• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Your thoughts on the season to come - Prediction time

jaffod

That week we play Barca will be fucking brutal. Barca away on Wednesday, Newcastle away on Saturday and Barca at home on Tuesday. 3 games in 6 days. We'll need everyone fit and up for it to come through that.

Colorado Red

TIA New Signing
I think that it’s a fair statement that, right now, the 3 best teams in the world are, in no particular order, Barca, City, and Liverpool.

We face Barca in the CL semis.
We are neck and neck with City in the PL.

God, I pray for the double, but regardless how this all turns out, it’s been an amazing season, and it would be almost an injustice to have a team this historically good not win at least 1 title.

As for the PL, we’ll know a whole lot more in a week, after we’ve faced a Cardiff side that will be playing for their lives and under a manager that hates us, and meanwhile City face a rematch against the team that just knocked them out of the CL, plus their arch-rivals ManU. For the Spurs-City game, it will be a question of how much either team has left in the tank after Wednesday’s drama, and for the City-United game, whether ManU can put in a big performance, or whether their “Ole bump” is truly over, as they haven’t looked all that impressive in the last few games even when they have won.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
That week we play Barca will be fucking brutal. Barca away on Wednesday, Newcastle away on Saturday and Barca at home on Tuesday. 3 games in 6 days. We'll need everyone fit and up for it to come through that.
Has this been confirmed anywhere yet?
Cant find it if it has

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
That's the only period when it will be tight. We'll have 5 days between Huddersfield and Barca first leg and 5 days between Barca return leg and Wolves. That should be fine on paper, but we'll see. Why did they move the Newcastle from Saturday to Sunday prematurely, as we had a very good chance of qualifying? Or they didn't know if we'd play the second leg against Barca on Tuesday or Wednesday?

RedForever2014

Disappointing result today in the City match, but here are the positives;

Leicester won, improving their goal difference to two ahead of Wolves. They still have a chance of 7th and will still have a chance of 7th when they play City, even if Wolves beat Fulham. They need to beat City, then Chelsea and hope we beat Wolves. If they draw at City, Wolves are secure in 7th before they play us (if they've beaten Fulham).

Rodgers has motivation beyond trying to get 7th. He was the manager who suffered the pain of LFC's last near miss to City. He would love to be associated with LFC beating City to it this time.

If we beat Newcastle and go top again, Rodgers would be the man to keep us there if he can take points at City.

If Rodgers takes something off them, it will be two ex Liverpool managers who are the only ones to take points from City in 2019. This assumes City win at Brighton. If this happens, Rodgers having taken the Leicester job when he did will kind of look part of the universe's plan.

If we beat Newcastle and Leicester get something at City, the pressure of the title being in our hands again will only be the case for one match, the final match at home to Wolves.

In 1986 we thought all was lost, but in the penultimate match Everton unexpectedly dropped points at Oxford and we won the title on the final day. The buzz from that carried us to the double.

Imagine the buzz at the Tuesday night Champions League semi final second leg if City have dropped points the night before!

The main thing now is to ensure we stay in the CL tie on Wednesday, then beat Newcastle. Two tough away matches that we must navigate to give us the chance in the final week's two home matches of achieving our dreams.

The last thing we want is City celebrating the title, at home, the night before we play the second leg. We need to beat Newcastle, keep the title alive until the last day, and hope it's in our hands by Tuesday week.

dockers_strike

I really wish Mo had been more committed to block the stones' clearance off the line. Harsh I know but there you go, 29mm got them a goal today, fine margins and all that. Losing the title could go down to that 9mm / 29mm.

I think if we drop points at Newcastle or city win against Leicester then it is all over. Of course I will keep up the hope until the final whistle of the Wolves game. we've done maginificent this season but those draws have likely killed us. 1 win and 1 defeat gets you 3 points whereas two draws gets you 2 points. Champions League I really couldnt give a toss about. Has to be the league or nothing for me.

dockers_strike

Go and have a nice lie down and think about what you’ve just posted.
I really dont need to. 30 years without being Champions of England takes any shine off being European Champions in my opinion. Im sick of winning 'consolation' trophies to the title. No wonder the mancs and others mock us. Perhaps you've never had to sit through their chants of 'You nearly won the league'? I would gladly trade being CL winners in the next 5 seasons to land the league title right now.

All the other clubs who win the CL have been their national champions within the last 10 years. In fact, if you go back through the last 10 winners of the CL,Im willing to bet not one of them had not been their national champions in any of the previous 4 or 5 seasons. We've been a generation since that and people need to wake up to it and stop thinking being champions of europe means much in those circumstances.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
Its currently hard to see a combination of where city will drop any points and we will take maximum points. The teams playing against them seem defeated before kickoff and/or play as if they have already lost. A scenario of them with 2 lost points is on the extreme end of the highly unlikely scale, 4 or 5 dropped points is on the realms of close to impossible, 6 points dropped is a unicorn giving birth to bigfoot.

I think it will have to be next year for us, infact I am going to say that its 100% not going to be us as the PL champions this year, in the hope that at season's end, someone gets to reply to this post with a snarky comment.

treboeth

Its currently hard to see a combination of where city will drop any points and we will take maximum points. The teams playing against them seem defeated before kickoff and/or play as if they have already lost. A scenario of them with 2 lost points is on the extreme end of the highly unlikely scale, 4 or 5 dropped points is on the realms of close to impossible, 6 points dropped is a unicorn giving birth to bigfoot.

I think it will have to be next year for us, infact I am going to say that its 100% not going to be us as the PL champions this year, in the hope that at season's end, someone gets to reply to this post with a snarky comment.

Nine months ago this totally real picture was taken

The results are due soon ;-)

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
If Champions League is seen as a consolation trophy, then Klopp has improved the club beyond my wildest expectations! If someone told me, any season but this, that Liverpool will only win one trophy for the rest of the time and that I get to pick it, I would choose Champions League in a heartbeat.

This is not a go at anyone, I have to make that clear, but clubs like Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern and Arsenal would kill for that trophy, nevermind the plastic clubs like Man City and PSG. Don't forget that Liverpool haven't won it since 2005. I hope from the bottom of my heart that this is the year when they win no. 6 regardless of what happens in the league. It would take that trophy monkey of Klopp's back, as well as his players, and who knows what it could inspire them to achieve. Just look at what a loss in the final did to all of them this season.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
In 1986 we thought all was lost, but in the penultimate match Everton unexpectedly dropped points at Oxford and we won the title on the final day. The buzz from that carried us to the double.
The only thing to add to this great post is that (I can just remember this) that Everton side were fucking brilliant as well.

Football can throw these up.

Mascot88

Admin
I really dont need to. 30 years without being Champions of England takes any shine off being European Champions in my opinion. Im sick of winning 'consolation' trophies to the title. No wonder the mancs and others mock us. Perhaps you've never had to sit through their chants of 'You nearly won the league'? I would gladly trade being CL winners in the next 5 seasons to land the league title right now.

All the other clubs who win the CL have been their national champions within the last 10 years. In fact, if you go back through the last 10 winners of the CL,Im willing to bet not one of them had not been their national champions in any of the previous 4 or 5 seasons. We've been a generation since that and people need to wake up to it and stop thinking being champions of europe means much in those circumstances.
A) WTF? The Champions League is the most coveted trophy in club football. I know we want the league more, but that hardly makes big ears a consolation.

B) why do you give a shit what other fans sing?

C) We’ll probably finish this season with 97 points. That’s the third highest top flight total ever, and it will be rotten luck if the second best happens in the same season. There is little more that the lads could do to bring home the league.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
We're facing a bit of a double edged sword situation over the next fortnight.
We'd love to see Leicester win, but that means Wolves will likely have all to play for on the last day of the season.

We can only take care of our own business, and are more than equipped to beat Wolves.

Ideally, Leicester nick a point off City and Wolves win at the weekend, meaning they've already secured 7th when they face us.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
If Champions League is seen as a consolation trophy, then Klopp has improved the club beyond my wildest expectations! If someone told me, any season but this, that Liverpool will only win one trophy for the rest of the time and that I get to pick it, I would choose Champions League in a heartbeat.

This is not a go at anyone, I have to make that clear, but clubs like Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern and Arsenal would kill for that trophy, nevermind the plastic clubs like Man City and PSG. Don't forget that Liverpool haven't won it since 2005. I hope from the bottom of my heart that this is the year when they win no. 6 regardless of what happens in the league. It would take that trophy monkey of Klopp's back, as well as his players, and who knows what it could inspire them to achieve. Just look at what a loss in the final did to all of them this season.
Is right. The only thing I would add is that when it comes to 'consolation' trophies, we have only won one League Cup in 13 years. That's the extent of our trophy haul during that period so I don't think anyone can afford to be sniffy about winning the CL.

We really need to win something this season, either the league or CL, having gone this far. My sympathy if we don't is going to be 100% with the players (and JK of course). I am struggling to remember a season where this level of performance has been sustained over an entire campaign. Monstrous effort from them all and, whatever spin we might put on it, if they fall short again they are going to be totally gutted.

RedForever2014

The only thing to add to this great post is that (I can just remember this) that Everton side were fucking brilliant as well.

Football can throw these up.
It was a great season. I was a teenager and whilst I'd been going to most home matches and some away matches for a few years, I went to a lot more away matches that season.

As it was the year after Heysel, we were treated badly by police at a lot of away grounds, and were attacked by Spurs fans (or locals anyway) after the FA Cup semi final versus Southampton at White Hart Lane.

Everton were a great side, they'd come off the back of their league title and Cup Winners Cup win in 85 and FA Cup win the year before and added Lineker (who had such a good season Barce signed him after one season).

But we were great too. We had a mix of the experienced but ageing early 80s players, and some good young players who'd be the basis of the late 80s side (McMahon etc). We'd also recovered from the loss of Souness (after our treble in 84), which did hinder us in the 84/85 season. It was the tail end of Kenny's best playing days but he was still awesome (that goal at Chelsea), and Rush was in his prime and about to be sold to Juve (though he stayed a year).

Interestingly, we lost to our rivals for the title (Everton) in February and went unbeaten after that. We won our third match from the end of the season 5-0 at home on 26th April (same score and date) to an already relegated side (Birmingham). We beat Leicester (bottom half at the time) away in the penultimate match, who of course feature in the penultimate round of matches this time, and we beat a side (Chelsea) who were upper mid table in the final match (they finished 6th).

We couldn't believe it when Everton lost at Oxford on 30th April as we were beating Leicester. They had a game in hand too during much of the run in, I seem to remember, which I think they played after we played Chelsea.

Then we went to Wembley, and I was lucky enough to be sat with a bird's eye view of the goal in which we scored the three second half goals to clinch the double.

Fantastic season, which was followed by an odd one as Rush was leaving the next summer and a few older players had left. We finished second but by a large margin, went out early in the cup and lost to Arsenal in the league cup final, the first time we'd lost when Rush scored.

Having signed Aldridge (Feb I think), we added Barnes, Beardsley and Houghton during summer 87 and usurped Everton, winning two titles and a FA Cup during the next three seasons. To be honest, it should have been three doubles. To this day I don't know how we let Wimbledon get the better of us in 88, we were that good. The Arsenal loss in the league in 89 was understandable, as we were knackered after catching up the matches suspended after Hillsborough, whilst in 90 the calamitous 4-3 FA Cup semi loss to Palace was partly due to a few ageing defenders.

So let's all keep believing, as anything is still possible.

Last edited:

dockers_strike

A) WTF? The Champions League is the most coveted trophy in club football. I know we want the league more, but that hardly makes big ears a consolation.

B) why do you give a shit what other fans sing?

C) We’ll probably finish this season with 97 points. That’s the third highest top flight total ever, and it will be rotten luck if the second best happens in the same season. There is little more that the lads could do to bring home the league.
Why do I give a shit what other fans sing? Because I have to sit in the ground and listen to it. You? And you know what, they are right. Personally, Id rather hear us sing 'Bring on the Champions!' like we used to do but clearly, some have forgotten this since the CL is 'the most coveted trophy.'

I couldnt give a stuff if the CL is the most coveted trophy in football. Its like Bill Shankly said, first is first, second is nowhere and the league is the bread and butter with Europe the icing on the cake. Remember that, probably not, eh? If you think Shankly, Paisley, Fagan and the old bootroom thought the European Cup was more coveted than being Champions of England, you're sadly mistaken.

Some of this stuff sounds like the' football only started in 1992' mentality about the Premier League bullshit. Id welcome the Champions League to be a real league and only be competed for by real champions.

Its my opinion the Champions of Europe should be competed for by national champions, something we havent been for a generation not, a collection of teams who finish 2nd, 3rd, 4th or whatever. Im taking NOTHING away from this team's magnificent performance this season. If we dont win the title, its due to some pretty inept refing decisions and a financially doped club.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan

To be brutally honest, we have got what we have deserved over the last 29 years since we last won it. Taking a look at our points totals and our final position I don't think there can be any complaints. We've just been a bit shit:

1990–91
76​
2nd
1991–92
64​
6th
1992–93
59​
6th
1993–94
60​
8th
1994–95
74​
4th
1995–96
71​
3rd
1996–97
68​
4th
1997–98
65​
3rd
1998–99
54​
7th
1999–00
67​
4th
2000–01
69​
3rd
2001–02
80​
2nd
2002–03
64​
5th
2003–04
60​
4th
2004-05
58​
5th
2005–06
82​
3rd
2006–07
68​
3rd
2007–08
76​
4th
2008–09
86​
2nd
2009–10
63​
7th
2010–11
58​
6th
2011–12
52​
8th
2012–13
61​
7th
2013–14
84​
2nd
2014–15
62​
6th
2015–16
60​
8th
2016–17
76​
4th
2017–18
75​
4th

The two seasons we have come close are still relatively poor points totals - they don't venture above the average Champions points total (86.8pts) and our average over these 29 years is a stinking 67 points. Apart from this season, you couldn't argue we have had an 'unlucky year' where we were fighting another team with an above average points total.

We really can't complain. Outside of Leicester, I can't think of a situation where a team hasn't 'built into' a title. ie. setting up successive points totals over several seasons that eventually result in a title. United, Chelsea and City have all had very good points totals in the preceding years before winning the title, even when Mourinho took over Chelsea way back when.

This season is the first time we have ventured into (and above) the 80's for a while - the last 2 teams we had that did this (08/09, 13/14) got dismembered before that momentum could bring home the title. We are in a much better moment off the field now to hold onto our best players which will allow us to hold onto that momentum.

Its not even over yet but even if we don't win it, there is next year. Very very rarely are teams so lucky to play well over a season and for everything to fall in its place to bring home the title. Nearly always, the club just needs to wait in line and be ready to pounce if other teams falter. This was Klopp's very title challenge so its only natural that there will probably be a team in a better position than us to win it.

All we can do as fans is practice patience and be thankful of the position our club is in right now compared to nearly all others.

Last edited:

RedForever2014

To be brutally honest, we have got what we have deserved over the last 29 years since we last won it. Taking a look at our points totals and our final position I don't think there can be any complaints. We've just been a bit shit:

1990–91
76​
2nd
1991–92
64​
6th
1992–93
59​
6th
1993–94
60​
8th
1994–95
74​
4th
1995–96
71​
3rd
1996–97
68​
4th
1997–98
65​
3rd
1998–99
54​
7th
1999–00
67​
4th
2000–01
69​
3rd
2001–02
80​
2nd
2002–03
64​
5th
2003–04
60​
4th
2004-05
58​
5th
2005–06
82​
3rd
2006–07
68​
3rd
2007–08
76​
4th
2008–09
86​
2nd
2009–10
63​
7th
2010–11
58​
6th
2011–12
52​
8th
2012–13
61​
7th
2013–14
84​
2nd
2014–15
62​
6th
2015–16
60​
8th
2016–17
76​
4th
2017–18
75​
4th

The two seasons we have come close are still relatively poor points totals - they don't venture above the average Champions points total (86.8pts) and our average over these 29 years is a stinking 67 points. Apart from this season, you couldn't argue we have had an 'unlucky year' where we were fighting another team with an above average points total.

We really can't complain. Outside of Leicester, I can't think of a situation where a team hasn't 'built into' a title. ie. setting up successive points totals over several seasons that eventually result in a title. United, Chelsea and City have all had very good points totals in the preceding years before winning the title, even when Mourinho took over Chelsea way back when.

This season is the first time we have ventured into (and above) the 80's for a while - the last 2 teams we had that did this (08/09, 13/14) got dismembered before that momentum could bring home the title. We are in a much better moment off the field now to hold onto our best players which will allow us to hold onto that momentum.

Its not even over yet but even if we don't win it, there is next year. Very very rarely are teams so lucky to play well over a season and for everything to fall in its place to bring home the title. Nearly always, the club just needs to wait in line and be ready to pounce if other teams falter. This was Klopp's very title challenge so its only natural that there will probably be a team in a better position than us to win it.

All we can do as fans is practice patience and be thankful of the position our club is in right now compared to nearly all others.
We've not done great by historical standards since 1990 in the league, but there is merit in never having finished below 8th.

I think I read somewhere that we'd have won the title in 112 of 119 top flight seasons with our current points total.

City have money, luck, the media, favourable officialdom, and they also push the boundaries way more than we do (hysteria over decisions they don't get, ref intimidation). Some of those are interlinked, they get favourable decisions and get away with pushing refs because of the media.

The last thing English football needs is a club like that winning 9 out of the next 10 titles.

It's why we have to keep building and improving and have to ensure we minimise when and where we drop points. It might take the same points total we end up getting this season, or better, to ever win it.

There's still hope this season though. If you want any non top 6 side going to City, it's Leicester needing a win to get European football, with their counterattacking style.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"

1990–91
76​
2nd
1991–92
64​
6th
1992–93
59​
6th
1993–94
60​
8th
1994–95
74​
4th
1995–96
71​
3rd
1996–97
68​
4th
1997–98
65​
3rd
1998–99
54​
7th
1999–00
67​
4th
2000–01
69​
3rd
2001–02
80​
2nd
2002–03
64​
5th
2003–04
60​
4th
2004-05
58​
5th
2005–06
82​
3rd
2006–07
68​
3rd
2007–08
76​
4th
2008–09
86​
2nd
2009–10
63​
7th
2010–11
58​
6th
2011–12
52​
8th
2012–13
61​
7th
2013–14
84​
2nd
2014–15
62​
6th
2015–16
60​
8th
2016–17
76​
4th
2017–18
75​
4th

The one that stands out for me was 2012-2015. From 62 points, we jumped to 84 and then dropped back down to 61. These type of shock progress usually boils down to someone having an out of this world season. Now it seemed we are building it up gradually with 76-75, and yes this season is a big jump for us, but even if we fall next season I would expect us to be in the 78-82 points zone.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
The one that stands out for me was 2012-2015. From 62 points, we jumped to 84 and then dropped back down to 61. These type of shock progress usually boils down to someone having an out of this world season. Now it seemed we are building it up gradually with 76-75, and yes this season is a big jump for us, but even if we fall next season I would expect us to be in the 78-82 points zone.
I think it's almost a given we'll have less points next season. This season has been out of this world.
But I also think there's a chance high 80's, low 90's will win it next year. Dynasties don't last forever. And I think the lower half of the league will put up more of a fight next season. Just take a look at the form guide of the mid-table clubs the last couple of months. Many were heavily underperforming at the start of the season and they are starting to hit their stride. The Newcastles, Leicester's, WHU, Burnley's and CPs of next season will be a much tougher ask than this season.

RedForever2014

Well, we'll wake up a week today and pretty much know our fate for the season.

If we're not in control of the title race by then, through us winning at Newcastle and City dropping points to Leicester, it's pretty much over. If we're in control and don't beat Wolves at home then we don't deserve it anyway.

Plus we'll either be in the CL final, with a good chance of winning it, or we won't.

Four crucial matches, including City's match.

Get to next Wednesday in control of the title race and in the CL final, and the odds are on us winning both.

Mascot88

Admin
Why do I give a shit what other fans sing? Because I have to sit in the ground and listen to it. You? And you know what, they are right. Personally, Id rather hear us sing 'Bring on the Champions!' like we used to do but clearly, some have forgotten this since the CL is 'the most coveted trophy.'

I couldnt give a stuff if the CL is the most coveted trophy in football. Its like Bill Shankly said, first is first, second is nowhere and the league is the bread and butter with Europe the icing on the cake. Remember that, probably not, eh? If you think Shankly, Paisley, Fagan and the old bootroom thought the European Cup was more coveted than being Champions of England, you're sadly mistaken.

Some of this stuff sounds like the' football only started in 1992' mentality about the Premier League bullshit. Id welcome the Champions League to be a real league and only be competed for by real champions.

Its my opinion the Champions of Europe should be competed for by national champions, something we havent been for a generation not, a collection of teams who finish 2nd, 3rd, 4th or whatever. Im taking NOTHING away from this team's magnificent performance this season. If we dont win the title, its due to some pretty inept refing decisions and a financially doped club.
Tone it down, lad. No-one like the ‘I go to the game, and I’ve been a fan longer than you’ bullshit.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one

1990–91
76​
2nd
1991–92
64​
6th
1992–93
59​
6th
1993–94
60​
8th
1994–95
74​
4th
1995–96
71​
3rd
1996–97
68​
4th
1997–98
65​
3rd
1998–99
54​
7th
1999–00
67​
4th
2000–01
69​
3rd
2001–02
80​
2nd
2002–03
64​
5th
2003–04
60​
4th
2004-05
58​
5th
2005–06
82​
3rd
2006–07
68​
3rd
2007–08
76​
4th
2008–09
86​
2nd
2009–10
63​
7th
2010–11
58​
6th
2011–12
52​
8th
2012–13
61​
7th
2013–14
84​
2nd
2014–15
62​
6th
2015–16
60​
8th
2016–17
76​
4th
2017–18
75​
4th

Nice compilation of points achieved/finish position and it does show how poorly, at times, we've performed. As for this season 18/19, it's out of our hands as to where we will finish, but at least for the moment the Champions League is in our grasp and we should give it our all.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Can only speak for myself, but I would dearly love to see us win the CL again. I think winning the league would just shade it, in so far as if I was forced to choose between us winning one and winning the other I'd opt for the league, but it's close.

It would be a tremendous achievement, and a worthy reward for all the hard work Klopp and the team has put into this season. Every team needs experience of winning if it's to be sustainably successful, and if we win the CL but finish 2nd then I'm sure our experience in winning in Europe would be a boost to our title hopes next season.

Last edited:

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Can only speak for myself, but I would dearly love to see us win the CL again. I think winning the league would just shade it, in so far as if I was forced to choose between us winning one and winning the other I'd opt for the league, but it's close.
For me, winning anything, any cup would pleased me at this point. Those two are the major ones which will be celebrated for weeks (like 2005 where I took 2 weeks off just to celebrate my brains off). We are looking pretty close now....

vjcpatriot

For me, winning anything, any cup would pleased me at this point. Those two are the major ones which will be celebrated for weeks (like 2005 where I took 2 weeks off just to celebrate my brains off). We are looking pretty close now....
Yup we have a legitimate shot at winning both.

We just need City to slip up just a little in the final two matches, even a draw by them and we can take control of the title race again.

As for Barca, well Camp Nous is always tough. We just need to perform really well at home and this Liverpool side is capable of doing that. Klopp will make adjustments, anything is possible!

Liverpool has already outdone my preseason point prediction (88) by 3 points with 2 games to go. If they end up with 97 and don't take home the prize, well it would still have been the closest title race ever and a pretty good accomplishment.