• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Your thoughts on the season to come - Prediction time

sms1986

Other than the international break hopefully favouring us rather than hindering us - no injuries, fringe players (Lovren, Keita and Shaqiri) getting game time and others a rest (Matip, Robertson, Milner, Henderson, Salah), the main remaining issue is how Klopp uses his players during the run in, especially the midfield.
I actually made a list of our players over the break a few days ago, overall it looks very good for us -

EGYPT - Salah not picked for the internationals
GUINEA - Keita not picked for the internationals
SPAIN - Moreno not picked for the internationals
ENGLAND - Henderson has a minor injury, Milner retired from international duty ages ago
CAMEROON - Matip doesn't play for Cameroon at the moment

SENEGAL (Mane)

March 23rd vs Madagascar (H)
March 26th vs Mali (H)

BRAZIL (Alisson, Firmino, Fabinho)

March 23rd vs Panama (N - being played in Portugal)
March 26th vs Czech Republic (A)

ENGLAND (Alexander-Arnold)

March 22nd vs Czech Republic (H)
March 25th vs Montenegro (A)

SCOTLAND (Robertson - not playing in first game due to dental surgery)

March 24th vs San Marino (A)

NETHERLANDS (van Dijk, Wijnaldum)

March 21st vs Belarus (H)
March 24th vs Germany (H)

SWITZERLAND (Shaqiri)

March 23rd vs Georgia (A)
March 26th vs Denmark (H)

CROATIA (Lovren - suspended for first match)

March 24th vs Hungary (A)

BELGIUM (Origi, Mignolet)

March 21st vs Russia (H)
March 24th vs Cyprus (A)

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
I have this strange feeling that Ox will play a big part in our season. He may come back, hitting the ground running, and provide that extra dimension as the forward midfielder. He is a really useful player to have waiting in the wings, hopefully he is going to be a vital cog vefore this is finished.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
I actually made a list of our players over the break a few days ago, overall it looks very good for us -

ENGLAND - Henderson has a minor injury, Milner retired from international duty ages ago

SENEGAL (Mane)

March 26th vs Mali (H)

SWITZERLAND (Shaqiri)

March 21st vs Russia (H)
March 24th vs Cyprus (A)
Nice to see Salah in particular get a bit of a break, that's potentially huge. Hopefully he can also reset a bit and clear his head of whatever it is holding him back a bit at the moment. He's still contributing, sure, but having him back in the goals would be a real boost as we enter the final straight.

RedForever2014

SENEGAL (Mane)

March 26th vs Mali (H)

SWITZERLAND (Shaqiri)

March 21st vs Russia (H)
March 24th vs Cyprus (A)
I hate international breaks, I don't watch the matches and load the Echo every morning expecting to see bad news of an injury.

It's great that a good few of our guys aren't going and that a good few will hopefully get match fitness from playing for their national sides.

I just hope something doesn't happen that scuppers us.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Nice to see Salah in particular get a bit of a break, that's potentially huge. Hopefully he can also reset a bit and clear his head of whatever it is holding him back a bit at the moment. He's still contributing, sure, but having him back in the goals would be a real boost as we enter the final straight.
Was thinking this as well. A fortnight of resting, training, resting, training... really good, as he looked a bit burnt out yesterday in terms of ideas how to get rid of his defenders, or on the rare occasions when he was one on one versus the goalie. Even his first touch seemed a bit off at times. That could have to do with fatigue and/or mental strain. He can train these aspects the next two weeks, and get plenty of rest. It will do him the world of good, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him coming out of this period all guns blazing.

Same applies to the other players staying back. Matip, Keita and Henderson could benefit from the break too.

LFCFFC

^That image is giving me awful 14/15 flashbacks.

Very happy Mo is getting some time off. Being greedy, I'd like the same for Bobby and Mane but at least the former is staying within Europe.

Nevoo34

Sleeping with the enemy
For me win the next 3, Spurs, Southampton & Chelsea and we will do it, City's April is brutal and I really believe they will drop points somewhere in that run.

If they win all 8 from here fair fucks but fuck it, we are winning this fucking title and big ears too.

Nevoo34

Sleeping with the enemy
7 games to go and with each great escape we do like we did today, we will gain momentum. Obviously, I would like us to smash teams the way City do but in the end, they get the same points as us.
They don't though, 2 slim 1 nils against West ham and Bournemouth and needed a helping hand against Watford too.

donks

TIA First Team
For me win the next 3, Spurs, Southampton & Chelsea and we will do it, City's April is brutal and I really believe they will drop points somewhere in that run.

If they win all 8 from here fair fucks but fuck it, we are winning this fucking title and big ears too.
I think you're right, win the next 3 and we win the league but on current form it's a big ask. Southampton away worries me than Chelsea at home.

RedForever2014

We can't really assess things until we know what state the squad is in after the break.

It's one match at a time, but the next five matches will certainly have a huge bearing. Come off that pitch away at Porto with a semi secured after another three PL wins, a sequence of five PL wins in a row, and it'll be huge.

To achieve this we simply have to do better offensively. We can't miss the chances we do and we can't fail to create chances at all from positions we find ourselves in, like Salah running through the middle in space and it just resulting in a scuffed shot, or a full back being in behind and it just being cut out.

It will come down to using the right players at the right time, especially in midfield.

I've seen enough to firmly believe that Klopp's use of Henderson will have a huge bearing.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Newcastle fixture change for TV coverage announced on 5th April.
Last game of the season TV coverage announced after match #37.

RedForever2014

Given the fixture changes announced yesterday, if City are going to drop points it'll be in April, when they've a match every midweek and a few times they've only two days off between matches.

If they're still in control of the title race by May, I don't see them dropping points against Leicester at home or Brighton away in their last two matches. Even if they're still in the CL, the end will be in sight and mentally they'll be well up for it.

I think that whoever is in control by the time we play Huddersfield will win it, as I think the relegation battle will be resolved by then and Burnley away won't be a banana skin for City.

We are two points ahead and play four matches before Huddersfield. City play five matches in this time. If we win against Spurs, Southampton, Chelsea and Cardiff, then City will need to win all their matches to be above us before the final three matches.

Unless Fulham pull something out of the bag in what is perhaps their last chance to survive, City will win the first two matches (including Cardiff).

The potential issues for City in the PL are at Palace away, a fifth match in two weeks and with Spurs in the CL to follow midweek, followed by Spurs at home in the PL and then United away.

City could drop between two points to seven points from that fifteen. If we can win our next four, we'd then at the very least have the title race in our hands, and ideally be able to drop points at Newcastle between any CL semi legs.

At the start of the season we said we needed to beat the lesser sides more and take more points from the matches against the top 6.

We've progressed in both respects, augmenting this with wins against two top six sides and two relegation threatened ones over the next four matches, would be the ideal way to take back control of the title race and maybe put us on the brink of winning it.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
We really need to win the next two against Spurs and Southampton. Hard to see City doing anything other than improving their goal difference against Fulham and Cardiff and we can't afford to fall behind before we play Chelsea. That day could be the most significant in the title race. City play Palace who have become a bit of a bogey team for them. Not only beat them at the Eithad but got a 0-0 home draw last season and missed a last minute penalty. Hodgson's negative game plan works well against the better teams and they could get something there. We play Chelsea almost 5 years to the day since the Gerrard slip. They are our bogey team, at least at Anfield. Not beaten there since 2012. Tough game potentially but it depends what version of Chelsea actually turns up.

If we're still ahead then the title really opens up for us. Huddersfield and Cardiff are just much worse than we are and Newcastle and Wolves should be on the beach by the time we play them so the last 4 look very winnable. Nerves and pressure will definitely be a factor then though. The media narrative has been nerves and pressure getting to us since the City defeat but I don't think they have kicked in yet. We have just had difficulty in being completely perfect whilst City have kept winning. We are 15 points clear of everyone else so the results haven't been bad. They just haven't been as good as they needed to be to stay ahead of City.

Last edited:

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
I think you're right, win the next 3 and we win the league but on current form it's a big ask. Southampton away worries me than Chelsea at home.
I agree. Spurs on mother days as well. I have got the in laws coming around and he’s a big spurs fan though a tough day if we lose. On the plus side, a client just GAVE me 4 tickets for Southampton away. Completely free and out of the blue. It’s a sign from god.

donks

TIA First Team
I agree. Spurs on mother days as well. I have got the in laws coming around and he’s a big spurs fan though a tough day if we lose. On the plus side, a client just GAVE me 4 tickets for Southampton away. Completely free and out of the blue. It’s a sign from god.
What's your record like when going to games is the big question?

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
What's your record like when going to games is the big question?
I’ m ok but my wife went to 7 away defeats in a row in the last few seasons combined. Obviously she doesn’t go to every away game but did seem to come to everyone we lost including palace away in the pouring rain about 3 years ago. I think at that point she was having doubts about carrying on but I think the last one she went to was 4.0 at West Ham last year so she’s back in the fold.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
I tell you what I am drained today.... that was tough yesterday.

My heart felt so heavy after they scored. Like the Hope had diminished. Like a flickering candle, about to blow out....
And then just pandemonium.

And today, my heart is glowing..... I'm looking around the skies, birds, trees - and just contemplating how this world works. How can Salah's tame header, be saved but then trickle in? How does VVD keep 2 players out?

There is no better drama. Nothing even close.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Latest round of fixtures to be changed for TV will be released on Friday.
Only game that will affect us is Newcastle.
Id say it's guaranteed to be changed for TV with the most likely outcome 1730 on Saturday 4th May.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Id say it's guaranteed to be changed for TV with the most likely outcome 1730 on Saturday 4th May.
Is that sandwiched between the Barca semi's?

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Is that sandwiched between the Barca semi's?
It is.
Which is why it's unlikely to be moved to a Friday, Sunday or Monday televised game.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
No surprise to learn today that we've been give the second game on Sunday 5th May.
I should have known better.

cynicaloldgit

Resident Misanthrope
Ad-free Member
I did a few basic calculations for the remaining matches, based on how many points our remaining opponents are picking up at home or away (based on where we play them) and then did the same for City’s last six opponents.

The first number after the team’s name is the number of games played by that team either home or away this season. The second is the number of points collected in those games; the third is the average PPG, rounded to two decimal places.

Us
Chelsea (H) 16 28 1.75
Cardiff (A) 17 20 1.18
Huddersfield (H) 16 6 0.38
Newcastle (A) 16 22 1.38
Wolves (H) 16 20 1.25
Average 1.19

City
Palace (A) 16 16 1.00
Spurs (H) 17 33 1.94
Man Utd (A) 15 32 2.13
Burnley (A) 16 20 1.25
Leicester (H) 16 21 1.31
Brighton (A) 15 22 1.47
Average 1.52

Viewed from this perspective, City face a tougher run-in than ours; as I wrote much earlier in this thread, given a level playing field we should win the league.