• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Your thoughts on the season to come - Prediction time

RedForever2014

Not sure where to post this, so here will do.

Four English clubs in the two finals. I bet UEFA are having kittens. Two notable absences from the top 6, the Manchester clubs.

It would be hilarious if UEFA vented their anger by actually banning Man City for FFP breaches.

Plamen

We lost only once this season,won 30 matches out of 38 and we still didn't win the title.I can't believe it.But at least we have CL final to look for.

lfc.8

Really should have won the league. Margins so fine. Disappointing to say the least. Need to make sure we win the Champions League now.

Incognito

The Normal One
We win one and the floodgates will open. Just need to get the monkey off the shoulders. We are almost there. Next decade would be incredible for us.

The sleeping lion has awaken and it shall not be moved!

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Yes I'm going to do this again. It was 18 mins into the game. If that had been in the 5th minute of 5 additional minutes past 90 they might have a point. If that was scored at 18 minutes, would City have scored less/more than 2 goals? Would Liverpool have scored more than 1 or have scored a reply on 64'?

As with the ridiculous referee decisions article last season, I really struggle to see how supposed professionals can just throw a goal in randomly and think it will neither affect the individual match nor every match after it. Think about the City BHA game on the weekend. City replied a single minute after Brighton scored. Then they scored another soon after. Had Brighton not scored, would the result still have been a 1-4 victory or was it because the home team scored first? Who knows?

Let's just say that the flawed logic of the above BBC article played out as they suggested and it was a draw or win to us. Can we even, lock in every other subsequent win we had in reality as if the added pressure of being true frontrunners with 30 years of history weighing on us made no difference? Impossible to tell. Maybe taking something from the emptyhad would have broken City and they would have dropped more points? It's just guesswork though.

Is all just guesswork that BBC are trying to sell as fact. Locking in another goal in a game played in January and marking it down as fact that not only that game played out exactly the same score-wise, but every other game for both teams across the remainder of the season, is grade-A baloney. Just like the refereeing article last season.

Now if you are clinging onto this article as a coping mechanism to get you through to the CL final that hopefully has a happier ending, then I sincerely apologize for raining on your parade. But that's all this article can and should be used for. To make us feel better about getting pipped by 1 point.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Yes I'm going to do this again. It was 18 mins into the game. If that had been in the 5th minute of 5 additional minutes past 90 they might have a point. If that was scored at 18 minutes, would City have scored less/more than 2 goals? Would Liverpool have scored more than 1 or have scored a reply on 64'?

As with the ridiculous referee decisions article last season, I really struggle to see how supposed professionals can just throw a goal in randomly and think it will neither affect the individual match nor every match after it. Think about the City BHA game on the weekend. City replied a single minute after Brighton scored. Then they scored another soon after. Had Brighton not scored, would the result still have been a 1-4 victory or was it because the home team scored first? Who knows?

Let's just say that the flawed logic of the above BBC article played out as they suggested and it was a draw or win to us. Can we even, lock in every other subsequent win we had in reality as if the added pressure of being true frontrunners with 30 years of history weighing on us made no difference? Impossible to tell. Maybe taking something from the emptyhad would have broken City and they would have dropped more points? It's just guesswork though.

Is all just guesswork that BBC are trying to sell as fact. Locking in another goal in a game played in January and marking it down as fact that not only that game played out exactly the same score-wise, but every other game for both teams across the remainder of the season, is grade-A baloney. Just like the refereeing article last season.

Now if you are clinging onto this article as a coping mechanism to get you through to the CL final that hopefully has a happier ending, then I sincerely apologize for raining on your parade. But that's all this article can and should be used for. To make us feel better about getting pipped by 1 point.
Of course you're right. Football is chaos and the butterfly effect applies. Impossible to say how a game would have turned out had one incident gone the other way.

The relevance of the Stones clearance for me is what a psychological blow it was. When it happened I was celebrating it as a goal but when I realised it hadn't gone in my next reaction was that we probably weren't going to win that game and we might not go on to win the league. You can tell me it's irrational and illogical to feel that way and you're completely right but it just seemed unbelievable that it hadn't gone in. 11mms short of crossing the line and the ball is cleared perfectly through the legs of Salah. In such a massive game, where the margins are always going to be tiny between winning, drawing and losing. After going through 29 years without winning the title and quite a long time without winning anything at all these things do get into your head and, for me, the defeat at the Etihad was the most crucial result of the whole season.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Of course you're right. Football is chaos and the butterfly effect applies. Impossible to say how a game would have turned out had one incident gone the other way.

The relevance of the Stones clearance for me is what a psychological blow it was. When it happened I was celebrating it as a goal but when I realised it hadn't gone in my next reaction was that we probably weren't going to win that game and we might not go on to win the league. You can tell me it's irrational and illogical to feel that way and you're completely right but it just seemed unbelievable that it hadn't gone in. 11mms short of crossing the line and the ball is cleared perfectly through the legs of Salah. In such a massive game, where the margins are always going to be tiny between winning, drawing and losing. After going through 29 years without winning the title and quite a long time without winning anything at all these things do get into your head and, for me, the defeat at the Etihad was the most crucial result of the whole season.
I'm going to be honest and didnt think City had a chance in hell of getting maximum points for the season after that game (it was wasn't it?) so at the time I didnt actually see the game as being as crucial as clearly many on here saw it. I was expecting a few more opportunities for us to push further in front.

When you are talking about a psychological blow, are you referring to the fans or the players (either side)? I wouldn't have thought it would be a blow to our players as it was only 18 minutes in so from their perspective they would have expected many more chances in the game. My memory of the game also is that City absolutely dominated the early game and that shot on goal came out of the blue. Heck I would even go so far as to say that City dominated both legs. If a non-football fan was to judge the season head-to-head from just those two games I doubt that many would have bet against City. For me there is no shame in saying that.

Say what you like about whether they are cheating off the field but City the team (rather than club) won the league rather than us losing it. Deserved champions imo. For me it actually eases the pain somewhat by saying that. Just fucking sucks that we put in such an extraordinary, consistent shift when they did.

Last edited:

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Say what you like about whether they are cheating off the field but City the team (rather than club) won the league rather than us losing it. Deserved champions imo. For me it actually eases the pain somewhat by saying that. Just fucking sucks that we put in such an extraordinary, consistent shift when they did.

One in the same,the team ISN'T that team unless the club cheat,you can't honourably seperate them and say they did exceptionally well and deserved to win the title,that team only comes about from constantly overspending money on it that the club doesn't rightly earn,where every other club they are competing against are playing by the rules.

The thing i'm happy about in this whole scenario (even though i'm gutted we didn't win the title) is how amazing FSG have run the club and the team has played all season,competed with Man Cheaty and pushed them to the last game of the season,even though our squad is slightly weaker in comparisson.

I wouldn't want LFC to go down the route they have to gain a hollow win and be investigated and be possibly banned from europe to achieve success.

Perth Red

Rolling with crocs in Darwin
The Man City team, Manager etc... did produce a fantastic season, surely that can't be denied. How they have built the team and continue to fund it etc... and who their owners are is a completely different conversation. Admire their brilliance on the park, hate everything else!

LeoT

97 points in one season is amazing.
If a team gets more points than that then they probably deserve to win the title ...Congratulations.

Glad this season remained competitive to the end and didn't descend into a Klopp vs Pep dung fight, like it used to with Wenger/Mourenho/Fergie/Raffa.

The Bitters are the other lot form the other side of Stanley park, unlike them, we win and lose with grace.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
The Man City team, Manager etc... did produce a fantastic season, surely that can't be denied. How they have built the team and continue to fund it etc... and who their owners are is a completely different conversation. Admire their brilliance on the park, hate everything else!
I don’t know how you can separate the two.

It’s like saying I know Lance Armstrong took loads of performance enhancing drugs, but you can still admire what he did on a bike

Perth Red

Rolling with crocs in Darwin

It’s like saying I know Lance Armstrong took loads of performance enhancing drugs, but you can still admire what he did on a bike
Not at all. The players on the park performed, they aren't the ones who manipulated (allegedly) the rules.

Would you, by the same token, associate Gerrard and Carragher with the business dealings of Hick and Gillett? Of course not.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.

What he did on a bike was extraordinary.

Lance cheated but was competing against cheaters, it was an even playing field. The same isn't true for City.

Mousecat

the defeat at the Etihad was the most crucial result of the whole season.

There's absolutely no doubt it was. It galvanised city with the belief that they were still the best team in the league. going into that match their was a feeling that they were a bit scared of us at that point, and the atmosphere in the stadium in the early stages when we attacked them confirmed it. We expected and prepared for a storm that never came, and didn't take the game to them when we had the chance. It's a shame, but next season these have to be the games we win.

Imgoingred

TIA Reserve Team
Great season so far. Potential to be one of the best. Regarding the league - I did not expect to take it so close with 97 points, so hats off to everyone involved for a brilliant league campaign. Can't say the same for City. Everyone knows they're breaking the rules but won't openly admit it. It's why no one cares about their treble and it's why they're so obsessed with us because we're doing it the right way.

As for next season, we now know the games against City will be pivotal and that we actually don't have any room to drop points unexpectedly to opposition we ought to be beating. Both teams are capable of a dozen wins in a row. We'll have 38 cup finals next year.

cynicaloldgit

Offside by an armpit
Ad-free Member
So you don't think we have a chance in the domestic cups?

Pessimist.
Nah: we’ll draw be given Man City away in the FA Cup and get robbed in the match itself; while we’ll play the kids in the Carabao Cup and they’ll get kicked off the park by Stoke or similar.

Cynic.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Nah: we’ll draw be given Man City away in the FA Cup and get robbed in the match itself; while we’ll play the kids in the Carabao Cup and they’ll get kicked off the park by Stoke or similar.

Cynic.
Fully expecting City to get my lads village team in the third round of the FA Cup. Aldershot Ladies in the fourth round, and those old lads off Father Ted in the quarters