• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Youth players you got way too hyped for

Herb

Jack Robinson after his debut at Arsenal. People were calling him in the next Ashley Cole after that game. Not sure if that was the day Flanagan played as well but wouldn’t have guessed he’d have had the better LFC career of the two.

Insua was another one I hoped would have been a world beater. Did alright with us and played a fair few games but was never anything more than a solid 6/10 player.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
I feel like Adam Lewis' name will end up on this list...
Just hope Brewster's doesn't.

Limiting this to youth players and not fully grown 20 somethings that we bought from other clubs, then the two I thought would really make it with us have to be Suso and Pacheco. Glad to see that Suso has since carved out a good career for himself.

[email protected]

Ah, either way I remember some 'interesting' debates regarding Ince Jr lol
Wasnt contradicting. I am also remembering talk of him that summer window I think but thats all lost in the noise of Dempsey, for me at least lol. What an indication of the disjointed way we went about things. Light years apart now.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
A couple of others I thought might at least make squad player status, Stephen Wright, David Raven... I remember Michael Ngoo had a pretty good loan spell in Scotland and I wondered if he might get some games when he came back. Seems to be playing in the B team for some Albanian club these days.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
A couple of others I thought might at least make squad player status, Stephen Wright, David Raven... I remember Michael Ngoo had a pretty good loan spell in Scotland and I wondered if he might get some games when he came back. Seems to be playing in the B team for some Albanian club these days.
Bloody hell, David Raven is a proper shout and a blast from the past. He was one of the first youth players I ever came across when I first discovered the official forum when it was still free.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
Yes your right. Albanian second division side. That’s one hell of a fall from playing for Liverpool.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Laurie della vele ( ignore the typo)
Thought that kid would replace Torres, ended as a part of exchange deal for konchesky? Think he has hung up his boots now!!

Another player I was excited about was Martin Kelly, I remember him doing very well against lyon, but lots of injuries screwed up his career.

kopend79

I honestly can't remeber how the Dani Pacheco hype started. Did he have a huge junior tournament?
Brilliant cameo off the bench?
Im asking seriously because i was totally on the hype train but i cant remember why.

Limiescouse

He was the next Cesc...a highly rated player from the Barca academy they didnt want to let go. He looked head and shoulders better than the youth he was playing with when he first arrived which really solidified the idea that he we had got a gem. Just didnt happen for him though.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
I honestly can't remeber how the Dani Pacheco hype started. Did he have a huge junior tournament?
Im asking seriously because i was totally on the hype train but i cant remember why.
I think it was around the time when English clubs started taking the big talents from Spanish clubs. Fabregas and Pique went, and then Barca apparently were fuming when we took Pacheco. Seem to remember that's where some of the hype came from.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
I was also always convinced that any young goalkeeper would break through and lock down the position for a decade; Carson, Kirkland, Gulacsi, Ward etc.

I know most of them were not from the youth team, but as soon as they made it to the bench that was it for me, guaranteed to be superstars.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
He was the next Cesc...a highly rated player from the Barca academy they didnt want to let go. He looked head and shoulders better than the youth he was playing with when he first arrived which really solidified the idea that he we had got a gem. Just didnt happen for him though.
I'm pretty sure he also had a good U19 or U21 tournament at some point as well which saw the hype build.

Sweeting

Laurie della vele ( ignore the typo)
Thought that kid would replace Torres, ended as a part of exchange deal for konchesky? Think he has hung up his boots now!!

Another player I was excited about was Martin Kelly, I remember him doing very well against lyon, but lots of injuries screwed up his career.
Apparently he is a photographer now

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad

Most probably because we got him from Barca.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
First time I hear Dalla Valle and Torres in the same sentence. Goals (when Torres was here at the time), blonde hair and... that's it? Wikipedia probably made it up, no wonder eh. How much shit gets accepted through that site. If I'm correct, I actually think he was said to be the "new Fowler" with his finishing and being left-footed. Remember him coming off the bench at Rabotnicki when Roy also gave David Amoo his debut.

Sweeting

He was by far the best attacking prospect we had had in the Academy for years. He was also a perfect fit for a more 'tiki-taka' system which Barcelona were employing at the time and winning everything with.

Undoubtedly they are mentioned in this thread but we had some really decent defensive prospects in 09/10.

Peter Gulacsi: Top rated GK in the Bundesliga last season
Martin Kelly: Solid PL RB/CB after terrible injuries
Jack Robinson: Solid Championship LB after terrible injuries
Stephen Darby: Captain, League One RB now retired in the most tragic way
Mikel San Jose: Spain international, long time starter and stand out for Athletic Bilbao

I think that had we had a more youth focused manager then the likes of Kelly (if, in this hypothetical, he didn't suffer the injuries) and Robinson would have settled into the first team squad.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
He was by far the best attacking prospect we had had in the Academy for years. He was also a perfect fit for a more 'tiki-taka' system which Barcelona were employing at the time and winning everything with.

Undoubtedly they are mentioned in this thread but we had some really decent defensive prospects in 09/10.

Peter Gulacsi: Top rated GK in the Bundesliga last season
Martin Kelly: Solid PL RB/CB after terrible injuries
Jack Robinson: Solid Championship LB after terrible injuries
Stephen Darby: Captain, League One RB now retired in the most tragic way
Mikel San Jose: Spain international, long time starter and stand out for Athletic Bilbao

I think that had we had a more youth focused manager then the likes of Kelly (if, in this hypothetical, he didn't suffer the injuries) and Robinson would have settled into the first team squad.
1. Gulasci was top rated GK in Germany last year????
2. If Kelly and Robinson stayed fit, I think they probably would have made it regardless of manager, kelly especially.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
1. Gulasci was top rated GK in Germany last year????
2. If Kelly and Robinson stayed fit, I think they probably would have made it regardless of manager, kelly especially.
It's been such a shame with Kelly. Hardly been injured since leaving. Ended up with managers who keep playing him at full back because he can play football so they don't want to risk him at CB. I actually think he still COULD be good enough to be a ball playing CB squad player at a bigger club.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Gulacsi's been regular for a good few years now. You saw sings that he could be decent one day. But it's very difficult for a young GK to break through here. The first team's level, GK being a key and specific position, the level of the reserves/U23's. So you're either a really top talent (most probably a bought one) or get that experience through a few loans. But even then, it's a tough task.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Gulacsi was the best keeper I've seen for us at reserve level. I think Grabara might end up at a similar level.

Rafa called Dean Bouzanis the best keeper in the world for his age but he never lived up to that.

Martin Hansen was one that was rubbish but managed to forge a decentish career.

Sweeting

Gulacsi was the best keeper I've seen for us at reserve level. I think Grabara might end up at a similar level.

Rafa called Dean Bouzanis the best keeper in the world for his age but he never lived up to that.

Martin Hansen was one that was rubbish but managed to forge a decentish career.
Ryan Fulton was miles ahead of any one else at U18 level but the moment he tried to step up a level he just couldn't do it