Your thoughts on the season to come - Prediction time

Alright Now

Yes, I have wondered since the moment it happened whether the John Stones clearance might end up in that special LFC box of horrors that contains Gerrard falling over against Chelsea and Macheda's injury time goal against Villa.

If you go back to the start of this thread you will see plenty of blind optimism that this is our year with the occasional miserable bastard like me bringing down the mood by saying I didn't think we'd be able to sustain a serious challenge. That assessment was based more on what we were up against rather than how good we might be. City are no obviously weaker this season and making up a 25 point gap seemed highly improbable in a single season.

Yet here we are with 12 games to go level on points and with a game in hand (albeit at Old Trafford). What once seemed almost impossible is now definitely possible but it remains a huge task against a team with that amount of strength in depth. Personally I think if we were able to win the title this season it would be the greatest title win since Shankly won it in 72/73, possibly even since he first won it in the sixties, such was the scale of the task facing us at the start of the season and the weight of expectation and pressure on us given how long it's been since we last won it.

Previous failed title challenges in 08/09 and 13/14 have been followed by swift collapses. I think this season is very reminiscent of 08/09 in that we are up against a formidable opponent, got good early results based largely on great defending with the occasional bit of luck thrown in and with one or two grumbles from some fans on the style of play. We have even had the same January dip. What happens next is really important. If we do fall short then the reaction has to be more measured than it was in 08/09 if we are to use this experience as a springboard for another challenge next season with (hopefully) a stronger squad. We are over-achieving this season by going toe to toe with City and it's important for us to remember that.
Awesome post.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
If we don't win the league, the City match was the obvious turning point. We were flying, they were on the ropes, staying 7 clear or going 10 clear might have given them too much to do.

That ref decision impacted that match, Klopp didn't make enough of it, and we also let them off the hook with a poor team selection.

For me City look too powerful now to drop many more points. They're getting easy cup draws too.

Whether we drop more will depend very much on injuries. Also on Klopp getting his team selections spot on.

If we don't suffer another centre back crisis and the midfield/forwards stay mostly fit, we might get very close to it. But we saw against Leicester and West Ham what happens when our lack of depth is exposed.

The CL is the free hit this season, so it's good we have that match to warm up for Old Trafford.
The failure to send Kompany was an obvious shocker, but how many times do we see this. Referees bottle these decisions in the opening stages of the big televised games.

I bet Pogba gets away with one at United as well.

Ultimately it wasn’t the Kompany decision that cost us that game - you can’t go into games hoping for a sending off. It was luck. City got it, and we didn’t. We’re 12 millimetres from taking the lead. Mane’s shot cannons of the inside of the post and comes out. Sane’s goes in.

And that’s OK. City and Liverpool are very, very closely matched. Games between us are always going to come down to the finest of margins.

On the power of City, let’s see what happens, and not contribute to the unreasonable pressure that is being heaped on our lads, in the midst of the best season since 1990. What I know is that City’s form this season is 2.4 points a game, and ours is 2.5.

There is no reason to think that the odds are stacked against us. City are a phenomenal team, but we have shown that we are every bit their equal.

RedForever2014

The failure to send Kompany was an obvious shocker, but how many times do we see this. Referees bottle these decisions in the opening stages of the big televised games.

I bet Pogba gets away with one at United as well.

Ultimately it wasn’t the Kompany decision that cost us that game - you can’t go into games hoping for a sending off. It was luck. City got it, and we didn’t. We’re 12 millimetres from taking the lead. Mane’s shot cannons of the inside of the post and comes out. Sane’s goes in.

And that’s OK. City and Liverpool are very, very closely matched. Games between us are always going to come down to the finest of margins.

On the power of City, let’s see what happens, and not contribute to the unreasonable pressure that is being heaped on our lads, in the midst of the best season since 1990. What I know is that City’s form this season is 2.4 points a game, and ours is 2.5.

There is no reason to think that the odds are stacked against us. City are a phenomenal team, but we have shown that we are every bit their equal.
Have to say that when there's an obvious sending off during the first half, with the match in the balance, it absolutely affects the result.

The near misses are quite another thing, but playing against 10 men for whatever it would have been (an hour?) would have seen us draw or win that match IMO.

Also, the ref had no issues in the fixture last season sending Mane off. So it's definitely all one way.

jaffod

Have to say that when there's an obvious sending off during the first half, with the match in the balance, it absolutely affects the result.

The near misses are quite another thing, but playing against 10 men for whatever it would have been (an hour?) would have seen us draw or win that match IMO.

Also, the ref had no issues in the fixture last season sending Mane off. So it's definitely all one way.
Yes, Jonathon fucking Moss who sent Mane off, another one who's name seems to crop up far too often in these conversations.

Mascot88

Admin
Moss missed a handball which should have been a pen to us in the build up to their first goal, we could have been 3 up and cruising after an hour.
Fucks sake. You ask for a decision that gave us the points, you’re given one and then you respond with...yeah but, yeah but.

The ‘yeah but’ game goes on forever.

The reality is that incidents change football games. If a different decision gets made in the twentieth minute, a whole different game of football then plays out.

This is why looking at individual decisions and then extrapolating that the same result, aside from that decision, would be the same, is silly.

Mascot88

Admin
Yes, Jonathon fucking Moss who sent Mane off, another one who's name seems to crop up far too often in these conversations.
Micheal Oliver is an excellent referee. Jon Moss is abysmal. One of these men is physically fit and able to keep up with play to the degree he has a good chance of making the right call. The other is an aging, lumbering, beer gut, who is constantly blowing out of his arse, yards behind play and forced into guessing his way through matches.

Which is which, I’ll leave you to your deductions.

Commando

Micheal Oliver is an excellent referee. Jon Moss is abysmal. One of these men is physically fit and able to keep up with play to the degree he has a good chance of making the right call. The other is an aging, lumbering, beer gut, who is constantly blowing out of his arse, yards behind play and forced into guessing his way through matches.

Which is which, I’ll leave you to your deductions.
Ooh, ooh, ooh, I know this one.

jaffod

Fucks sake. You ask for a decision that gave us the points, you’re given one and then you respond with...yeah but, yeah but.

The ‘yeah but’ game goes on forever.

The reality is that incidents change football games. If a different decision gets made in the twentieth minute, a whole different game of football then plays out.

This is why looking at individual decisions and then extrapolating that the same result, aside from that decision, would be the same, is silly.
So I'm supposed to ignore the fact Moss missed a penalty that could have seen us leading 3-0 instead of 2-1 after an hour?

That missed handball by Robbo didn't give us the points, you've just said yourself a different decision means the game is completely different so if Moss gave a free-kick to Palace it probably would have finished 3-2.

Dane

NEXT!
City have a minimum 2 games more to play than us.
One against Newport County, so no drama for them there, but the next round opponents will probably see them having to field a stronger side.

I'd personally love to see City in the finals of both FA Cup and CL.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
City have a minimum 2 games more to play than us.
One against Newport County, so no drama for them there, but the next round opponents will probably see them having to field a stronger side.

I'd personally love to see City in the finals of both FA Cup and CL.
The more they have to play Fernandinho and risk him getting injured the better. Their win % drops by 20+ % when he doesn’t play. Nothing serious just a broken Fibia like Gomez so he’s out for 6 weeks or so.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
I can't see both us and City winning all of our remaining games. The games City have lost this season haven't been against the top six, as is well known. They've lost games and points to lesser lights and I'm pretty sure it'll happen again, to them and us.

On the other hand, maybe the title will be decided by Man Utd. They lose to us and beat City. That would be irony with cream and a cherry on top.

Mascot88

Admin
That missed handball by Robbo didn't give us the points, you've just said yourself a different decision means the game is completely different so if Moss gave a free-kick to Palace it probably would have finished 3-2.
It literally did give us the points. The game finished 4-3 and that was our fourth goal. Our goal in the West Ham game was three yards offside.

That’s just having this argument on your terms. You’ll routinely claim that any decision not in our favour can be reversed with no impact on the flow of the game other than correcting that mistake, but as soon as anyone counters you say that you say that you can tell what happens after that.

Why does the palace game finish 3-2. You don’t know that. When the goal is ruled out that could give Palace the kick they need to go and get the equaliser. They could even go on and win.

If there is no way to tell how results pan out should a key decision be reversed, then let’s agree that this whole game of ifs and ands is pointless. But you don’t get to act like Nostradamus when we get done by a bad decision, while claiming ‘who knows what could happen’ when we’ve benefitted.

jaffod

It literally did give us the points. The game finished 4-3 and that was our fourth goal. Our goal in the West Ham game was three yards offside.

That’s just having this argument on your terms. You’ll routinely claim that any decision not in our favour can be reversed with no impact on the flow of the game other than correcting that mistake, but as soon as anyone counters you say that you say that you can tell what happens after that.

Why does the palace game finish 3-2. You don’t know that. When the goal is ruled out that could give Palace the kick they need to go and get the equaliser. They could even go on and win.

If there is no way to tell how results pan out should a key decision be reversed, then let’s agree that this whole game of ifs and ands is pointless. But you don’t get to act like Nostradamus when we get done by a bad decision, while claiming ‘who knows what could happen’ when we’ve benefitted.

I'm well aware a game wont neccesarily pan out the same way with a different decision made, but I'm pretty confident if the right decisions had been made in all our games this season we'd be in a much better position. I'll leave it at that.

Livvy

Alles wird gut
Everything is still possible for us, I'm absolutely enjoying our season until now. We have an amazing team and are still in a great position. Some people will only be happy if we would somehow manage to win every game, but... come on, we are Liverpool, of course it will be decided in last game of season :rolleyes: