Your thoughts on the season to come - Prediction time

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
This is going right to the wire, May 12th will throw up varying emotions.
Many will be devastated if we fall short.

Many will be like "Ah well, what's for dinner?"
Oddly I dont think I will be devastated - annoyed maybe but Its been so many seasons since Ive seen us win the league I'm at the point where I'm like - Oh well what you gonna do? Im used to it now.
Its a miracle we have kept up with City so far. How do you compete with a team thats financially backed by a country? LFC are doing things the right way but that will probably mean we come up short.
I've always said our midfield is a playmaker/scorer of goals short and I still think that.
Shaq and Keita haven't added anything so far to a midfield that was in need of goals and creativity - Shaq cant even get on now.
We went for Fekir - didnt happen - and then decided against getting someone else like that.
What we have done so far is nothing short of amazing but we just need that little bit more quality in the squad.

Dane

NEXT!
Oddly I dont think I will be devastated - annoyed maybe but Its been so many seasons since Ive seen us win the league I'm at the point where I'm like - Oh well what you gonna do? Im used to it now.
Its a miracle we have kept up with City so far. How do you compete with a team thats financially backed by a country? LFC are doing things the right way but that will probably mean we come up short.
I've always said our midfield is a playmaker/scorer of goals short and I still think that.
Shaq and Keita haven't added anything so far to a midfield that was in need of goals and creativity - Shaq cant even get on now.
We went for Fekir - didnt happen - and then decided against getting someone else like that.
What we have done so far is nothing short of amazing but we just need that little bit more quality in the squad.
I'm fairly sure I will, but for some time now have inwardly prepared myself for it.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
I am optimistic about the title, most of the time. Maybe I cannot contemplate the dissapointment. It took me ages to get over the travesty in Kiev last year, and the finality of the Suarez year, title loss.
There have been some devastating blows....probably the Wimbledon FA cup final loss hurt for so many reasons, the Arsenal winning the league at Anfield, all major losses and abject emptiness for me.
I cant think about that this year....

RedForever2014

Ideal draw would be City, Juve and Barce in one half of the draw and us in the other with Ajax and Porto.

Probably would prefer Spurs as the 4th team in our side and United in the other.

Really hope we win it this year, can't stomach another English club getting their grubby hands on big ears. It'd be nice to have double the wins of the nearest English club.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
I am optimistic about the title, most of the time. Maybe I cannot contemplate the dissapointment. It took me ages to get over the travesty in Kiev last year, and the finality of the Suarez year, title loss.
There have been some devastating blows....probably the Wimbledon FA cup final loss hurt for so many reasons, the Arsenal winning the league at Anfield, all major losses and abject emptiness for me.
I cant think about that this year....
Abject emptiness for me was the end of the 2014/15 season. A completely miserable season topped off with a 6-1 defeat at Stoke and an embarrassing CL campaign that rather being the great return to the top table as we all hoped it would be, just reinforced how irrelevant we had become.

If we miss out on the title then obviously I will be disappointed but I can cope with disappointment. It's not having any hope that I find difficult to accept, but at least we have that under Klopp.

RedForever2014

Won't be easy, but generally happy with that draw.

Hope the first leg is the Tuesday after the Southampton Friday night game so that the second leg is the Wednesday after the Chelsea Sunday match.

Can't see them making us play Chelsea Sunday then CL QF Tuesday and Chelsea will play Thursday night in the Europa League so can't play Saturday.

A tough semi awaits if we get through, though the Friday night match before the first leg would be helpful. The semi final would have a second leg at home too, which would be preferable.

A nasty final awaits if we get that far given the history with Juve and rivalry with City.

It would be amazing though, to win the league and then take the CL from under their noses too.

RedForever2014

Interesting that any semi could be switched around if City and United progress, and we'd lose the advantage of a home second leg.

I know some people think that being away in the second leg is better, as you know what you have to do, and in the Porto tie that's fair enough, but personally I favour the second leg of any semi to be at Anfield. That requires ourselves, City and United all progressing of course.

The sequence of matches will be tough but slightly favourable versus last season.

The first game after the international break is late on Sunday 31st versus Spurs, then we have four days rest before a tricky match away at Southampton.

But that gives us three days off before Porto at home, then four days off before Chelsea, who will have played away in Europe on Thursday.

The two days off before Porto away will be challenging, but hopefully we'll be in a good position in the tie.

Robertson's suspension being in a home tie to Porto could mean we can use Moreno for his attacking play, then we have Andy back for the away leg.

Three days off follows before Cardiff away, then four days off before Huddersfield at home on a Friday evening.

That means at least three full days rest before any semi first leg.

The Newcastle trip in the middle of any semi would be tough, but ideally we'd have a Tuesday/Wednesday semi, with three days off either side of Newcastle.

Reasons for optimism based on that schedule versus City's.

I'm torn as to who I want to progress to the semis. City's progression helps our PL challenge by giving them a semi to contend with, but could switch round any tie we have with United.

Spurs or Ajax in the final would of course be easier than City or Juve, but I'd rather play Juve than City.

Not sure if I'd prefer United as a supposedly easier tie than Barce.

We'll see, but it's nice that the schedule is a bit easier, with less two days off between matches scenarios than last season.

Last edited:

Danny_

We could not have gotten a better draw for the CL. That's not to say it will be easy as there are no easy teams left, especially this year. But, we avoided Barca and all the other English teams. :-)

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Abject emptiness for me was the end of the 2014/15 season. A completely miserable season topped off with a 6-1 defeat at Stoke and an embarrassing CL campaign that rather being the great return to the top table as we all hoped it would be, just reinforced how irrelevant we had become.

If we miss out on the title then obviously I will be disappointed but I can cope with disappointment. It's not having any hope that I find difficult to accept, but at least we have that under Klopp.
"Hope" is what following my beloved club is all about for me.... And Jurgen has brought so much of it. The Suarez season was an anomaly, a false dawn.... but what we are experiencing under Jurgen is a resurgence, and we are now feared as we should be.

Winning is what we are all about, but the journey there is one amazing ride - and I am trying my best to enjoy this one.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
"Hope" is what following my beloved club is all about for me.... And Jurgen has brought so much of it. The Suarez season was an anomaly, a false dawn.... but what we are experiencing under Jurgen is a resurgence, and we are now feared as we should be.

Winning is what we are all about, but the journey there is one amazing ride - and I am trying my best to enjoy this one.
I have been enjoying the ride for the entire Klopp reign without any great expectations of what might happen along the way. If there are Liverpool fans not enjoying it then they need to check they still have a pulse. It does not get much better than this and it won't last for ever.

jaffod

Results went really well for us today.

Palace going out the cup so no distractions for them.

Burnley losing so they'll almost certainly be in the mix when they play City.

Newcastle another point towards safety.

More games for the FFP (and everything else) abusers.

Really need Wolves to get anybody but the abusers in the semi-final, I'd have thought it would have a major impact on their team selection on the last day.

We really, really need to hang in there, the timing of the fixtures will favour us in April.

Dane

NEXT!
Yep, agreed.
Could do with City and Wolves in the final, although I think their run of fixtures in April could put us back in the driving seat.

After all this quadruple talk, I'd literally piss myself if they finished up with just the League Cup.

Danny_

7 games to go and with each great escape we do like we did today, we will gain momentum. Obviously, I would like us to smash teams the way City do but in the end, they get the same points as us.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin

Same for me. Even if we don't make it this time around, there is some strong reason for hope that we won't fade away this time, but stay strong and even reinforce ourselves again.

Like you say, the worst is no doubt when everything falls apart. For me, the worst periods have come after Houillier's heart-attack and the enfollowing strange decisions (ie. preferring Diouf to Fowler, calling that young midfielder, what was his name, the new Zidane etc.), then Rafa losing it after having been backstabbed by those ignominious leeches, then Hodgson coming in after that, and losing it even more. That is devastation, and I was devastated at the time. fsg and King Kenny coming in provided hope again, before it all fell into chaos again, that was even harder to take... then the 14-15 after all the excitment of 13-14... horrible...

This time around, it all feels different. Hopefully it's not an illusion (fingers crossed!), but I feel that the club is strong enough now to keep the best players on board, and we have Klopp who won't go away. More importantly, the club is strong enough too now to attract good players, and this good season will yet again make people notice us, and make them think that we are on the verge of something special. We won't fade away I think this time, and that's the whole difference.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Same for me. Even if we don't make it this time around, there is some strong reason for hope that we won't fade away this time, but stay strong and even reinforce ourselves again.

Like you say, the worst is no doubt when everything falls apart. For me, the worst periods have come after Houillier's heart-attack and the enfollowing strange decisions (ie. preferring Diouf to Fowler, calling that young midfielder, what was his name, the new Zidane etc.), then Rafa losing it after having been backstabbed by those ignominious leeches, then Hodgson coming in after that, and losing it even more. That is devastation, and I was devastated at the time. fsg and King Kenny coming in provided hope again, before it all fell into chaos again, that was even harder to take... then the 14-15 after all the excitment of 13-14... horrible...

This time around, it all feels different. Hopefully it's not an illusion (fingers crossed!), but I feel that the club is strong enough now to keep the best players on board, and we have Klopp who won't go away. More importantly, the club is strong enough too now to attract good players, and this good season will yet again make people notice us, and make them think that we are on the verge of something special. We won't fade away I think this time, and that's the whole difference.
Was that Anthony Le Tallec?

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Was that Anthony Le Tallec?
No, Bruno Cheyrou (after googling 'new zidane at LFC'). He was tagged like that by Houillier when he signed. A big error, as he turned out to be a total flop for us in the end.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
No, Bruno Cheyrou (after googling 'new zidane at LFC'). He was tagged like that by Houillier when he signed. A big error, as he turned out to be a total flop for us in the end.
Ah yeah that's right. I just remember le Tallec and pongolle came to us highly rated kids after being the 2 best players in the u18 euros

RedForever2014

Results went really well for us today.

Palace going out the cup so no distractions for them.

Burnley losing so they'll almost certainly be in the mix when they play City.

Newcastle another point towards safety.

More games for the FFP (and everything else) abusers.

Really need Wolves to get anybody but the abusers in the semi-final, I'd have thought it would have a major impact on their team selection on the last day.

We really, really need to hang in there, the timing of the fixtures will favour us in April.
The title race is ever moving, intricate and interlinked, and I also am looking at external factors for hope and encouragement.

In respect of our matches post the break, playing Spurs first and on the Sunday, is a good thing in terms of getting one of the big remaining matches out of the way before midweek matches kick in, and with that extra day post the break that those playing Saturday don't have.

Spurs will of course be fired up for similar reasons, but with home advantage and the opportunity to add to their troubles in respect of top four qualification before they play City in the league, a win for us would be huge.

Although we don't then have a week off between matches, unless we don't make the CL semis, we do have more evenly spaced matches.

Southampton away will be tough but we'll have four days before it and three days after it before Porto. Chelsea after we've played Tuesday and they've played Thursday will help. Porto away will depend on the first leg, hopefully we'll just need a solid performance. Cardiff will be the last of the away games at desperate clubs.

I do believe that if we win the next four PL matches, which we really have to after the win draw win sequence over recent matches, and go through versus Porto, we really will have a good chance in both.

By the time we play Huddersfield after a short break post Cardiff, they will be down and if City have slipped against United midweek, we could be back in control of the title race.

Then it's a huge fortnight if we're in the semis. Hopefully Newcastle will be safe by then and Wolves will be resting players ahead of a cup final the next weekend.

As to City, unfortunately the cup draws have favoured them. What should have been a tough ask to compete on four fronts has been made easy for them. They have rotation up front which keeps them sharp, and they're getting decisions that ensure results that wouldn't otherwise be the case.

Hopefully by the time they play Spurs in the league they'll both be fatigued and will play out a draw. If United are out of the CL they'll need to beat City for top 4 qualification. If Palace and Leicester (managed by ex Liverpool managers) decide to have good days, or the relegation threatened sides mange something against them that they don't against us, that will be a bonus.

Whilst I'd be confident of a last day win against Wolves at home in any circumstance, I can't see City slipping at Brighton if the title rests on it.

Main thing for us is to start winning more comfortably. It's not like we're playing poorly, we are solid defensively (odd mistakes and poor refereeing decisions aside) and dominating possession. We just aren't creating as many clear cut chances, nor converting them.

The main areas for improvement are better and more consistent deliveries from the full backs, Bobby finding more consistency after the break and - above all - Salah sorting his head out and thinking quicker and more clearly.

Other than the international break hopefully favouring us rather than hindering us - no injuries, fringe players (Lovren, Keita and Shaqiri) getting game time and others a rest (Matip, Robertson, Milner, Henderson, Salah), the main remaining issue is how Klopp uses his players during the run in, especially the midfield.

Defence picks itself, save for injuries and suspension and a bit of competition for right sided centre back and occasional rotation.

Same for the attack, with Origi perhaps getting the odd start (Huddersfield at home) and minutes from the bench. Sturridge shouldn't really be anything other than a last few minutes time wasting change.

Before people have a go, this is just my opinion but I believe it is valid.

Klopp has to recognise that his best midfield is Fabinho, Gini and Milner and use this midfield in matches against top sides. It is extremely frustrating to see Henderson picked ahead of any of these three. Fabinho is a class above Henderson, Gini is better at the role alongside a DM and Milner offers more offensively, if only his dead balls and penalties.

No other midfield we can field is currently better or more balanced than Fabinho, Gini and Milner, and this midfield should be the one used more often than not and certainly against Spurs, Chelsea, Porto and in any CL semi and final.

Henderson and Lallana should be used in rotation against lesser sides, and from the bench. Keita and Shaqiri should be used very sparingly given their inconsistency, whilst Oxlade should not be given anything other than token gesture minutes unless for some reason he really hits the ground running.

Despite how it may appear after comments I've made this season, I do respect and admire Klopp and believe him to be a top manager. I just think he has tactical blindspots and sometimes allows loyalty and sentiment to muddy his decisions making.

Let's hope this break works for us and we come back raring to go for the final sequence.

Last edited: