• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Youth players you got way too hyped for

PeachesEnRegalia

No Offense, @Maria....
Simple really, who are some youth players that you thought were gonna be the next big thing, but never materialized? I'll start with a couple of obvious ones:

Astrit Adjarevic - I remember all the hype surrounding this kid, how we had beaten a host of other top clubs to him and he was gonna be the next big thing. I'm not sure we ever saw him get a run out with the first team, did we? I held on to hope for ages that he'd come good. Never happened.

Kristian Nemeth - Not as much hype when we first brought him in, but he was always seen as a top prospect who was just about to make the leap to the first team. I remember way back when Sky Sports used to run these scouting articles on top prospects in each teams youth system, and they ran one on Nemeth. The article said at the time that he was already Hungary's best player, and would be worth 20M in just a year or two (that was a lot of money back then). How wrong they were.

Anyone else got any others? Ibe is probably worth a shout, though he at least broke into the first team for a while.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
Gotta be Danny Pacheco for me.

Taught me a huge lesson to be more realistic about youth players 'making it'.

Torres taught me not to get too attached to players, Pacheco taught me to not to overhype.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Emiliano Insua - although he did okay.

Jay Spearing - esp as he's a local lad

Neil Mellor - scored that goal against Arsenal, but unfortunately it didn't go quite as well as planned after.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
This thread has my name written all over it, unfortunately... Nemeth, Pacheco, Insua, Dalla Valle, Francisco Duran, Robinson, Kelly, McLaughlin, but more than anyone else, Jack Dunn.

I also said once that if none of Sterling, Ibe, Ojo and Kent (Wilson might have been in Ojo's place but I can't quite remember) make it at Liverpool, they should close down the academy... Not my best moment.

Oh and Ramon Calliste. We signed him from manure when his contract expired. The name, the apparent next Giggs, signing him from a rival and so on. Turned out to be useless in football

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Weren't both were too slow/not dynamic enough?

Aspas and Alberto aswell.
Not really youth players though.

Also young Sebastian Leto was night rated but couldn't get a work visa and was loaned out for a couple of seasons to try get one and was eventually sold off

Edit
Seen you just mentioned him above . think we bought him in January but didn't join till The summer window when he was 18.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Gotta be Danny Pacheco for me.

Taught me a huge lesson to be more realistic about youth players 'making it'.

Torres taught me not to get too attached to players, Pacheco taught me to not to overhype.
Pacheco was the first name in my mind as well, I even became a bit of a running gag on another forum I was posting on at the time because I hyped him up so much :((

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Basically them all. lol I’m a sucker for overhyping youth players

But Suso was the one. I thought we had something special. He has gone on to play at a high level though, so maybe that says more about us than him.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad

But Suso was the one. I thought we had something special. He has gone on to play at a high level though, so maybe that says more about us than him.

Not cut out for England was he? Slower pace in Italy suits him. Nice player though.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member

Suso was an odd one, he clearly had talent but didn't really play a position we utilised at the time (or even now). With more pace he might have been able to get a shot on the wing, but as it is despite the fact he has talent and is doing well it's not one I really kick myself over us losing out on.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
That’s probably the sum of it. Wonderful footballer, but very delicate with it.
Yep, he's a class player. Just the hustle and bustle of the EPL doesn't allow him to demonstrate his class. Much like Alberto. Then you have David Silva who prospers, so maybe they aren't quite as good as we think?!