Your thoughts on the season to come - Prediction time

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
You should perhaps listen to the catch up of the 'Radio Merseyside Football Phone In', Mondays at 6pm.

Ben The Red constantly cites media bias against LFC. A few comments tonight too about the risk of losing our better players if we don't progress fast enough.

It's a fair point, you really think VVD wants to be carrying the side week in week out with nothing at the end of it? You really think Alisson wants to have the most clean sheets that didn't result in a title medal?

Klopp may be all for squad unity and loyalty to all, but nothing spreads disunity more than players who deserve success not getting it despite their best efforts. Klopp's loyalty should be to what needs to be done to make LFC successful, which includes culling those who can't contribute at the right level and replacing them with players who can.

I do admire your patience with constant near misses, and that you don't moan when a top player wants out because of it.

Personally I want to see us constantly, relentlessly and ruthlessly upgrading the squad around our top players, such that they want to see out their careers at LFC.
If we lose players they will go for world record fees and we will replace them. Coutinho = Van Dikj and Alisson. Worked out ok yeah?

I personally doubt any of our team wants to leave.

It's not like any of them are nearing the end of their careers is it? Our average age is 25 which means they have 6 years to win things here which will happen sooner or later.

Noo Noo

Don't care for bananas and haven't done since the Evertonians threw them on the pitch during their racist chanting at John Barnes.

Speaking of pulling at threads, what has anything I said about our issues in any been indicative of my suggesting a conspiracy?

In fact, on a broader note, in reference to other comments on here about the said subject, I think what we are talking about here is bias and favouritism in the media, in national institutions, filtering to refereeing decisions, probably more subconsciously that surreptitiously.
You said that we lacked quality up front. That is just stupid.

my comments on threads being pulled to reveal conspiracies were aimed at your tendency to find and pick on something that hasn't quite gone to plan and blow it up into some enormous issue that fits your beliefs on how the club should be run.

For example. Salah has a couple of poor games - BOOOOM We lack quality up front, should have purchased another striker / attacking midfielder. Klopp hasn't spent enough, FSG haven't invested in the club, FSG are poor owners.

That's very Boris I'm afraid.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Although I am now feeling less than optimistic about our chances of winning the PL I am not about to throw the towel in and support prioritising the CL. Agree with @RedForever2014 that we'll have to win all but one of our remaining games and draw the other one, and even that might not be enough.
Although I would much rather win the PL than the CL I don't feel that going out against Bayern would be the proverbial 'blessing in disguise'. Losing to Bayern would have a seriously negative effect on the players just when they need to rediscover winning on a regular basis.
If Brendan Rodgers could inspire the team he had to a 14 game run of wins then I'm sure Jurgen can the current bunch to go on a 9 game run of wins.

Dutch

It does not matter if the fans throw the towel with the exception of the ones in the stadium the fans have hardly any influence on the outcome of the matches. We were almost 10 points up and now we are behind, as long City keeps winning their matches, and they have a squat to do that IMO, it does not matter what we do, we had the same advantage and we threw that advantage away within a couple of weeks.

Their first tough game come on April 20, by then we already have played Spurs and Chelsea. Our midfield can not score a goal if their life depended on it and Salah well I don't know what is wrong with Salay at the moment. I'm no longer optimistic.

Last edited:

Dane

NEXT!
It does not matter if the fans throw the towel with the exception of the ones in the stadium the fans have hardly any influence on the outcome of the matches. We were almost 10 points up and now we are behind, as long City keeps winning their matches, and they have a squat to do that IMO, it does not matter what we do, we had the same advantage and we threw that advantage away within a couple of weeks.

Their first tough game come on April 20, by then we already have played Spurs and Chelsea. Our midfield can not score a goal if their life depended on it and Salah well I don't know what is wrong with Salay at the moment. I'm no longer optimistic.
I dont think Palace away on the 14th will be easy for them.
Especially given that it's likely to be sandwiched in between 2 CL matches.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
You should perhaps listen to the catch up of the 'Radio Merseyside Football Phone In', Mondays at 6pm.

