• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Your thoughts on the season to come - Prediction time

waldaz

TIA Youth Team
It's really cruel if we end another season trophyless. This group of players really deserve one, the manager too.

Last edited:

Aelinn

We will win next week v barca ......they wont know what will hit them ..they wont have the dodgy calls the ref makes or bottle to deal withthe Anfield Roar ..... We are Liverpool . We are never going to stop :celebrating:

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Jurgen Klopp has never lost a 2 legged European tie as Liverpool manager.
I dont see that changing any time soon.

We were more than comfortable on Wednesday night against a fairly ordinary Barcelona.
Two uncharacteristic lapses in concentration from VVD, and a worldie free kick which could have been stopped if Gomez hadn't moved his head out the way.

No way will we be as wasteful in front of goal again, I'm confident we'll turn this round.
We'll also be high on confidence after our win against Newcastle and City drawing with Leicester.

Danny_

It looks like we will end the season with nothing. Hard to believe but it feels like we need a miracle at this point.

LFCFFC

Even if we do end trophy-less, it shouldn't detract from what has been one of the better seasons in the club's history.

There's also a far greater sense of permanence about us this time around compared to our previous challenges. Klopp's laying incredibly strong foundations which will inevitably result in trophies. We're not at the end of the line even if we're second/semi finalists come May 12.

The whole "it's a shit season unless you win something" barb which is thrown at Pochettino and Klopp in particular is baseless rubbish, unless you're the type of supporter that only places value in silverware and nothing else (i.e. plastic as fuck).

Last edited:

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Still not giving up. The team won't, why should I? Let's win the remaining games and see where it takes us. Believe.
That is all the team can do or try to do. We might come off as the second best of the best, and I can only hope that fans don't turn on the players and the manager. I may not be the most hopeful of the lot, and being called all sorts of names, but one thing I can definitely stand tall is the fact that a manager like Klopp will never hear me calling for his head. So for now, I had a very good ride and my hope is reserved for next season, not this season.

We now have the experience, the manager knows now what it is needed to take us to the promise land (100 points), we nearly got that formula right, now assemble our very own Avengers this summer and snap that Thanos (Guardiola) out of City next season and the season to come.

Notasuperfan

That is all the team can do or try to do. We might come off as the second best of the best, and I can only hope that fans don't turn on the players and the manager. I may not be the most hopeful of the lot, and being called all sorts of names, but one thing I can definitely stand tall is the fact that a manager like Klopp will never hear me calling for his head. So for now, I had a very good ride and my hope is reserved for next season, not this season.

We now have the experience, the manager knows now what it is needed to take us to the promise land (100 points), we nearly got that formula right, now assemble our very own Avengers this summer and snap that Thanos (Guardiola) out of City next season and the season to come.
I think the fans will not turn on the team or the manager coz' everyone will be too depressed after this sunday.

I too is feeling that depression. The only thing we can hope is that Pep gets sick and tired of the Man City project and fucks off to Juventus.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
I for once will not do that nor the majority of fans. We were a bit unlucky with the Joe Gomez injury and that it took Naby Keïta so long to adjust to us and the PL. We had a bad spell where we could have been 10 points up with a few draws what normally is no problem but City with the help of their 12th man took advantage.

Would like to see that we get a proper striker, like Agüero, so we can play Firmino in between attack and midfield. Would not mind getting Neres as a backup for Mané and Salah either. :)

RedForever2014

If it goes the way we fear, it is no disgrace to lose a CL semi to one of Europe's richest clubs, nor the CL title to England's richest club, especially as both clubs cheat the rules and are regularly aided by match officials.

Klopp has done his best with the resources available, and although he's made some mistakes, especially at key moments, we only had those key moments at all because of him getting us there.

The title was lost at the Etihad. This was in large part due to Kompany not being sent off. Klopp also picked the wrong midfield and our forwards were wasteful. The fatigue in Jan/Feb also hurt us, and we had little offensively on the bench to turn those draws to wins.

The CL semi was lost because we didn't take our chances. For the second season running, one injury to a forward left us with no viable forward alternatives of the same level, so we played an extra midfielder instead (Lallana in Kiev).

We won't by default compete at the same level next season without addressing issues.

Every time we've finished second previously we've sold a top player. That can't be the case this summer if we want to stay competitive.

We've also not done the right things to improve the team and squad how it needed improving. Let's hope we do what we need this time.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
If it goes the way we fear, it is no disgrace to lose a CL semi to one of Europe's richest clubs, nor the CL title to England's richest club, especially as both clubs cheat the rules and are regularly aided by match officials.

Klopp has done his best with the resources available, and although he's made some mistakes, especially at key moments, we only had those key moments at all because of him getting us there.

The title was lost at the Etihad. This was in large part due to Kompany not being sent off. Klopp also picked the wrong midfield and our forwards were wasteful. The fatigue in Jan/Feb also hurt us, and we had little offensively on the bench to turn those draws to wins.

The CL semi was lost because we didn't take our chances. For the second season running, one injury to a forward left us with no viable forward alternatives of the same level, so we played an extra midfielder instead (Lallana in Kiev).

We won't by default compete at the same level next season without addressing issues.

Every time we've finished second previously we've sold a top player. That can't be the case this summer if we want to stay competitive.

We've also not done the right things to improve the team and squad how it needed improving. Let's hope we do what we need this time.
I was going to approve your post until I got to your last line. Allisson for Mignolet? Keita and Fabinho in midfield? Shaqiri as back-up option for the front line?

I think it was a fucking great summer to be fair. I'm not sure what could have be done more, especially when you consider that Fekir was bound to come in too until his fitness concerns came out. It's probably fair enough to say that a fully fit Fekir could have made a difference for us this season, but I can't blame the club for having bailed out at the time. No need to create more work for our doctors and physios than needed.

You on the other hand seem to have issues with that failed deal it seems. Well, tough luck, it wasn't to be, but I'm sure that Klopp and Edwards have pinpointed one or two convenient quality players to reinforce our frontline in a telling and intelligent way. It might be Brewster and Wilson for what we know. That would be even better than bringing in a player from abroad for a gazillion.

Plamen

Another season ,another near miss.Fa Cup 2012 final,2013-2014 Premier League,League Cup and Europe League 2016 finals,CL 2018 final and now this year Premier League unless Brighton pulls some miracle.We can't overcome the last hurdle.

Last edited:

Muad

TIA New Signing
There should be a massive party in Liverpool regardless of whether we win anything or not. I mean literally the open-air bus with players and manager on board should roll through town. We should all be celebrating the team we have right now rather than being nervous, worried or depressed about trophies.

RedForever2014

I was going to approve your post until I got to your last line. Allisson for Mignolet? Keita and Fabinho in midfield? Shaqiri as back-up option for the front line?

I think it was a fucking great summer to be fair. I'm not sure what could have be done more, especially when you consider that Fekir was bound to come in too until his fitness concerns came out. It's probably fair enough to say that a fully fit Fekir could have made a difference for us this season, but I can't blame the club for having bailed out at the time. No need to create more work for our doctors and physios than needed.

You on the other hand seem to have issues with that failed deal it seems. Well, tough luck, it wasn't to be, but I'm sure that Klopp and Edwards have pinpointed one or two convenient quality players to reinforce our frontline in a telling and intelligent way. It might be Brewster and Wilson for what we know. That would be even better than bringing in a player from abroad for a gazillion.
If you reread my post I was referring to every time we finished second.

In 2009 and 2014 we finished second but then sold a key player (Alonso and Suarez) and didn't add what we needed, or spent unwisely.

I'm saying that this time, hopefully the club will ensure we go into next season with all our top players and the right players added.

If we don't then we can't expect our top players to stick around.

If the likes of Brewster and Wilson can contribute at the right level next season then they will be welcome additions to the squad.

But we need to be able to rotate the front three more without risking results. It would be a huge gamble to bet on the likes of Wilson and Brewster being able to play regularly in the PL and CL.

We cannot have merely three experienced, peak age, proven, top quality forwards, if we ever want to win anything.

Last edited:

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
If you reread my post I was referring to every time we finished second.

In 2009 and 2014 we finished second but then sold a key player (Alonso and Suarez) and didn't add what we needed, or spent unwisely.

I'm saying that this time, hopefully the club will ensure we go into next season with all our top players and the right players added.

If we don't then we can't expect our top players to stick around.

If the likes of Brewster and Wilson can contribute at the right level next season then they will be welcome additions to the squad.

But we need to be able to rotate the front three more without risking results. It would be a huge gamble to bet on the likes of Wilson and Brewster being able to play regularly in the PL and CL.

We cannot have merely three experienced, peak age, proven, top quality forwards, if we ever want to win anything.
Ah yes sorry, I misread that. Fair enough and I agree with you!

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
Even if we do end trophy-less, it shouldn't detract from what has been one of the better seasons in the club's history.

There's also a far greater sense of permanence about us this time around compared to our previous challenges. Klopp's laying incredibly strong foundations which will inevitably result in trophies. We're not at the end of the line even if we're second/semi finalists come May 12.

The whole "it's a shit season unless you win something" barb which is thrown at Pochettino and Klopp in particular is baseless rubbish, unless you're the type of supporter that only places value in silverware and nothing else (i.e. plastic as fuck).
I would like to think that one day there will be a statue to JK outside Anfield. He won't get that statue as recognition for his teams entertaining and playing great football but remaining serial runners up. I used to expect Liverpool to win trophies but of course now that has evolved from expectation to hope. In sport you do gauge success by the number of trophies you win. If you are Liverpool or Spurs fans I can see that it suits to say trophies are not the be all and end all.

I am not a plastic fan. I was born a Liverpudlian. Of course I take some comfort from the way the team is progressing but that will only last if we build on that and next season actually win something. I guarantee there will be players who will consider that they need to move on to win the trophies they crave if the silverware doesn't come soon.

Last edited:

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
There should be a massive party in Liverpool regardless of whether we win anything or not. I mean literally the open-air bus with players and manager on board should roll through town. We should all be celebrating the team we have right now rather than being nervous, worried or depressed about trophies.
Please no.............That would be ridiculous....Imagine the glee of all the other fans if that happened.

I'm guessing you are not from these parts and so would not have to suffer the taunts of our Evertonian friends, relatives and neighbours.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Please no.............That would be ridiculous....Imagine the glee of all the other fans if that happened.
Indeed - Let's not confuse Success with Progress.

We've progressed on epic levels this season, but we've not had any tangible success. (or we are heading that way..)

RedForever2014

You can't expect to win trophies like the PL or CL, as you can't control what other clubs do in order to improve their own chances.

But you can control what you do to be competitive yourselves.

We have a top manager, we have one of the strongest financial situations of all European clubs without benefactors. We are 90% there in terms of a best 11 and 75% there in terms of the squad.

We should be able to go out there and add what we need.

We do need to add 2, 3 or 4 quality players each summer to be competitive, as well as developing youth. We need to constantly take out those at the bottom of the squad and improve on them.

There remain 4 or 5 legacy players from the pre Klopp era, who through age, level or being injury prone are little use.

We can't only have 14 or 15 regularly usable players as we have just now.

We can't ruin the careers of top players by overplaying them because there's nobody to rotate them with.

We have to honour the likes of Alisson and VVD being prepared to come to LFC, by constantly building so that they have a real chance of success with us.

If you never win anything then in the end you struggle to keep top players and to attract them.

We're currently attractive due to what the football world expects us to achieve on the current trajectory, but to actually make good on that expectation we have to go to the next level.

Klopp talks about players seeing LFC as a final destination. That will only ever truly be the case if the club wins trophies.

If LFC can see the issues, and genuinely wants to develop and remain competitive, which it should be doing even if we win something, this summer should see a further significant net investment in the squad.

LFCFFC

I would like to think that one day there will be a statue to JK outside Anfield. He won't get that statue as recognition for his teams entertaining and playing great football but remaining serial runners up. I used to expect Liverpool to win trophies but of course now that has evolved from expectation to hope. In sport you do gauge success by the number of trophies you win. If you are Liverpool or Spurs fans I can see that it suits to say trophies are not the be all and end all.

I am not a plastic fan. I was born a Liverpudlian. Of course I take some comfort from the way the team is progressing but that will only last if we build on that and next season actually win something. I guarantee there will be players who will consider that they need to move on to win the trophies they crave if the silverware doesn't come soon.
I tend to agree agree. I deliberately avoided using the term "success" because that is ultimately decided by trophies. Football is cruel at the best of times, but it's looking particularly gut wrenching right about now.

This season is especially unique in how it should be viewed. If we win on Sunday, we'll have accrued more points in a single season than any other PL team in the history of the competition bar Manchester City in 17-18 and (probably) 18-19. It's utterly absurd that we (probably) won't win the title this year and our appraisal of our season should be given with that in mind.
My overall point is that it's way too simplistic in this particular instance to boil it down to "no trophy = failed season", which I'm sure many opposition fans (particularly Chelsea or Arsenal should they win the EL) will do anyway. For me, this season is an oddity because it's stuck in an awkward no-man's land between progression and success. We did everything that every other title winning team has done in the past 29 years, and yet we may come up short.

All of those platitudes disappear in August though, and next season will be pivotal. We simply have to go one better on at least one front either domestically or in Europe.

Yeah also dear god no to the idea of an open top bus. Just like touching the Anfield sign, we need to win something to earn that. I doubt the players would want it either.

Last edited:

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
You can't expect to win trophies like the PL or CL, as you can't control what other clubs do in order to improve their own chances.

But you can control what you do to be competitive yourselves.

We have a top manager, we have one of the strongest financial situations of all European clubs without benefactors. We are 90% there in terms of a best 11 and 75% there in terms of the squad.

We should be able to go out there and add what we need.

We do need to add 2, 3 or 4 quality players each summer to be competitive, as well as developing youth. We need to constantly take out those at the bottom of the squad and improve on them.

There remain 4 or 5 legacy players from the pre Klopp era, who through age, level or being injury prone are little use.

We can't only have 14 or 15 regularly usable players as we have just now.

We can't ruin the careers of top players by overplaying them because there's nobody to rotate them with.

We have to honour the likes of Alisson and VVD being prepared to come to LFC, by constantly building so that they have a real chance of success with us.

If you never win anything then in the end you struggle to keep top players and to attract them.

We're currently attractive due to what the football world expects us to achieve on the current trajectory, but to actually make good on that expectation we have to go to the next level.

Klopp talks about players seeing LFC as a final destination. That will only ever truly be the case if the club wins trophies.

If LFC can see the issues, and genuinely wants to develop and remain competitive, which it should be doing even if we win something, this summer should see a further significant net investment in the squad.

I totally agree with what your saying in this post,but your previous one and the majority of your others,you come at it from the angle that we aren't trying hard enough or spending enough,plus judging us from things that have happened years ago.

I'm sure FSG have learned from past mistakes,you only need to look at whats gone on since they've come into the game as football novice's,to whats gone on within the club since Klopp took over.

Players leaving when we've finished second,players leaving because we didn't win a trophy,(South American and Spanish players leaving for Madrid/Barca),club not buying the right players once they've left.Thats the past,circumstances have totally changed,it's night and day,we as a club were in a totally different position back then,bad owners and poor management with no real plan on how to run the club properly,other than to milk it dry,how you can come to that conclusion at this stage of the season and the position we are in now baffles me.

All the top players we have right now are signed to long term contracts,all want to play for eachother,the club and the manager,we are coming to the real start of this long term plan,where we now have the bulk of the players in the first team,the foundations are all set for the coming seasons,we are challenging for the Prem,we are back to being one of the top teams in Europe in the CL.

I don't see any of our top players queing up to leave if we win nothing atm (after a few more years then yeah maybe) but not right now.They'll know we have money to spend,top players around the world will want to play in this team and under Klopp,knowing all that and being on the verge of something special they've worked hard to achieve,i just don't see them wanting to walk away and start all over again somewhere else.

I guess what i'm saying and have done in most of my replies to you is,this is a long term plan that takes time to achieve,you come across as seeing issues that are there (and we all see them) but you don't give the relevant amount of time for the club to right them.Just like your squad depth issues and players needed right now to rotate our main stars,we were still building our first 11 during the summer and didn't have the time or money to solve those problems,it's like your one step ahead of the programe and knocking us for it.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
I'm not accepting this is over, until it actually is.
But, I genuinely felt worse at the end of last night's game than I did a week ago in the Nou Camp.

igor_piss_can

Hahaha lad, imagine. Should ask Everton if we could borrow their cuckoo clock & parade that down Queens Drive like it's 2005 again

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
Are we going to be a team of destiny, a team falling at the last hurdle, or a little of both?

The squad is depleted, yet we keep on delivering game after game. Two finals, we need to deliver again, and need a little help with one of them. I stayed in Brighton for a while, about 25 years ago, enjoyed my time there and yet I will remember it more fondly if they can help deliver a dream.

Danny_

Wyrd bið fūl aræd. Liverpool 4 - Barcelona 0.

Once again, the 3 spinners, the hags who sit at the root of the tree of life and weave all our fates, were laughing at us all the time. They had the shears out and it seemed like they were cutting our thread but it was all another feint, an illusion to see us soar and utterly crush Barcelona. Cruel fate that sees us lose in the final or the miracle that will see us ride all the way to success? Only they know how it ends. We are still fighting on. Fate is inexorable!