• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Your thoughts on the season to come - Prediction time

RedForever2014

Burying your head means you can't actually see that our shite team and manager have us top of the league,i see it,maybe i'm seeing things.
Only just and not for long at this rate.

We're talking about what's likely to happen based on what has happened since January.

Sometimes it'd be nice to be a dog or goldfish and only have to think about what is the case today, but we're on here to discuss the broader issues so let's be able to express them.

RedForever2014

Haha, you've either copied that from a comment in the Echo or you're the same fella. If you are, Ive noticed you always post negative shit on the Echo as well as here. Well done!

Copied from the Echo "
RedForever1
We've played poorly a lot this season, getting results because of the defence and a workmanlike midfield.

We picked up points in the PL until January, but have only won three of the seven PL matches this year, three wins in nine if you include the FA Cup defeat and CL draw with Bayern.

We lost all three away group CL matches and lost in the League Cup at the first hurdle.

We knew our centre backs were injury prone and did nothing about it.

We never replaced Coutinho and we went for the cheapest possible backup to the front three in Shaqiri, a player with no pace.

Klopp clearly can't make clear headed decisions in the emotional heat of matches. His substitutions are appalling, leaving Keita on the bench and using Sturridge, Origi and Shaqiri.

Our squad is not as good as was made out, nor is our best 11 for that matter (lacks creativity), and Klopp is not using them as best he could.

Many Liverpool fans bury their heads in the sand and refuse to see it, but the club didn't do what was necessary last summer and we're paying for it now.

Too many injury prone players in defence, a lack of midfield creativity and no quality alternatives up front." https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-united-draw-wont-cost-15881334
So what if I make similar comments on different forums. I'm consistent.

waldaz

TIA Youth Team
I think the club did well last summer tbh, finally buying quality players without having to sell them. But we'll probably need another window like that, or even more, to try and close the gap with City, who will keep spending anyway. We certainly couldn't do it all in one summer.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member

We're talking about what's likely to happen based on what has happened since January.

Sometimes it'd be nice to be a dog or goldfish and only have to think about what is the case today, but we're on here to discuss the broader issues so let's be able to express them.
I guesstimate your guesstimation is wrong,no one can see into the future so i'd rather not constantly presume the worst case scenario is definitely going to happen,that's just me.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
@RedForever2014 mate, what was your expectation this season?

I’m pretty sure that you shared mine - to challenge for the title?

I don’t think either of us had any expectation that we’d run away with or have it sewn up in February. That’s how these posts read. You throwing a wobble, because we’ve dropped 15 points all season (the peerless City have dropped 16) and are not ten points clear. I think you’ve lost perspective and these rants are a bit over the top.

Did you think that winning this would be easy? That we wouldn’t need some luck? That there wouldn’t be ‘what if’ days?

We’re slap bang in this - we’re a point ahead at the top, with eleven to play. City won’t have all their own way either - they’ve just lost Fernandinho. To be heading into March with our destiny in our own hands, is more than I expected to be honest.

At the end of the day, our points haul from 27 games is brilliant. So let’s not fucking cry about who we did or didn’t sign. We’re having a great season.

RedForever2014

@RedForever2014 mate, what was your expectation this season?

I’m pretty sure that you shared mine - to challenge for the title?

I don’t think either of us had any expectation that we’d run away with or have it sewn up in February. That’s how these posts read. You throwing a wobble, because we’ve dropped 15 points all season (the peerless City have dropped 16) and are not ten points clear. I think you’ve lost perspective and these rants are a bit over the top.

Did you think that winning this would be easy? That we wouldn’t need some luck? That there wouldn’t be ‘what if’ days?

We’re slap bang in this - we’re a point ahead at the top, with eleven to play. City won’t have all their own way either - they’ve just lost Fernandinho. To be heading into March with our destiny in our own hands, is more than I expected to be honest.

At the end of the day, our points haul from 27 games is brilliant. So let’s not fucking cry about who we did or didn’t sign. We’re having a great season.
I hoped that we'd challenge despite flaws I could see - injury prone defenders, no midfield creativity due to no replacement for Coutinho (and no Fekir) and no similar options in the forwards beyond the front three due to going for the cheap option in Shaqiri (no pace).

I have never said I expected it sown up by now. But to so quickly give up a lead we had built is very disappointing, not just in itself but because it adds to the pressure in the late season that a 7 point margin could have helped with, particularly when we're trying to win it for the first time.

It's bad enough that we don't have the personnel we really need, but to see Klopp not making best use of what he does have is frustrating.

We may not have all the info he does, but any level of performance from Keita yesterday would have been better than what Sturridge, Origi and Shaqiri delivered.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I have never said I expected it sown up by now. But to so quickly give up a lead we had built is very disappointing, not just in itself but because it adds to the pressure in the late season that a 7 point margin could have helped with, particularly when we're trying to win it for the first time.
Yes, it’s frustrating to surrender our seven point lead, and let’s not forget we could have gone ten points with a win a City (and that game was incredibly tight margins), but the seven point lead in itself was something of an illusion, created by City having their dip, and with ours yet to happen.

Our dip was always going to happen by the way. We were never going to get through the season without dropping any points or having a couple of unexpected results against teams we should beat.

By any measure, the team are performing incredibly well. To have accumulated so many points by this stage is right up there with the best league campaigns. It’s a shame we’re trying to do this in the City megabucks era, as we would be home and dry by now.

I do think your expectations are out of whack with reality. You say there are flaws and deficiencies in the side, yet you hoped for a title challenge. I’m sorry but only 2-3 teams a season mount a serious challenge, and teams with deficiencies aren’t usually amongst them.

This isn’t to say that we can’t improve - we can always improve. We need more reliable Centre Back cover, and we need more options in attack. But this should not detract from the fact that Liverpool FC are a seriously good football team.

Every side has its weaknesses and areas of concern. Even City struggle to cover Fernandinho, and I’m not convinced their Centre Backs are much good. I think chasing a ‘finished’ squad is something of a mirage. We agree on the areas of the squad we need to invest in, and the business we need to do in the summer. By Christmas 2019 other problems and holes might have appeared. We’re never going to have a finished squad, we’ll always be improving. That’s as true for us as it is for City, Utd, Spurs and the rest.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Yes, it’s frustrating to surrender our seven point lead, and let’s not forget we could have gone ten points with a win a City (and that game was incredibly tight margins), but the seven point lead in itself was something of an illusion, created by City having their dip, and with ours yet to happen.

Our dip was always going to happen by the way. We were never going to get through the season without dropping any points or having a couple of unexpected results against teams we should beat.

By any measure, the team are performing incredibly well. To have accumulated so many points by this stage is right up there with the best league campaigns. It’s a shame we’re trying to do this in the City megabucks era, as we would be home and dry by now.

I do think your expectations are out of whack with reality. You say there are flaws and deficiencies in the side, yet you hoped for a title challenge. I’m sorry but only 2-3 teams a season mount a serious challenge, and teams with deficiencies aren’t usually amongst them.

This isn’t to say that we can’t improve - we can always improve. We need more reliable Centre Back cover, and we need more options in attack. But this should not detract from the fact that Liverpool FC are a seriously good football team.

Every side has its weaknesses and areas of concern. Even City struggle to cover Fernandinho, and I’m not convinced their Centre Backs are much good. I think chasing a ‘finished’ squad is something of a mirage. We agree on the areas of the squad we need to invest in, and the business we need to do in the summer. By Christmas 2019 other problems and holes might have appeared. We’re never going to have a finished squad, we’ll always be improving. That’s as true for us as it is for City, Utd, Spurs and the rest.
I mean just look at the left-back situation City, with all their megabucks, have had for the past two seasons now...

Noo Noo

I agree. No such thing as the perfect squad, only a really well balanced one. It is that balance that wins titles.

Just look at Leicester when they won it. They were far from having the best players but when you have a really well balanced team that compliments your manager and their tactics you can quickly build up a lot of momentum and become incredible difficult to beat. We are very difficult to beat, and our balance is not perfect but we're not far away either.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin

The broader issues... well, how about recognising our general progress over the last years then, after the mess Rodgers left us with? This seems to be a given for you, when it absolutely and definitely is not. We have made giant steps in the last years, compared with the wild and uncontrolled first season when Klopp came in. Do you even remember this, or is it you who has a memory problem?

Agree that our January - early February form hasn't been stellar, but most teams go through a rough patch during a while in a season. Man City have had theirs, and now it has been our turn. We'll come out of it rather sooner than later, and then we'll see how it pans out. But your consistent negativity is a bit astonishing to be honest. Even if we don't make it to the title this season, it will still have been a season of continued progress, giving much hope for the future. If you can't see that, then you need new spectacles.

Danny_

Even if we do only get second, the progress this season has been massive. You'd have to be an idiot to say otherwise. I am holding out hope for a miracle but I think that we are just unlucky to be against this City team. Any other year and we would be well in front at this point and much less pressure. Having looked at City's fixtures coming up, I can't see them dropping points until the Spurs game. So, they probably win the next 6 on the trot. We have to catch fire at this point and do the same or we can forget about the league this season. We are capable of doing it but the players need to stop thinking about our position and just win the next game.

belldiouf

TIA New Signing
As others have said, 90 points is typically the magic number to win the league. I think 95 this season might be the magic number, as I don't see City or ourselves getting 100 again this season. That means we need another 29 out of the 33 remaining . Hypothetically speaking, that would allow us to draw away to Everton and draw one out of Spurs/Chelsea at home, whilst winning the rest of the following fixtures:

Watford (H)
Burnley (H)
Fulham (A)
Southampton (A)
Cardiff (A)
Huddersfield (H)
Newcastle (A)
Wolves (H)

Southampton and Cardiff could be particularly tricky fixtures, as both will be scrapping to avoid relegation. Huddersfield will already be down, and Newcastle and Wolves should be safe with nothing to play for by the time those fixtures come around. I might be the most pessimistic person on this forum, but we are a real shout at the title here.

With all that said, we face the very real prospect of going out of the Champions League at the R16, along side our first round exits of the FA Cup and League Cup. If we don't push City all the way to the title at the very least, then I cant help but feel that it is ultimately a disappointing season.

Danny_

As others have said, 90 points is typically the magic number to win the league. I think 95 this season might be the magic number, as I don't see City or ourselves getting 100 again this season. That means we need another 29 out of the 33 remaining . Hypothetically speaking, that would allow us to draw away to Everton and draw one out of Spurs/Chelsea at home, whilst winning the rest of the following fixtures:

Watford (H)
Burnley (H)
Fulham (A)
Southampton (A)
Cardiff (A)
Huddersfield (H)
Newcastle (A)
Wolves (H)

Southampton and Cardiff could be particularly tricky fixtures, as both will be scrapping to avoid relegation. Huddersfield will already be down, and Newcastle and Wolves should be safe with nothing to play for by the time those fixtures come around. I might be the most pessimistic person on this forum, but we are a real shout at the title here.

With all that said, we face the very real prospect of going out of the Champions League at the R16, along side our first round exits of the FA Cup and League Cup. If we don't push City all the way to the title at the very least, then I cant help but feel that it is ultimately a disappointing season.
It would be disappointing to be so close and not do it. But, whatever happens, we have made massive strides this season. At the end of last season, we all agreed we needed a top class DM. We got one in Fabinho. Yeah, Keita hasn't worked out so far but there is still time. We are so very close but we lack a top class attacking midfielder/forward player. If we had gotten Fekir over the summer, who knows! We might be 7 points ahead in the league right now. Sadly, we didn't. But whatever happens, it has been a very good season. Also I disagree with you on the CL. I think we will beat Bayern at their place. If I had to put money on it, I'd say it's 60-40 in our favour.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
All I'm seeing is injury prone followed by blah, blah, blah.

Of our strongest back 5, 4 of them have been virtual ever presents.
Matip and Lovren appear to be of equal ability, and for as much as I've slated Matip in his time here, he's done fucking well recently.
Gomez was unfortunate as a result of a rash tackle.
Injury prone, blah, blah, blah my arse.

Danny Sarge

Just watched some quick highlights of Istanbul which almost brought me to tears yet again. But I was thinking at this stage of the season where we've had a few minor blips, it might be a good motivational tool for the boys to show that we can win this league and that we are still in control, seeing the fight from the players, the support from the fans and ultimately Gerrard lifting that trophy should be enough to inspire and give us a lift from now till the end of the campaign.

We need to get behind the boys. If we can maintain a cool head for these last 11 games then we should be champions.

Very hopeful red.

macca1970

I'm absolutely enjoying this season. Yes, we're on a little poor run at the moment (in relative terms), but to win the title, you have to push through when the times get tough.

Two games this week, so let's try and get those 6 points, whether it's by knocking in six goals, or by scraping a 1-0 in the 90th minute via an OG, no matter.

Progress in the champions league is an added bonus. i don;t buy this mindset that we have to choose one or the other. With so few games remaining, go out to win the lot of them.

RaoulDuke

Wind-Down Merchant
Reading RedForever2014s posts is like sitting next to and listening to Ted Striker in the Airplane movie.
Everyone who listened to his story committed suicide.
We are top and winning the League for the first time in ages.
But if you read Red2014 you might believe the end is nigh.

belldiouf

TIA New Signing
It would be disappointing to be so close and not do it. But, whatever happens, we have made massive strides this season. At the end of last season, we all agreed we needed a top class DM. We got one in Fabinho. Yeah, Keita hasn't worked out so far but there is still time. We are so very close but we lack a top class attacking midfielder/forward player. If we had gotten Fekir over the summer, who knows! We might be 7 points ahead in the league right now. Sadly, we didn't. But whatever happens, it has been a very good season. Also I disagree with you on the CL. I think we will beat Bayern at their place. If I had to put money on it, I'd say it's 60-40 in our favour.
I definitely agree that we have made massive strides and are generally heading in the right direction. We had sorely missed a quality DM alongside a Gerrard and more recently Coutinho/Ox, and Fabinho has really impressed in the role. Ironically, we now seem to have an issue with linking the midfield with attack, which had never been the case before. Agree on Keita, he has been very underwhelming and I think some of the praise he has received recently is very unwarranted.

I still think Bayern are favourites, but we are in with a shout. I generally go along with the notion of winning at home and drawing away. It obviously doesn't always go that way, but its a pretty good rule of thumb. And if Bayern do eliminate us in the R16, I think that would be a huge blemish on our season.

RedForever2014

Much depends on Klopp.

The squad clearly isn't good enough to challenge on all fronts, or maybe even two fronts, and our form since Jan 1st with a largely fit squad has been disappointing (three wins in nine matches in all competitions).

A 33.3% win rate over two months is shocking, however people try and excuse it.

I just hope he uses what he has more sensibly going forward, so that 33.3% win rate improves substantially.

The defence picks itself, it's getting the blend of midfield and attack right that will determine our fate.

Milner is looking leggy, Bobby is having a poor season, Shaqiri has no pace to play in the forwards and isn't a quality 10.

Lallana is an even slower more injury prone version of Shaqiri. Origi is the striking equivalent of Djimi Traore and Sturridge is seemingly refusing to move an inch for fear of the injury that'd scupper a big contract somewhere in a few months.

So basically, for a few matches I'd have Fabinho and Hendo anchoring midfield, Gini in an attacking midfield role, Keita to the left of him, Mane to the right of him, and Salah at 9.

Bobby, Milner and Shaqiri can at least offer something from the bench.

Failing that I'd use a 1-2 midfield of Fab, Gini and Keita behind Bobby, Mo and Mane, with Hendo, Milner and Shaqiri decent options from the bench.

Here's hoping Klopp's been fooling us with his madcap team selections and substitutions and is now set to unleash tactical brilliance that will sweep us to 11 wins and a 99 points total.

I'd love nothing more than that 99 red balloons song to be echoing from the changing room in May.

Last edited:

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Much depends on Klopp.

The squad clearly isn't good enough to challenge on all fronts, or maybe even two fronts, and our form since Jan 1st with a largely fit squad has been disappointing (three wins in nine matches in all competitions).

A 33.3% win rate over two months is shocking, however people try and excuse it.

I just hope he uses what he has more sensibly going forward, so that 33.3% win rate improves substantially.

The defence picks itself, it's getting the blend of midfield and attack right that will determine our fate.

Milner is looking leggy, Bobby is having a poor season, Shaqiri has no pace to play in the forwards and isn't a quality 10.

Lallana is an even slower more injury prone version of Shaqiri. Origi is the striking equivalent of Djimi Traore and Sturridge is seemingly refusing to move an inch for fear of the injury that'd scupper a big contract somewhere in a few months.

So basically, for a few matches I'd have Fabinho and Hendo anchoring midfield, Gini in an attacking midfield role, Keita to the left of him, Mane to the right of him, and Salah at 9.

Bobby, Milner and Shaqiri can at least offer something from the bench.

Failing that I'd use a 1-2 midfield of Fab, Gini and Keita behind Bobby, Mo and Mane, with Hendo, Milner and Shaqiri decent options from the bench.

Here's hoping Klopp's been fooling us with his madcap team selections and substitutions and is now set to unleash tactical brilliance that will sweep us to 11 wins and a 99 points total.

I'd love nothing more than that 99 red balloons song to be echoing from the changing room in May.

Nobody except you on this forum, expected us to compete on all 4 fronts with this unfinished squad Klopp is assembling.Yes it's not nice going out of competitions and losing but you need to look at the bigger overall picture and stop critisizing every minute detail,when we still haven't finished building our squad FFS.

For now,we choose our battles with the squad we have,obviously the Prem and CL are our prioities and our best shot at putting us back on the map, as a force on the pitch and financially off it,or would you rather we stay in the 2 cups and mess up our league/CL position?? We go out of the League and FA Cup and you lose you're shit,we have a dip in form,you lose your shit,you have a pop at the owners for taking money out of the club,blast Klopp for being sensible and using his head in the transfer market,cos he's not buying in january,then have a go at the players when they have a slight dip,yet we are still top of the league.

Every club's form dips at some point during the season,ours consists of 1 loss and 3 draws in the past 2 months,which could have been a lot worse,you say we've had a largely fit squad since january and our defence picks itself??? we've had HALF of our defensive unit out of action for long periods since january,TAA,Lovren,Matip and Gomez have been missed but yet we are still keeping clean sheets and top of the league,during our dip in form.

In the 8 Prem games this year,we've won 4 thats 50%,drawn 3 and lost 1 (with 4 clean sheets),not bad for a squad nowhere near as strong or expensive as Man City's.

Milner looking leggy?? didn't look that way to me last night.

Firminio having a poor season?? his stats are on track with his form in the league last year,(2017/18 37 games 15 goals 7 assists,2018/19 27 games 9 goals 4 assists).

Shaqiri was never mean't to be our main man,so whatever we get out of him,he was always a multi-positioned squad player and a low cost punt,putting 2 past United earlier in the season means he's repaid the fee for me.

Lallana,i'll agree with you,i'll be suprised if he's not moved on in the summer.

Origi seems to be scoring when given a chance,did a good job lastnight and looked like a better solution out wide and upfront than Sturridge did Sunday.

Klopps been fooling us with Madcap team selections and substitutions?? i think you'll find he's been unleashing tacticle brilliance since day one mate (bar a few he'd probably hold his hands up to),you're just blinded by your massive expectatitions which inturn comes out as negative opinions on the clubs decisions,games and players.

SBYM

If you have something else to do, go and do it...
Ad-free Member
So 538 has both us and Citeh bagging 24 more points from the 30 on offer.

Fuck me swinging...you lot gonna be right if this shit goes right down to approx. 5.00pm on Sunday, 12 May 2019????????

Bring it on, I say, although I am worried for @Maria

:tongue:

Alright Now

So 538 has both us and Citeh bagging 24 more points from the 30 on offer.

Fuck me swinging...you lot gonna be right if this shit goes right down to approx. 5.00pm on Sunday, 12 May 2019????????

Bring it on, I say, although I am worried for @Maria

:tongue:
538 had a 52% probability of City winning prior to Wednesday. Now it has us at 50% and City at 49%. Personally, I’m looking forward to City at Palace and Pep probably isn’t.

By the way, I’ll be fine. I’m calm as you like. As you know.