Ben The Red constantly cites media bias against LFC. A few comments tonight too about the risk of losing our better players if we don't progress fast enough.

It's a fair point, you really think VVD wants to be carrying the side week in week out with nothing at the end of it? You really think Alisson wants to have the most clean sheets that didn't result in a title medal?

Klopp may be all for squad unity and loyalty to all, but nothing spreads disunity more than players who deserve success not getting it despite their best efforts. Klopp's loyalty should be to what needs to be done to make LFC successful, which includes culling those who can't contribute at the right level and replacing them with players who can.

I do admire your patience with constant near misses, and that you don't moan when a top player wants out because of it.

Personally I want to see us constantly, relentlessly and ruthlessly upgrading the squad around our top players, such that they want to see out their careers at LFC.
My patience is not endless, but it’s with posters like you that I find myself growing annoyed. Not the football club.

As I don’t live on Merseyside, this forum is my main outlet for talking about Liverpool. You (and a few others - but mainly you) are making what should be an exciting and rewarding time to be a fan, and turning it to shit.

The context is that at this point in the season we’ve only had 70 points once in our history. This season is almost unprecedented for us. We’ve been phenomenal. Putting aside their unpleasant funding sources and blatant cheating, many pundits believe this City side are the greatest side in the history of the game, and getting over 100 points goes somewhat to supporting that view. And here we are are, toe to toe with them. We’re in the process of closing the twenty five point gap they finished 17/18 on us. This is a brilliant team.

By any objective measure this has been a great season so far, and unlike 2002, 2009, or 2014 there is no prospect that we’ll meltdown if we finish second. All the best players are locked down into long-term contracts. There is a bounce about the club that makes this feel like the start of something rather than the end.

And this is why your constant narrative of doom is most unwelcome. There has never been a time in the last thirty years when it has been less relevant or less necessary. If you’ve been a fan of the club through the nineties and noughties then you’ve seen this club genuinely rudderless and trapped in cycles of boom and bust. Why anyone could cling to that mindset now, as the club look to be a coming force in the game, is baffling.

Personally, I think it’s cowardice. I think there is a mentality amongst some fans that would rather the club was knocking about 4-6th place in the league. You know, just doing alright. Because to be in this position carries with it the possibility of having your heart broken. To challenge for titles comes with the possibility of losing out and wondering what might have been. Some of you don’t seem to have the stomach for this.

You say you want the club to be the successful in the league. I don’t think you do. If you did, you would be enjoying this league campaign whether we end it too or second, because you’d understand that this kind of challenge is part of the process. It was for United, back in 1992. This club needs to learn how to win titles, and maybe part of that learning process is to lose one narrowly?

Who knows. Maybe the best thing to do is to do what football fans are meant to do. Which is to enjoy the football and appreciate the journey, and if the destination isn’t what we’d hoped, then find a way to enjoy that too.

RedForever2014

My patience is not endless, but it’s with posters like you that I find myself growing annoyed. Not the football club.

As I don’t live on Merseyside, this forum is my main outlet for talking about Liverpool. You (and a few others - but mainly you) are making what should be an exciting and rewarding time to be a fan, and turning it to shit.

The context is that at this point in the season we’ve only had 70 points once in our history. This season is almost unprecedented for us. We’ve been phenomenal. Putting aside their unpleasant funding sources and blatant cheating, many pundits believe this City side are the greatest side in the history of the game, and getting over 100 points goes somewhat to supporting that view. And here we are are, toe to toe with them. We’re in the process of closing the twenty five point gap they finished 17/18 on us. This is a brilliant team.

By any objective measure this has been a great season so far, and unlike 2002, 2009, or 2014 there is no prospect that we’ll meltdown if we finish second. All the best players are locked down into long-term contracts. There is a bounce about the club that makes this feel like the start of something rather than the end.

And this is why your constant narrative of doom is most unwelcome. There has never been a time in the last thirty years when it has been less relevant or less necessary. If you’ve been a fan of the club through the nineties and noughties then you’ve seen this club genuinely rudderless and trapped in cycles of boom and bust. Why anyone could cling to that mindset now, as the club look to be a coming force in the game, is baffling.

Personally, I think it’s cowardice. I think there is a mentality amongst some fans that would rather the club was knocking about 4-6th place in the league. You know, just doing alright. Because to be in this position carries with it the possibility of having your heart broken. To challenge for titles comes with the possibility of losing out and wondering what might have been. Some of you don’t seem to have the stomach for this.

You say you want the club to be the successful in the league. I don’t think you do. If you did, you would be enjoying this league campaign whether we end it too or second, because you’d understand that this kind of challenge is part of the process. It was for United, back in 1992. This club needs to learn how to win titles, and maybe part of that learning process is to lose one narrowly?

Who knows. Maybe the best thing to do is to do what football fans are meant to do. Which is to enjoy the football and appreciate the journey, and if the destination isn’t what we’d hoped, then find a way to enjoy that too.
Come on now mate you know you love me really. :-)

Actually I think if we get 95 points we'll win it. I wanted us to win it with 96 points, one point for every one of the 96 in the 30th anniversary year.

RaoulDuke

Wind-Down Merchant
I’m pretty confident now, after reading the article in the Guardian about who has the easier run-in.
City are going to drop way more points than us.
Poggy, Martial, Rashy and so on will do them at old trafford.
And those won‘t be the only points they‘re going to drop.

History in the making, after 29 years.

jaffod

I’m pretty confident now, after reading the article in the Guardian about who has the easier run-in.
City are going to drop way more points than us.
Poggy, Martial, Rashy and so on will do them at old trafford.
And those won‘t be the only points they‘re going to drop.

History in the making, after 29 years.
There's a possibility the red mancs will have 4th place in the bag by the time that game is played. We really need Arsenal and Chelsea to stay with them.

sms1986

There's a possibility the red mancs will have 4th place in the bag by the time that game is played. We really need Arsenal and Chelsea to stay with them.
Possibly, but it's Solskjaer's first Manchester derby as manager so I think that will play a part.

RaoulDuke

Wind-Down Merchant
If Ole-Gunnar Solskjar (??) really manages to grab 4th place with three games to go they should give him a 5 year contract.
One of those two you‘ve mentioned should be able to stay within reach.
Plus unlike the bitters and their loser mentality I don‘t believe that united is as small-minded.
Those players and OGS will want to beat City at home in a derby, even if they are already 4th.

Red Eyes

I’m trying really hard to balance the inputs into my little brain......but when I get an emotionless moment of clarity it’s clear that we are having one of the best seasons in our clubs history.

The problem is, it’s so so hard to enjoy it.

The players have performed magnificently, with a points tally that we would never have expected. The gap between us and City has closed from huge to zero, and that is even after they have improved again. It’s still a 50:50 title race, but with our run in, City’s injuries, our wounded due to return soon, City’s extra fixtures in their legs and to come, we are probably 55:45 favourites to win it.

Our problem is without any shadow of doubt is our midfield, if we come second our midfield is the reason. Forget blaming the front three, they have played a staggering amount of games each this season and have scored a lot of goals. I include Shaq in that as he has contributed well when he has played, so a decent front four. The defensive unit has been magnificent, look at the minuscule number of goals conceded despite the back four being decimated with injuries.

The midfield have done a reasonable job of protecting the back four, but the have done very little to help the front men. Maybe this was under instruction when we lost Trent and Matip, but they haven’t changed now that we have defenders back. The midfield have contributed next to no goals. Hendo last scored 60 odd games ago I think. Keita maybe one for next season, but he was actually intended to be one for this season. In that respect he had been a huge disappointment. Milner does his best but has deteriorated as the season has gone on. Wini is difficult to fault, but it’s hard to pick out the number if times he has been a game changer. I’ve had him as MOTM a couple of times but can’t remember too much outside those games. Fabinho is class, but has one goal to his name and desperately needs to be paired alongside a decisive clever attacking midfielder. Lallana, forget him.

Whatever happens this season the club and players need to be praised, if we can be smart and fill a few positions in the summer we can walk this league next time.

If we are to win it this time, something needs to change in midfield. Ox may be back too late, so Klopp needs to work something out quick....maybe drop one of the front three deeper into mid.....lose one of our current midfielders and persevere with Origi higher up alongside the other two. I’d rather lose the title race fighting, than by not being brave.

RaoulDuke

Wind-Down Merchant
You think Fergie has fuck all to do with it,maybe you should read something better than the Guardian.
What does it have to do with the guardian?
Any proof that fergie is calling the shots again?
When Solskjar got the gig most fans in here laughed at him and united.
Now that they are doing rather well (compared to his predecessor) he suddenly became a fergie puppet.
But maybe it‘s just rumour and innuendo.

Scott Jones

Blunt
What does it have to do with the guardian?
Any proof that fergie is calling the shots again?
When Solskjar got the gig most fans in here laughed at him and united.
Now that they are doing rather well (compared to his predecessor) he suddenly became a fergie puppet.
But maybe it‘s just rumour and innuendo.
The proof is Ole is wank and we know this from his time at Cardiff,Fergie wasn't at Cardiff,don't need a conspiracy theory really.

RaoulDuke

Wind-Down Merchant
The proof is Ole is wank and we know this from his time at Cardiff,Fergie wasn't at Cardiff,don't need a conspiracy theory really.
Now that‘s rock-solid proof right there.
And it means we might have to wait until Fergie passes on to see OGS getting exposed ;-)

Scott Jones

Blunt
Now that‘s rock-solid proof right there.
And it means we might have to wait until Fergie passes on to see OGS getting exposed ;-)
It's alright asking for proof when you provide nothing to suggest Fergie has no influence,i think he has plenty of say still.lets move on shall we. :cheers:

RaoulDuke

Wind-Down Merchant
It's alright asking for proof when you provide nothing to suggest Fergie has no influence,i think he has plenty of say still.lets move on shall we. :cheers:
I brought ManU into this in the first place because I expect them to (unintentionally) help us win the title by doing their job at old trafford.
And you are right. We should move on.
But I don‘t have to provide anything. Olec-Gunner is their official manager. Fergie has no official role anymore as far as I know. It‘s almost impossible to prove that someone isn‘t part of a clandestine, hidden operation. CT territory :-)

Danny_

I’m trying really hard to balance the inputs into my little brain......but when I get an emotionless moment of clarity it’s clear that we are having one of the best seasons in our clubs history.

The problem is, it’s so so hard to enjoy it.

The players have performed magnificently, with a points tally that we would never have expected. The gap between us and City has closed from huge to zero, and that is even after they have improved again. It’s still a 50:50 title race, but with our run in, City’s injuries, our wounded due to return soon, City’s extra fixtures in their legs and to come, we are probably 55:45 favourites to win it.

Our problem is without any shadow of doubt is our midfield, if we come second our midfield is the reason. Forget blaming the front three, they have played a staggering amount of games each this season and have scored a lot of goals. I include Shaq in that as he has contributed well when he has played, so a decent front four. The defensive unit has been magnificent, look at the minuscule number of goals conceded despite the back four being decimated with injuries.

The midfield have done a reasonable job of protecting the back four, but the have done very little to help the front men. Maybe this was under instruction when we lost Trent and Matip, but they haven’t changed now that we have defenders back. The midfield have contributed next to no goals. Hendo last scored 60 odd games ago I think. Keita maybe one for next season, but he was actually intended to be one for this season. In that respect he had been a huge disappointment. Milner does his best but has deteriorated as the season has gone on. Wini is difficult to fault, but it’s hard to pick out the number if times he has been a game changer. I’ve had him as MOTM a couple of times but can’t remember too much outside those games. Fabinho is class, but has one goal to his name and desperately needs to be paired alongside a decisive clever attacking midfielder. Lallana, forget him.

Whatever happens this season the club and players need to be praised, if we can be smart and fill a few positions in the summer we can walk this league next time.

If we are to win it this time, something needs to change in midfield. Ox may be back too late, so Klopp needs to work something out quick....maybe drop one of the front three deeper into mid.....lose one of our current midfielders and persevere with Origi higher up alongside the other two. I’d rather lose the title race fighting, than by not being brave.
We aren't having one of our best seasons in our club's history. If we win the title, yes. If not, no. I suppose you could say that we are having one of our best seasons in recent history but we got to the CL final last year so if we go out to Bayern and finish second this season, I would take last season over this one.

I don't think the problem is the midfield. I think that the problem is that if we lose one of the front 3 to injury or if one is off form, we don't have a similar quality replacement to put in there. If Ox hadn't gotten injured, this would not be the case. But, nobody knows how good he will be when he comes back. So, we need a proper replacement for Coutinho. Shaq on his day can be good but he is too inconsistent. Sturridge is past it and Origi just is not good enough. But, as you say, we are a lot closer to the prize than we were previously.

Red Eyes

You think Fergie has fuck all to do with it,maybe you should read something better than the Guardian.
The Beeb suggest that Fergie has travelled with the squad to France, with speculation with that he may give a pre match pep talk and may have given one recently.

It doesn’t suggest that OGS is his puppet, but it does suggest that Ferguson has more direct input than when Jose was there.

Noo Noo

The Beeb suggest that Fergie has travelled with the squad to France, with speculation with that he may give a pre match pep talk and may have given one recently.

It doesn’t suggest that OGS is his puppet, but it does suggest that Ferguson has more direct input than when Jose was there.
Ferguson has been to the training ground too. At least once since Ole's appointment. I don't think there's a huge amount in it to be honest other than a motivational thing and Ole taking things back to the way they were done in that era. I would say Phelan has a bigger influence with what happens on the pitch to be honest.

Basically Ole is living and breathing off how the club used to be under Ferguson.

Rambler

"First is first, second is nowhere". Bill Shankly.
Basically Ole is living and breathing off how the club used to be under Ferguson.
And why wouldn't he. It was a massively successful era. Maybe if Souness had stuck to the tried and tested methods of his predecessor(s) we would not have been waiting 30 years for our next title. I don't share the hatred for SAF. If he had come to us instead of Souness I believe his statue would be outside Anfield now. The hatred comes from jealousy....

Last edited:

Scott Jones

Blunt
If you look at Fergies achievements alone then there's a lot to admire,but you'd have to ignore his hatred of us to continue that admiration of him,they may be jealousy but that's not all it is.

Noo Noo

And why wouldn't he. It was a massively successful era. Maybe if Souness had stuck to the tried and tested methods of his predecessor(s) we would not have been waiting 30 years for our next title. I don't share the hatred for SAF. If he had come to us instead of Souness I believe his statue would be outside Anfield. The hatred comes from jealousy....
Indeed. I don't blame him at all for it. Bringing back what has worked so well before is completely sensible and it looks like the players have bought into it.

If you look at Fergies achievements alone then there's a lot to admire,but you'd have to ignore his hatred of us to continue that admiration of him,they may be jealousy but that's not all it is.
I don't know hat that is about to be honest. I certainly don't think its about people. Ferguson, Dalglish, etc. all from Glasgow and all know each other really well. And that goes way back with Shankly etc. The rivalry between fans has always been there but for some reason he felt it necessary to stoke the fire to a new level. Maybe a way of starting a bit of a siege mentality perhaps?

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Ferguson's and Dalglish's relationship is and has always been one of mutual respect. No hate at all between them.

RaoulDuke

Wind-Down Merchant
I think Scott and others give Ferguson too much credit (even if unintentionally) for Utd‘s current form and results.
I mean, the man is 77 and looks like 87.
It would be too incredible if he just could come back at this age and turn things around easily.
Like Rambler I don‘t hate him and can respect his achievements. But his age is his age.