• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Your thoughts on the season to come - Prediction time

Danny_

I did a few basic calculations for the remaining matches, based on how many points our remaining opponents are picking up at home or away (based on where we play them) and then did the same for City’s last six opponents.

The first number after the team’s name is the number of games played by that team either home or away this season. The second is the number of points collected in those games; the third is the average PPG, rounded to two decimal places.

Us
Chelsea (H) 16 28 1.75
Cardiff (A) 17 20 1.18
Huddersfield (H) 16 6 0.38
Newcastle (A) 16 22 1.38
Wolves (H) 16 20 1.25
Average 1.19

City
Palace (A) 16 16 1.00
Spurs (H) 17 33 1.94
Man Utd (A) 15 32 2.13
Burnley (A) 16 20 1.25
Leicester (H) 16 21 1.31
Brighton (A) 15 22 1.47
Average 1.52

Viewed from this perspective, City face a tougher run-in than ours; as I wrote much earlier in this thread, given a level playing field we should win the league.
Palace were awful today and were really lucky to beat Newcastle so I don't hold out much hope in the next one. Our chances really depend on what Spurs and Man United do and whether we can run the gauntlet ourselves and win all the way in.

Last edited:

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Palace were awful today and were really lucky to beat Newcastle so I don't hold out much hope in the next one. Our chances really depend on what Spurs and Man United do and whether we can run the gauntlet ourselves and win all the way in.
Remember the only teams to have taken points off city this season are Palace, Newcastle, Leicester and Wolves - and of course ourselves and Chelsea. The away games to Palace and Burnley will be tricky. Leicester at home could be good too. And brighton last game of season could be interesting if they still need a point to guarantee safety... So its not just Spurs and United.

Commando

Ad-free Member
Remember the only teams to have taken points off city this season are Palace, Newcastle, Leicester and Wolves - and of course ourselves and Chelsea. The away games to Palace and Burnley will be tricky. Leicester at home could be good too. And brighton last game of season could be interesting if they still need a point to guarantee safety... So its not just Spurs and United.
There's also the revenge factor after yesterday's game.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
We haven’t beaten Chelsea in 6 home games in the league going back to 2012.
Cardiff away in the league we only have one game in recent time and that was a 6-3 win.
Huddersfield at home we have only one game in recent time and that was last season which was 3-0 win.
Our last six away games at Newcastle reads one win, two draws and three defeats.
Wolves at home we haven’t really played much in the league in last 9 years but that’s one win and one defeat.

Basically none of our fixtures should be taken lightly.

MarcusBerglund

Good result today and not so good yesterday.

Palace won and are practically saved from relegation. I have the nasty feeling that they won't be 100% concentrated next week.
Burnley are 90% safe too, Leicester and BHA /final game of the season/ will play for nothing by the time they play &ity.
Our only realistic chance for them to lose points is Spurs at home and Manure away.
Well, spurs always find their way to fail at the end and I don't believe they can steal points at the Emptihad.
Manure away could be tough, but only if the red mancs have incentive to win. They need to have realistic chance to be in top 4. So Everton's win was good for us. Hopefully Manure will win their next two games vs. West Ham /home/ and Everton /away/ and if Arsenal lose points in at least one of their two next games it will be game on for Shitskjer and his ladies.
So /I never believed I 'd say that, but.../ I hope for 3 consecutive wins for Manure /hopefully they lose the tie vs. Barca, so their only hope of playing CL next season will be getting in top 4 in the PL/.
If Manure don't have a realistic chance for top 4, it is all clear. They will lose without fight, they hate us much more and every red manc I know prefers their neighbours winning the league. I remember how they played and lost in 2014/2015 vs. City. 0-3 and a total lack of desire to win. They just wanted us to lose and after 5 seasons nothing has changed.

And of course LFC have no room for a single mistake. Chelsea game will be huge.

jaffod

Palace won and are practically saved from relegation. I have the nasty feeling that they won't be 100% concentrated next week.
Burnley are 90% safe too, Leicester and BHA /final game of the season/ will play for nothing by the time they play &ity.
Our only realistic chance for them to lose points is Spurs at home and Manure away.
Well, spurs always find their way to fail at the end and I don't believe they can steal points at the Emptihad.
Manure away could be tough, but only if the red mancs have incentive to win. They need to have realistic chance to be in top 4. So Everton's win was good for us. Hopefully Manure will win their next two games vs. West Ham /home/ and Everton /away/ and if Arsenal lose points in at least one of their two next games it will be game on for Shitskjer and his ladies.
So /I never believed I 'd say that, but.../ I hope for 3 consecutive wins for Manure /hopefully they lose the tie vs. Barca, so their only hope of playing CL next season will be getting in top 4 in the PL/.
If Manure don't have a realistic chance for top 4, it is all clear. They will lose without fight, they hate us much more and every red manc I know prefers their neighbours winning the league. I remember how they played and lost in 2014/2015 vs. City. 0-3 and a total lack of desire to win. They just wanted us to lose and after 5 seasons nothing has changed.

Depends how you look at things. Palace and Burnley might play with more freedom and actually have a go instead of sitting back and waiting to be picked off.
Man U and Spurs will both be in the mix for CL places when they play City, neither will have qualified already or be out of the running.
Leicester could still have a chance of Eurooean football by the time they play City.
Brighton might need points to avoid relegation.
That said I'll be surprised if any of them take points off the FFP abusers. It's all a bit shit really.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member

I would like to see teams at least give City a game. Wear them out a bit. Since the international break their games have been glorified training sessions. Early goal, then bore everyone into submission with possession football. Dull to watch and I stopped watching them a long time ago, but very effective when you're trying to conserve energy and going for 4 trophies. Whilst all that's been going on we've been scrambling under barbed wire from trench to trench, running on pure adrenaline. Klopp was right. If we win it then we will win it through sheer willpower.

I will be disappointed if Palace don't give them a game. Bit of a bogey team for them and Hodgson's negativity and their quality in attacking positions should make that more of a test than anything else they've had recently. Spurs are good but rarely do well against the better teams. I have more faith in Brighton on the last day getting anything than I do United. I can not imagine Solskjaer wanting his legendary status tarnished by being the manager who gifted Liverpool number 19.

My dark horse in their run in is Leicester. You can be sure BR will be bang up for that one. Chance to outwit Pep. Look good on his CV.

Red Submarine

SIX, and counting.
OK, I'm going to be honest. I'm not optimistic :-( Whatever happens it will have been a fantastic season and the progress has been almost beyond belief, but as soon as it was out of our hands my head dropped a bit. It's not our fault that we're up against a club with unlimited funds, and carte blanche to disregard FFP rules, but that is the situation sadly. What Klopp has achieved in the face of this, and to be this hot on their heels at this stage, is staggering. I do think we've ridden our luck here and there recently while they have swept teams aside. I can see them winning all their league games from hereon in, and I don't see us doing that. I don't fancy either of us for the CL. Hope I'm completely wrong of course and my support will never waver. It's just my gut :-(

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
I’m convinced city will drop points.
Burnley, Brighton, United, Palace are there away games.
Three of them will have piece of mind that they are safe and the freedom that comes with it. United will be desperate for top 4.
Spurs and Leicester at home won’t be easy either. Spurs still battling for 4th and Leicester under the great educator will surely see Guardiola stumble.

We have to beat Hazard, two woeful teams in Cardiff and Huddersfield, our good friend Rafas newcastle, and wolves.

I’m going to say we will be champions before we even play wolves.
City will win the cup double.
Barcelona will beat Man City in champions league final.

I have to think this way because the idea of losing once all season and getting 97 points and still finishing second would kill me off.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
I’m convinced city will drop points.
Burnley, Brighton, United, Palace are there away games.
Three of them will have piece of mind that they are safe and the freedom that comes with it. United will be desperate for top 4.
Spurs and Leicester at home won’t be easy either. Spurs still battling for 4th and Leicester under the great educator will surely see Guardiola stumble.

We have to beat Hazard, two woeful teams in Cardiff and Huddersfield, our good friend Rafas newcastle, and wolves.

I’m going to say we will be champions before we even play wolves.
City will win the cup double.
Barcelona will beat Man City in champions league final.

I have to think this way because the idea of losing once all season and getting 97 points and still finishing second would kill me off.
They are in with a realistic shout of qualifying for the Europa League.
And Brendan still hasn't given up hope of a statue outside Anfield.

We will win the league at St James Park.

Kenny Dalglish LFC Legend

I would like to see teams at least give City a game. Wear them out a bit. Since the international break their games have been glorified training sessions. Early goal, then bore everyone into submission with possession football. Dull to watch and I stopped watching them a long time ago, but very effective when you're trying to conserve energy and going for 4 trophies. Whilst all that's been going on we've been scrambling under barbed wire from trench to trench, running on pure adrenaline. Klopp was right. If we win it then we will win it through sheer willpower.

I will be disappointed if Palace don't give them a game. Bit of a bogey team for them and Hodgson's negativity and their quality in attacking positions should make that more of a test than anything else they've had recently. Spurs are good but rarely do well against the better teams. I have more faith in Brighton on the last day getting anything than I do United. I can not imagine Solskjaer wanting his legendary status tarnished by being the manager who gifted Liverpool number 19.

My dark horse in their run in is Leicester. You can be sure BR will be bang up for that one. Chance to outwit Pep. Look good on his CV.
Got to admit I agree with you. City bore the pants off me. Same as watching Barca. I´d rather watch paint dry. although they do score some lovely goals but the build up play zzzzzz.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Latest round of fixtures to be changed for TV will be released on Friday.
Only game that will affect us is Newcastle.
Id say it's guaranteed to be changed for TV with the most likely outcome 1730 on Saturday 4th May.
Is that sandwiched between the Barca semi's?
No surprise to learn today that we've been give the second game on Sunday 5th May.
I should have known better.
Just read on Twitter that Sky and the PL have indicated that they may change the Newcastle fixture again, if when we qualify for the CL semi final, to avoid us having to play Sunday then Tuesday.

We'll see.

May end up being discussed further in here.

https://forums.thisisanfield.com/threads/conspiracy-bias-dumb-luck-why-do-lfc-get-shit-decisions.26239/page-37

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Really? I’d say that it’s the perfect opportunity for him to shaft the club that sacked him.
You don't understand how BR's mind works. Because a few of his players are still at the club (Hendo, Lovren, Lallana, Sturridge... think that's it?) he'll be able to claim at least partial credit for a title win ;-)

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Just read on Twitter that Sky and the PL have indicated that they may change the Newcastle fixture again, if when we qualify for the CL semi final, to avoid us having to play Sunday then Tuesday.

We'll see.

May end up being discussed further in here.

https://forums.thisisanfield.com/threads/conspiracy-bias-dumb-luck-why-do-lfc-get-shit-decisions.26239/page-37
That was already mentioned when the TV fixture for Newcastle was announced. Depends on the Tues/Wed combination of semis. I think if both Manc teams make it, then it causes a bit of movement.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member

belldiouf

TIA New Signing

Nur der BvB09

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall
To carry on where we are and doing better what more can we ask from our Team?
Ironically "if" we don t win the Championship this year or Champions league we ll be trolled somehow from fans of THE CLUBS which would have given everything to be where we are now.
As a LFC Fan i am PROUD to see where we are Right now Fighting for all !
If we Keep it up i am more than happy!

Danny_

Wyrd bið fūl aræd. Liverpool 2 - Chelsea 0. 4 games to go and only the three spinners who weave our fate at the root of the tree of life know how it ends. It looked for a while like one of them had her shears out and would cut the thread of our title challenge but then she smiled as us and Salah struck. 4 games to go. We are still holding on. We won't go away. Fate is fate

Commando

Ad-free Member
Wyrd bið fūl aræd. Liverpool 2 - Chelsea 0. 4 games to go and only the three spinners who weave our fate at the root of the tree of life know how it ends. It looked for a while like one of them had her shears out and would cut the thread of our title challenge but then she smiled as us and Salah struck. 4 games to go. We are still holding on. We won't go away. Fate is fate
Nice.

We love you weavers, we do,
Oh, weavers we love you.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
8 wins in a row in all competitions now.
I think the psychological effect of last night will see City slip up in the league, and will spell the end for Guardiola.

Regardless of the above, we need to keep winning.
I'd take a draw in Barcelona, but every other game is must win.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
8 wins in a row in all competitions now.
I think the psychological effect of last night will see City slip up in the league, and will spell the end for Guardiola.

Regardless of the above, we need to keep winning.
I'd take a draw in Barcelona, but every other game is must win.
Not sure how going out will impact City but I am sure that if that Sterling goal been allowed and they had won last night in those circumstances they'd have won every game to the end of the season. The belief they'd have got from that would have made them unstoppable.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
League champions.

no way we'll win it by 4 points though Illok....thats not 'Liverpool' enough...not in our DNA anymore to have a relaxed May.....needs to be a last gasp goal on the last day of the season or something like that....

but we'll win it.
Hoping this prediction doesn't come true.... I may be in my 20's but I think this'll kill me off.

I'll take a 4 point win!