• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Your thoughts on the season to come - Prediction time

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Bit premature to be making predictions with three weeks of the window to go. Depends on further incomings and outgoings but at the moment I think we are a player short if we are expecting a serious title challenge. Still a large dependency on the front 3 to stay fit.
Disagree. I think we'll make a serious challenge but I don't expect to win the title.

2nd place prediction for me... while winning a cup. But I think we will be close enough to put pressure.

RedForever2014

Good summary. What I'll add is that it also depends on formations used. If Klopp goes through the season with the 433 used last season, then we are indeed a creative central midfielder short in order to be sure to not be seriously hampered by injuries, and a further quality addition like Fekir would make sense as you state.

If Klopp reverts to 4231 for instance (his preferred formation at Dortmund during their most successful years), then it's slightly different, as I can see different players behind the nominal forward. Firmino could play behind Salah for instance, with Mané and Shaqiri on the wings. Shaqiri could also play in the centre behind a striker. He's as good, if not better in the center than on the right wing. Keita could play there as well by all accounts if we are short in this postition. We've seen yesterday night how he linked up well with Sturridge upfront.

That leaves four good central midfielders for the two deeper positions: Henderson, Fabinho, Keita, Milner, assuming that Grujic goes out on loan again.

What I'll say is that we are still a bit short on the wings, especially the left wing. If Kent leaves on loan (seems likely), and Markovic doesn't play a role, then we are prone to be hurt by an injury happening to Mané.

But not everything will be entirely fixed this summer. Our quality in depth has vastly improved compared with last season, that's the most important thing to retain, and Klopp won't stop to improve the team after this summer.
Agreed, but I still think we’re a player light and I think we should have the money to get one.

If we can sell Migs, Origi and Ings for £30m I really do think one more signing should be possible.

I’m over the moon with Alisson, I’ve high hopes for Fab, I love Keita already and I warmed to Shaqiri over how delighted he looks to join.

I just think we’re one player short of the perfect summer and that’s genuine not hedging my bets or beating FSG.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
This season is so important. We've spent so much money now on building our squad, pressure will be on Klopp to finally deliver a trophy. If we don't win something of significance soon, I'm concerned players like Salah will start to look beyond as the inevitable interest from Barca and Real comes flowing in.

Feels like this is the season we've been building towards since Klopp came in. Fingers crossed we don't see something tiny like Acterberg fucking up our keeper or an injury to Salah at any point be our downfall.

This is our chance to finally take down the fucking league. No more false dawns. We'll need to do over City in both games but we usually do ok vs them. Not particularly worried about the others.

RedForever2014

This season is so important. We've spent so much money now on building our squad, pressure will be on Klopp to finally deliver a trophy. If we don't win something of significance soon, I'm concerned players like Salah will start to look beyond as the inevitable interest from Barca and Real comes flowing in.

Feels like this is the season we've been building towards since Klopp came in. Fingers crossed we don't see something tiny like Acterberg fucking up our keeper or an injury to Salah at any point be our downfall.

This is our chance to finally take down the fucking league. No more false dawns. We'll need to do over City in both games but we usually do ok vs them. Not particularly worried about the others.
You’re right although remember that much of the spend has been covered by player sales.

We’re about £100m net this year, but the CL money has paid much of that and unfortunately we’re missing a £40m asset (oxlade) the entire season.

With a few players to sell for £30m to £50m combined, including Ward and maybe Ings, Origi and Migs, plus a few to loan out for fees, I feel we should be looking at one more Fekir type signing.

It could be the difference this season and indeed in keeping our top players next. That in turn is the difference between remaining nearly men and a winner of trophies over four to five years.

We’ve 19 or 20 players and need another player so I really hope the recent comments are misdirection and that we wake up one morning and find we’ve signed someone.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
I think we will win something. The league is a big ask, City will have to have a less impressive season for us to stand any chance, but I really do think we can win it but then I think we can win the league every season. I'm also expecting PLENTY of goals, fantastic attacking play and a fair few clean sheets.
I don't think our signings will take long to adjust to our league, I reckon they'll be smashing it up come the new year.

I also think we will have a long deep run in the Champions League. Will we win it? It's possible.

As for the cups I hope we win one of them, preferably the FA cup.

One thing is for sure. We have become a team to fear once again.

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
Predictions for the season....

August..... Looking good, what a signing he is going to be, this could be our year,

September.. This is our year, cant believe we only paid that for him, Klopp is a genius.

October.... its only the league cup, why did we buy him, poor squad depth

November... its only 2 defeats, bloody international games injuring our players, we need a new (insert position)

December.... Screw you Barca, World Cup fatigue, these draws are holding us back,

January.... [email protected]~K you Barca, why didn't we sign anyone, Klopps lost it

February... what a waste of money, Only FA Cup, Klopp out

March.... Looking good, maybe, just maybe, we need a new (insert position)

April... this is our year, Klopp genius, Cant believe we only paid that for him,

May... We are Liverpool, tra la la la la, I'm naming my new born Jurgen, Klopp should be knighted!

:)

Dutch

Ad-free Member
It’s the other way round. The second number is your stake; the first number your winnings. You get the stake back as well, so £2 at 9-2 means you get £11 back (9 won, 2 staked) in total.
Oke, thanks for the explanation.:well done:

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Well we have had a pretty awesome transfer window but what is also telling (when it comes to prediction for the season) is what is happening with other teams around us:

Arsenal - New manager, some new signings but none seem significant and Thursday night footy.
Chelsea - New manager, could lose Hazard and Courtois (and how do you replace that?), oh and Thursday night footy.
City - Only added Mahrez, but they were so strong last season, set a benchmark.
Spurs - no additions, what's their new stadium like, will they settle in?
United - A few signings, only Fred is of any calibre, Mourinho season 3 - could go into unchartered territory if he is around after xmas, oh and boring footy.

So when I look at that (and I know that there will be more player movement still), we must finish minimum 2nd in the league and at least get to another final in a cup, and bloody well win one too. I just think that we are solid, our 1-11 squad numbers are all taken now (when was the last time?), and really don't think we need Fakir or equivalent (that would be a nice to have rather than must have). Fabinho and Allison were the critical signings, whilst Keita and Shaqiri give us another dimension going forward.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
at least one trophy this season and top 4 finish at the very least or it's a failure for me

I would say the pressure will be on though and media outside will be predicting us to be challenging for the title and if we don't they will all call it a failure I'm sure.

I wont predict champions because well I never done that... but I think we will challenge for sure this season. instead of me predicting we will come top 4.. I'm for sure predicting a trophy this season and remaining top 4.

and it's not to early to do these predictions as this is what before season predictions is about. on paper we have a squad that should compete for the title. we have everything we need. yes of course injuries happen and we are just as good as other teams with depth now.

I think in order for us to win the title this season we need a big luck or surprise to happen this season like Sturridge staying fit all season and actually playing and scoring goals like he did the last time we challenged for the title. if this happens.. good luck for any team ever trying to stopping us

Last edited:

Alright Now

As some of you know, I have had a difficult 8 months for personal reasons. To top it off, I woke this morning to find that someone had smashed my car window to steal my gym bag (along with my favorite cross trainers that Nike no longer manufactures). Surely that has to be a bottom for me. I am so due. Consequently, I declare that on the back of my suffering, we are going to win everything this year. You can thank me now or later.

Last edited:

RedYank

Silverware...some of it...all of it...or somewhere in between. But, there will be silverware.

Last edited:

Alright Now

Well, the signings are everything I wished for and then some!

I personally don’t think we need a coutinho replacement. We need a little space in the squad for the likes of Solanke, Woodburn, Brewster to shine and develop.

We needed a goalie, defensive midfielder, another winger/attacking option and keita... all accomplished.

Kloppo needs to get them all to gel and click...

But Top 4 has to be a given, and really we should be challenging with at least a trophy on the side.

But wow, let’s get this show on the road.
Time to start the "Where will you be watching the CL final" thread?

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
Good summary. What I'll add is that it also depends on formations used. If Klopp goes through the season with the 433 used last season, then we are indeed a creative central midfielder short in order to be sure to not be seriously hampered by injuries, and a further quality addition like Fekir would make sense as you state.

If Klopp reverts to 4231 for instance (his preferred formation at Dortmund during their most successful years), then it's slightly different, as I can see different players behind the nominal forward. Firmino could play behind Salah for instance, with Mané and Shaqiri on the wings. Shaqiri could also play in the centre behind a striker. He's as good, if not better in the center than on the right wing. Keita could play there as well by all accounts if we are short in this postition. We've seen yesterday night how he linked up well with Sturridge upfront.

That leaves four good central midfielders for the two deeper positions: Henderson, Fabinho, Keita, Milner, assuming that Grujic goes out on loan again.

What I'll say is that we are still a bit short on the wings, especially the left wing. If Kent leaves on loan (seems likely), and Markovic doesn't play a role, then we are prone to be hurt by an injury happening to Mané.

But not everything will be entirely fixed this summer. Our quality in depth has vastly improved compared with last season, that's the most important thing to retain, and Klopp won't stop to improve the team after this summer.
Sorry to pick up just on one part of your post which has nothing to do with your post in general, but.....

.....I keep seeing people going on about 4231, and in the article on the front page about preseason it has a whole bit about 4231, but every line up I've seen from pre-season, first half and second half teams, has been a very specific 4123, with Fabinho or Milner usually anchoring as the 1.

Where is all the 4231 coming from?

I'm not saying we don't have the personnel to do it, or that Klopp wouldn't do it, just that we haven't done it in any of the 4 games so far and i'm confused why people are assuming we're going with 4231 when we keep playing 4123?

Red over the water

League - 2nd
Champions League - at least QF
FA Cup - winners
League Cup - QF (with a lot of fringe players)

I can’t see Man City amassing the same sort of points haul again, but they are a well oiled machine and should win the league. We will close the gap to them to ten points or maybe a bit less to finish second.

Man Utd third, Spurs fourth, with Arsenal and Chelsea rounding out the top six.

The fallout after next season will be Mourinho will leave as they won’t challenge for the title, and the exciting football will not be played by Man Utd! And Kane will leave Spurs as he will want to challenge for the big prizes, not scrape top four.

Rooster

What a hit son
1. Will be drawn in the Group of Death in the CL. The last 2 group draws for us have be kind so time for an ugly one. If we are in Pot 3? nobody will want us. Either way, we qualify.

2. Cup final win and all this Klopp can't win finals nonsense will end. FA Cup it is then.

3. League - top 4 in no particular order LFC, Spurs, Arsenal, City. Just don't balls it in the first 10 games. Genuine chance and City won't be better than last season.

4. Players - Shaq to be the seasons bargain, like Robbo and Mo were.

Good times ahead.

soberphobia

I still don't think our transfer business is done. We have only really bought Alisson Fabinho and Shaqiri this window. Keita was funded from the last window. We are cashed up big time and I think another big signing may come if our wages budget still has some room. I always reserve predictions for the season ahead until the squad is finalised.

We have reason to be positive but Fabinho is a like for like replacement for Can although he may be a better player the result is yet to be seen. If a deal for Fekir is still to be struck then we would go in with a real kickass attitude. I take no notice ever of managers who say that business is finished until the window is actually finished.

Last edited:

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
I truly believe they're going to hit the ground running. They'll come into the season with so much confidence. Yes, they will miss Henderson, TAA, and Lovren early on. Yes, they will really miss Ox's pace and explosive attacking ability. But, I think adding Keita, Fabinho, and Alisson infuses a certain level of energy to this starting XI that will be quite invigorating.

My big question marks focus primarily on this club's capacity to survive an injury to its front three. Shaq is one player who ideally offers a burst of pace as a sub instead of relying on him as a starter. Sturridge has not proven that he can play in Klopp's pressing system, let alone remain healthy. Origi and Solanke have failed to step up this preseason when they've had a huge opportunity to stake their claim to a squad role. It's unclear whether their youth has developed enough to contribute. Without another signing (Fekir?) they will be light up top.

I'd love to see Gomez step up as a legitimate center back partner for Big Virg. I have a soft spot for Lovren because he seems like a good dude, but he's not dependable. Matip regressed last year. Klavan is at best an emergency option. I want Joe to make that position his own.

Besides that, though, I believe very strongly in Klopp's vision and I genuinely admire the investments FSG have made in the club. They have transformed the squad in about three seasons into a collection of world class players who are worthy of wearing our club's crest on their shirts. Simply remarkable.

Pharaoh

Klopps and Robbers anyone?
2nd.

We will push Citeh, but sadly I don’t think we will trump them.

cynicaloldgit

Resident Misanthrope
Ad-free Member
On paper, this team is good enough to win every game it plays.

Let’s not forget that our head-to-head score against last season’s runaway champions was 3-1 to us... and that their only win against us came when we had Mané sent off. We have improved enormously since then, with Fabinho and Keïta bringing a new dimension to our midfield and Alisson taking our goalkeeping up several notches.

I honestly believe that we would win the league, given a fair run. The problem is, as we see season after season, we don’t get decisions given our way in the same manner that certain other clubs do.

Still, there’s a possibility that this team is going to be so good that it won’t matter how bent the officials are- we’ll still win anyway. Let’s hope so.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Sorry to pick up just on one part of your post which has nothing to do with your post in general, but.....

.....I keep seeing people going on about 4231, and in the article on the front page about preseason it has a whole bit about 4231, but every line up I've seen from pre-season, first half and second half teams, has been a very specific 4123, with Fabinho or Milner usually anchoring as the 1.

Where is all the 4231 coming from?

I'm not saying we don't have the personnel to do it, or that Klopp wouldn't do it, just that we haven't done it in any of the 4 games so far and i'm confused why people are assuming we're going with 4231 when we keep playing 4123?
You're right about this season's pre-season games. However, in his most successful Dortmund times, he played a 4231, and we have used that formation at times during his spell with us. I've always thought that if he had the right personnel in midfield, which he hadn't until this summer, he'd be tempted to use it again on a more regular basis. Your 4123 is my 433 btw.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
You're right about this season's pre-season games. However, in his most successful Dortmund times, he played a 4231, and we have used that formation at times during his spell with us. I've always thought that if he had the right personnel in midfield, which he hadn't until this summer, he'd be tempted to use it again on a more regular basis. Your 4123 is my 433 btw.
My feeling is/was that we'd have gone 4231 if Fekir came in as he's an obvious choice for that no10 position, but without him we don't have an obvious alternative there, not without moving players from their best positions to do so. If Fekir is truly not happening then I think the most likely scenario we see for our regular first-XI is 433:

Alisson

Trent-Lovren-VVD-Robbo

Fabinho

Henderson-Keita

Salah-Firmino-Mane
I'm actually looking forward to seeing that midfield three, there's every chance of Hendo being rejuvenated by having someone to do the defensive grunt-work and freeing him up to have more offensive influence.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I want to win the league, maybe not this season but next one surely. I mean, fuck it, with Klopp and this squad, even with still some imperfections, we are best equipped to win the league in a long time. If not now, when.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
My feeling is/was that we'd have gone 4231 if Fekir came in as he's an obvious choice for that no10 position, but without him we don't have an obvious alternative there, not without moving players from their best positions to do so. If Fekir is truly not happening then I think the most likely scenario we see for our regular first-XI is 433:

Alisson

Trent-Lovren-VVD-Robbo

Fabinho

Henderson-Keita

Salah-Firmino-Mane
I'm actually looking forward to seeing that midfield three, there's every chance of Hendo being rejuvenated by having someone to do the defensive grunt-work and freeing him up to have more offensive influence.
I remember the 2013/2014 season, a lot is said of triple SSS threat up front, but whilst Suarez certainly was a (or the)huge key factor a lot was based on the foundation in the middle of the park.. Gerrard operating his last swan song as a no.6 which was all made possible by a singular tour de force playing the no.8 a certain Mr Henderson. Injuries permitted he was a top class box to box who scored or assisted every 2.5 games and I’m sure the players around him loved him for his selflessness..

RedForever2014

One thing I think we ought to do is avoid heaping too much pressure on.

Let’s remember that we sold one of our best, and mostly reinvested the money.

We’ve done good business but have not gone overboard.

I don’t feel everything has been done that makes a title challenge something to expect.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
I think we will beat West Ham on August 12th.