing ones.
I think that in the next few games we need to make a statement that we are NOT losing this. It will give the players and the management confidence to see this out and prove that downtime means better performances. More importantly that no one is going to catch us. Put them to the sword I say and snuff out any notion that we are not good enough.

Abdel

I know this won’t be popular but I don’t think that we strengthened our chances of winning the league with our losses in the FA Cup and particularly losing to Man City. In both cases we played a tactical game instead of just going for a win that we were more than capable of achieving.
My view is that winning builds mental strength whereas tactically managing physical endurance pays fewer dividends. The important thing is that only the former can fuel the latter. It doesn’t work the other way around unless the opposition is so poor that we can afford a few off days. Players with downtime lose their playing sharpness and muscles switch off at crucial times or they fail to respond to that extra effort required.
Like many here I care less about winning the FA Cup than I do about winning the league but I would question whether we can make it if we haven’t yet built the depth required to compete in all competitions and keep the squad sharp.
In the case of the Man City game we have given them the one thing we can ill afford - belief. I honestly don’t know if it was tactical plan, we had an off day, or that our mental strength crumbled a bit but we do know how to beat these guys and we just didn’t play to our strengths, which is full on, balls to the wall, heavy metal football. They did. If we had then their performances since would not have returned to the sublime level they are now achieving. Whereas we are still getting results but not convincing ones.
I think that in the next few games we need to make a statement that we are NOT losing this. It will give the players and the management confidence to see this out and prove that downtime means better performances. More importantly that no one is going to catch us. Put them to the sword I say and snuff out any notion that we are not good enough.
We dont have a squad to compete in all front , Being tactical may not be a guarantee for us to win the title but staying in the FA Cup would have increased the risk to see our important players taking injuries .
as for the City match , they won with small margin and we always play tactical against , we won 3 times Last year with that way .
The only regret i have is not seeing Fabinho starting , we would have controlled the Midfield better and played more positive

Commando

Ad-free Member
I think we can do it at the Huddersfield game at Anfield..... and I don't feel bad if they get relegated now.
Got a day out at St James' planned with my boy a week later.
Be nice to win it there
For the sake of my nerves, I'd prefer it to be a soon as possible. I want us to keep winning and City to slip up a couple of times.

Danny_

City are back to smashing teams and we seem like we are just barely holding on. We just have to keep jumping one fence at a time. I still am not optimistic but with every win, the pressure mounts on them also as we inch closer.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
They've slipped an extra game in for City (Wednesday 6th February), in anticipation of them missing a game the weekend they play the League Cup final I'm guessing.

I don't see anywhere in the fixture list where they've done this for Chelsea though.

Danny_

Back to being massive underdogs. We didn't take our chance today and while we are 5 points ahead, I think people underestimate how hard it is going to be for us not to make more slip ups the closer we get to the prize. We haven't won it in 29 years. We are far more likely to slip up than City are.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Back to being massive underdogs. We didn't take our chance today and while we are 5 points ahead, I think people underestimate how hard it is going to be for us not to make more slip ups the closer we get to the prize. We haven't won it in 29 years. We are far more likely to slip up than City are.
What the fuck?

We’re five points ahead of them.

sms1986

I’m not sure if you’re serious or not, but we have much more room for error than City do.

lfc.8

Margins are so fine. The difference between winning the league and not. We have a lead of five points, potentially maybe only four if we factor in goal difference, at least at this stage, which is nothing to be scoffed at, but those two extra points would certainly have helped.

While we gained a point on City, which is good, reality is we dropped two points in a game we should have won. Leicester are not a great team, far from it, and we should have done better. Equally so we should have had a penalty. Decisions like these cost games and they cost points.

14 games to play so some more twists and turns to come. Just hope we see this through and finally once more do it.

sms1986

Margins are so fine. The difference between winning the league and not. We have a lead of five points, potentially maybe only four if we factor in goal difference, at least at this stage, which is nothing to be scoffed at, but those two extra points would certainly have helped.

While we gained a point on City, which is good, reality is we dropped two points in a game we should have won. Leicester are not a great team, far from it, and we should have done better. Equally so we should have had a penalty. Decisions like these cost games and they cost points.

14 games to play so some more twists and turns to come. Just hope we see this through and finally once more do it.
City dropped three points in a game they should have won as well.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
On the basis that if we drop more than 4 points we lose our lead, due to goal difference.
Yeah, but that’s not what he said. He said our five point lead is only worth four with City’s superior GD.

I’ve heard of GD being worth an extra point, but I’ve never heard of a team losing a point because of an inferior one.

Our lead is five points. It could feel like six if we had a better GD, but it can’t feel like four because we haven’t.

lfc.8

Yeah, but that’s not what he said. He said our five point lead is only worth four with City’s superior GD.

I’ve heard of GD being worth an extra point, but I’ve never heard of a team losing a point because of an inferior one.

Our lead is five points. It could feel like six if we had a better GD, but it can’t feel like four because we haven’t.
We drop four points fine. We drop five we're second on goal difference. As it stands.

StEtiennesLeftBoot

Nearly back on our perch....
We dont have a squad to compete in all front , Being tactical may not be a guarantee for us to win the title but staying in the FA Cup would have increased the risk to see our important players taking injuries .
as for the City match , they won with small margin and we always play tactical against , we won 3 times Last year with that way .
The only regret i have is not seeing Fabinho starting , we would have controlled the Midfield better and played more positive
The citeh mancs were afraid of us... and it was a small small margin believe my doubting friends we are at the start of something special......

Barnestormer

Left wing.
What I fear most about this is some will end up throwing the baby out with the bathwater if we dont win the league this year, despite already amassing our greatest post golden years haul. As well as underspending the usual customers by parts of a billion. Klopp will win us the title, the only question if its this year or next. Just dont run away with the droids if you cant go to space fighter college this season, Luke.

Last edited: