• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Youth players you got way too hyped for

[email protected]

Okay, can somebody please put me out of my misery and tell me what happened here?
Nvm. Ended up down the rabbit hole and now wondering how to *nix my phone so that it can teach me to play the guitar impressively enough to convince certain light skinned Brazilian girls north of Sao Paulo to show me if they're light skinned everywhere and so armed with this new confidence while I have it, I am now seriously contemplating touring Asia in search of 100% natural beauties who are apparently like qua easy to hook up with. Might open up a tattoo parlour for extra quick cash though. :eh?:

Anyway, and what about that next Gerrard lad hey? Completely forgot his name? John.... John....? Something. Mate was on about him and got me on the bandwagon. Then Suso, Pacheco, Ilori. Also liked Kevin aka Stewie. Real qua'd about him, I was.

Red over the water

Anthony Le Tallent and Florent Cinema Popcorn.

I really thought they would become great players for us. In fact, I still half want to make the case that had a Le Tallec shot gone in against Arsenal, instead of just missing the top corner by inches, he would have settled in the side and swept all before him.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Nvm. Ended up down the rabbit hole and now wondering how to *nix my phone so that it can teach me to play the guitar impressively enough to convince certain light skinned Brazilian girls north of Sao Paulo to show me if they're light skinned everywhere and so armed with this new confidence while I have it, I am now seriously contemplating touring Asia in search of 100% natural beauties who are apparently like qua easy to hook up with. Might open up a tattoo parlour for extra quick cash though. :eh?:

Anyway, and what about that next Gerrard lad hey? Completely forgot his name? John.... John....? Something. Mate was on about him and got me on the bandwagon. Then Suso, Pacheco, Ilori. Also liked Kevin aka Stewie. Real qua'd about him, I was.
John Welsh. I had to google the 2003-4 squad. I'm pretty sure that's the guy. I was trying to remember his name as well. He was great in early versions of football manager.

Edit: they ended up trading him for Paul Anderson, in a very American style deal, another one mentioned in this thread.

PeachesEnRegalia

No Offense, @Maria....
Nobody has mentioned the Scouse terrier that was Jay Spearing.

Never rated him but some posters considered him to be the second coming of Mascherano :think:
No-one ever really thought much about Spearing before he came into the first team. Even then most could see he was a severely limited player.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Ibe, Suso, Insua. Brannagan and Chirivella also; didn't think they would be regular first team players, but I thought they could be useful players to have around. Or maybe hoped rather than thought..

Edit: And obviously Tiago Ilori. How could I forget.

Limiescouse

Have to name Mikel San José and still think it was a mistake to let him go.
He is a great example of why the dodged bullet and one that got away discussions are so difficult, borderline unfair. He had talent. He wouldnt have been here in the first place if he didnt. However, emotionally/psychologically he needed to go home. There is always a sliding doors element to consider, but I think in this case we can pretty much conceed that keeping him here wouldnt have worked well for him. Hell, he might have ended up more like Michael Johnson than a Spanish International.

Limiescouse

Ibe, Suso, Insua. Brannagan and Chirivella also; didn't think they would be regular first team players, but I thought they could be useful players to have around. Or maybe hoped rather than thought..

Edit: And obviously Tiago Ilori. How could I forget.
He is one of the handful of young players I came to actively dislike for no fault of his. Its one thing to have to deal with your own team disappointing you week after week. It is another then be subjected to such unrealistic "solutions" everytime you try and read something about your club. The calls for him to be drafted into the first team to solve our problems became incessant and were always nonsense. Yet a core group just couldnt let go of it. When you;re not playing well your most important player is very often the guy who didnt get on the pitch...the guy the manager doesnt have faith in, or the balls to blood. I actually came to resent Ilori for it. Richie Partridge was the same 10 years prior.

Last edited:

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Dani Pacheco.

But here’s the while he’s still playing, I refuse to let go of hope....( not the forumite, either)...

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Ritchie Partridge breaking through (although he never did!) must have been before most people had internet at home. So what was it, crazy articles in the Echo, glowing reports from Reserve games?

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
He is one of the handful of young players I came to actively dislike for no fault of his. Its one thing to have to deal with your own team disappointing you week after week. It is another then be subjected to such unrealistic "solutions" everytime you try and read something about your club. The calls for him to be drafted into the first team to solve our problems became incessant and were always nonsense. Yet a core group just couldnt let go of it. When you;re not playing well your most important player is very often the guy who didnt get on the pitch...the guy the manager doesnt have faith in, or the balls to blood. I actually came to resent Ilori for it. Richie Partridge was the same 10 years prior.
Haha, I think I might have been one of those who made you dislike him. I was fairly patient and supportive through most of the 14/15 season and to a lesser degree the post-season (Stoke burned me out), but I seem to remember reaching a breaking point where I just wanted BR to commit to something. And I'm pretty sure Ilori was part of my solution..

PeachesEnRegalia

No Offense, @Maria....
Coates is another great shout. I was a regular on a Seattle Seahawks message board at the time, and a French dude on there wrote a huge post praising Liverpool for signing up Coates, saying how much of a beast he was and was gonna dominate the PL for years.

I was walking on air for a few weeks after that, thinking we'd landed a fucking gem on the cheap. Load of bollocks.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Loads, I always like to talk up young players. I'm sure they read forums and I'd hate to see kids getting downhearted with the stuff they read.

Pacheco was a victim of his time, really. We hadn't had a good attacking player through the academy for a while and we were all desperate to see him succeed, and the fact he was such a vocal fan helped too. In hindsight it is easy to see his limitations.

Lauri Dalla Valle was fantastic in the u18s and resembled Torres a bit, but never made the step up. IIRC he's a photographer these days, perhaps suggesting that he didn't have the drive to make it in football.

Gerardo Bruna came in with a decent reputation but was absolutely shite, very rarely did anything of note. Chirivella came in with an amazing rep but never really looked liked it was deserved despite being a decent player. Masterson was similar.

In recent years the one I was disappointed to see leave was Brannagan. Classy type of midfielder who worked hard and had a decent amount of talent. Now appears to be doing well at Oxford.

Suso has gone on to be a decent player so I wouldn't say he was overhyped at all.

Ibe should be a much better player than he is but he hasn't developed any game intelligence or confidence to match his natural attributes. Brad Smith is in a similar boat there.

Kelly would still be a Liverpool player if he had a body that didn't fail him IMO.

Pacheco. Saw him come in late at Fulham and played a corker of a through ball that led to a penalty and a last minute winner. I was a believer from then on.
That was Joao Carlos Teixeira wasn't it? Gerrard was raving about him later on. Another classy player who didn't quite make the cut.

Last edited:

Zinedine Biscan

Kylian me softly...
Ad-free Member
Coates is another great shout. I was a regular on a Seattle Seahawks message board at the time, and a French dude on there wrote a huge post praising Liverpool for signing up Coates, saying how much of a beast he was and was gonna dominate the PL for years.

I was walking on air for a few weeks after that, thinking we'd landed a fucking gem on the cheap. Load of bollocks.
Not relevant for this thread, but related to the above, I remember being at my brother-in-law's wedding about 15 years ago, and his cousin, who lived in Spain and watched loads of Madrid games, was raving about one of their players that we'd just picked up, it all sounded very exciting.

The player?

Antonio Nunez.

The moral of this story is there's a lot of idiots out there lol

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Shoutout to Andras Simon, Jordy Brouwer and Vitor Flora for being utterly hopeless as well. It's astonishing to think how much better the academy is run now.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Shoutout to Andras Simon, Jordy Brouwer and Vitor Flora for being utterly hopeless as well. It's astonishing to think how much better the academy is run now.
I think only Simon came in with a purpose - to keep Nemeth company. The latter two, I don't know what was the point of them. Like Bebe to Man United, only much cheaper and at academy level.

Completely forgot Chirivella, Teiexeira and Ilori, I had huge hopes for them, all of them came in for substantial fees with regards to their squad status and age.

Sweeting

I remember Brouwer being signed and Ajax's academy director (or someone similar) candidly saying "I don't know why they have signed him". I've never been able to find the quote again but suffice to say the guy had a point.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
That was from the Piet Hamberg era.

Plus that bunch of kids from Hungary. Patrik Poor and the likes. Oh dear.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Mark Kennedy and Darren Potter at the time was really hoping for an Irish player to break through.
Adekanye had been at Ajax and Barca an they were desperate to sign but couldn't due to regulation so had high hopes for him.

Flobs

FADA
I've seen Spearing mentionned a few times. My thoughts on him are more favorable. Regarding his tecnical ability and passing he never looked like he would make the 1st team yet he did because what he did he did very well. Winning the ball up high and laying it off, traccking back and generally being a pain in the arse to the opposition as well as being tireless (much better than Scholes at this). He filled a gap we needed filling yet it was obvious once we got a more technical midfielder his days were numbered. He wasn't a top 6 EPL midfielder however I am sure where ever he is now (Blackpool) he is a valued player.
I think we can be proud of him.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Here are some of his genuine quotes about Stewart...

Reader: A year later we swapped him plus £4m for a relatively unheralded LB who'd just been relegated with Hull.
There are some pearls in that thread... I picked out one among many others:
You know, I was just thinking that. It's been quite a while since I've felt this low as a Liverpool supporter, despite us being in a cup final. I'd say its probably the most pessimistic I've been since the Hodgson/Hicks/Gillette days. Between the ticket pricing fiasco, shitting the bed against Sunderland (FFS), now out of the domestic cup that actually matters in heartbreaking fashion - couple that with the way the team is performing, sitting bang mid table and struggling for form and goals - I wish I had the absolute faith that Klopp can turn all this around, but just can't summon the optimism. Look up and down the squad and see so many pretenders, just the work of replacing them is gargantuan. And while Klopp has been heralded as a saviour, I've seen quite a few top managers come to the league and be unable to adapt, and worry he could be one. And even if he does adapt, the dysfunctional structure above him is still in place.

Ugh.
Hindsight makes this a great reading...

Last edited:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Oh god I feel like this thread is a personal attack on me! I'm as guilty as anyone can be. So much so that I think I've got a A side to have a friendly against a B side for the "what could have been cup"

Side A (442 diamond); Martin Hansen; Ryan McLaughlin, Andre Wisdom, Martin Kelly, Jack Robinson; Jay Spearing, Jonjo Shelvey, Dan Trickett Smith, Dani Pacheco; Adam Morgan, Jerome Sinclair.

Side B (4231): Dean Bouzanis; Jon Flanagan, Sebastian Coates, Tiago Ilori, Brad Smith; Jordan Rossiter, Pedro Chrivella; Tom Ince, Jack Dunn, Toni Silva; Lauri Dalla Valle.

I feel like I'm not even seeing the tip of the iceberg here but legit thought these would all make it.

Edit; Actually I've just edited to take Suso out. Don't consider hyped youth players that have had top level careers in this as in a way people were right to hype up Coady, Suso and others, just because they didn't make it with us doesn't make people wrong to have rated them as top level talents. So there! Haha.

Last edited:

Zinedine Biscan

Kylian me softly...
Ad-free Member
Oh god I feel like this thread is a personal attack on me! I'm as guilty as anyone can be. So much so that I think I've got a A side to have a friendly against a B side for the "what could have been cup"

Side A (442 diamond); Martin Hansen; Ryan McLaughlin, Andre Wisdom, Martin Kelly, Jack Robinson; Jay Spearing, Jonjo Shelvey, Dan Trickett Smith, Dani Pacheco; Adam Morgan, Jerome Sinclair.

Side B (4231): Dean Bouzanis; Jon Flanagan, Sebastian Coates, Tiago Ilori, Brad Smith; Jordan Rossiter, Pedro Chrivella; Tom Ince, Jack Dunn, Toni Silva; Lauri Dalla Valle.

I feel like I'm not even seeing the tip of the iceberg here but legit thought these would all make it.

Edit; Actually I've just edited to take Suso out. Don't consider hyped youth players that have had top level careers in this as in a way people were right to hype up Coady, Suso and others, just because they didn't make it with us doesn't make people wrong to have rated them as top level talents. So there! Haha.
First thought when I saw you post in this thread was Ince... that was a fun summer lol