• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Youth players you got way too hyped for

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
There was a young kid, probably over 20 years ago, local liverpool lad. He was ultra hyped, and then just dropped off the radar, dont even think he made it to the u18's. I wish I could remember his name.

cynicaloldgit

Green, not greed
Ad-free Member
There was a young kid, probably over 20 years ago, local liverpool lad. He was ultra hyped, and then just dropped off the radar, dont even think he made it to the u18's. I wish I could remember his name.
You’re not thinking of the old Jonjo Kenny, perchance? He was well hyped but did nothing.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
You’re not thinking of the old Jonjo Kenny, perchance? He was well hyped but did nothing.
No, I do t think this kid made it as a professional footballer. To be honest I dont know why he dropped off the radar. I seem to remember that it was a personal choice not to follow that career path. I cant even Google it as the info I remember was so vague.

I think it might have been around the time Fowler was at his peak, which would have put him as much as 15 years Fowlers junior.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
I had high hopes for Jordan Rossiter,seems to be injured a fair bit since leaving for Rangers now though.

Sweeting

I had high hopes for Jordan Rossiter,seems to be injured a fair bit since leaving for Rangers now though.
Good to see him have a really strong season for Bury - he was key to their promotion to League One and I would expect him to either get gametime at Rangers or get a move to the football league.

richieh10

We always seem to have a youth team player who scores bags of goals for the youth sides but completely fails to make the grade.

I’m thinking Mellor, there was another lad just after him called... maybe Craig Davies I want to say (might be something completely different)

We have 2 this year and I’ve seen that Bobby Duncan is being linked with a move to Portugal? Crazy really

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
We always seem to have a youth team player who scores bags of goals for the youth sides but completely fails to make the grade.

I’m thinking Mellor, there was another lad just after him called... maybe Craig Davies I want to say (might be something completely different)

We have 2 this year and I’ve seen that Bobby Duncan is being linked with a move to Portugal? Crazy really
Craig Lindfield?

macca1970

Mark Kennedy's another who didn't do the business. Got him from Millwall didn't we?
Yup, signed as an 18yo for a fee which was the highest in British transfer history for a teenager. Had high hopes for him, but he was signed during the time when Roy Evans was wedded to his 3 centrebacks and 2 wingbacks system, and as a more of a traditiaonl winger type, Kennedy never really got a look in.

His fellow Irishman Richie Partridge was another who didn't make it with us (discounting the fact his now our first team physio!). Had some back luck with injuries, but after his successful loan spell with Coventry in the early 2000s, I still thought he could make it here with us. Alas, not to be (on the football field that is).

macca1970

If Chris Bascombe was a forum member, he would bring up his article (19 August 2003 titled: Why Le Tallec will be our Ronaldo ) from back in the day about our French gem:

"According to everyone who they make listen, United have just signed the best teenager in the world. By God are we hearing about it.

I'm not doubting Ronaldo's abilities. Clearly he's a talented kid who may be on the threshold of greatness. It just strikes me as rather odd that no-one has given the same attention to Liverpool's equally stunning new teenage recruit."

macca1970

Andre Wisdon was never spectacular, but thought he would make a good physical defender. Had the attributes. Broke into our first team in 2012-13 season, then had a successful loan in the championship, followed by a couple of seasons worth of loans in the Prem. Never really progressed, and now finds himself with Derby in the Championship.

Prior to Wisdom, another rightback/CB combo player Martin Kelly made a breakthrough into the first team, but injuries did him in. Still managing a good prem career though.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
John Newby, who I spent ages telling anyone who would listen would be the next great striker for Liverpool.

I dismissed a woeful defender called Jamie Carragher, though that Gerrard kid seemed ok.

I used to go and watch the reserves a bit.

As for Canos, he wanted to play football, i feel under someone like Klopp he may have developed, I now don't think he will do any better than the Championship, kind of a shame really as I still think he was talented and even when I went to watch him at Brentford soon after his move him and a Chelsea lad on loan looked miles better than any other players out there.

Last edited:

Godwin Antwi - many thought he was going to be some commanding defender for us but never made the step up

Craig Lindfield - scored that goal in a friendly and it kind of rasied my expectations we'd see another Fowler. He's currently semi-pro now

igor_piss_can

Not a "youth" player as I don't think he spent much time at the academy, but seeing as the likes of Pongolle & Le Tallec are being mentioned I'd say Alou Diarra is another one I had really high hopes for at the time. Was quite the coup when we first signed him & he apparently impressed on his early loan stints. Just didn't seem to work out for him in the end

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Not a "youth" player as I don't think he spent much time at the academy, but seeing as the likes of Pongolle & Le Tallec are being mentioned I'd say Alou Diarra is another one I had really high hopes for at the time. Was quite the coup when we first signed him & he apparently impressed on his early loan stints. Just didn't seem to work out for him in the end

Diarra did play for France 44 times, even played in the world Cup final they lost to Italy in 06. He was a very decent player. Was never given a chance by us.

igor_piss_can

Diarra did play for France 44 times, even played in the world Cup final they lost to Italy in 06. He was a very decent player. Was never given a chance by us.
That's mad, I remember him having a half decent career after he'd left us but I didn't know he accumulated anywhere near that amount of caps

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
He's not around much of late so I'll mention it for @Celtic Dragon

Jonjo Shelvey lol

Loads more...

David Thompson
Danny Wilson
Jordan Rossiter
Sergi Canos
Jack Robinson

Oh, Tiago Ilori. I once thought he could be the next Rio Ferdinand. :shocked:
Ilori is on my list as is Suso and Samed Yesil.

Sergi Canos looked class when I saw him at Brentford.

Markovic was a flop but was 19 when we got him
Grujic will hopefully turn the corner soon.

But really I remember this young lad Flanagan who started off very brightly as a teen and faded away a few years ago. Just couldn't maintain his trajectory

Blame the media, so much pressure

Last edited:

Genius

The Somewhat Normal One
There was one player that was so over-hyped that I felt ashamed looking back.
Regarded as the next big thing when a 14 year old kid from a Sunday league team scored 6 goals in a friendly against against a national under 18 team many years ago.

Nicknamed the young el fenomeno when plying the trade, and was instantly poached by a local club and was fast tracked for success. Two years and multiple injuries later, having made no first team appearance. The talent retired and looked for greener pastures elsewhere

Yup that's me.

Andy Mac

There was one player that was so over-hyped that I felt ashamed looking back.
Regarded as the next big thing when a 14 year old kid from a Sunday league team scored 6 goals in a friendly against against a national under 18 team many years ago.

Nicknamed the young el fenomeno when plying the trade, and was instantly poached by a local club and was fast tracked for success. Two years and multiple injuries later, having made no first team appearance. The talent retired and looked for greener pastures elsewhere

Yup that's me.
Remember reading about that in the Merseymart back in the day. El Weekendo Fenomeno. Those were the days

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Please please please Fowler never let the name Brewster appear in a future thread like this as a contender!

Limiescouse

Jordon Ibe for me. I recall thinking he had loads of potential to become a top player. Incredibly, he's only contributed to about a dozen goals in well over 100 games in the top flight.
First couple of times I saw Ibe at the senior level, what stood out to me was how developed his game was. Most wide players who step up to senior level do so with one trick, getting the ball to feet and beating their defender down the outside. The talent and/or physical disparity at youth level between a player of this caliber and the defender he typically plays against provides little motivation to get good at anything else because the go to move works so consistently. With Ibe I saw a player who frequently dropped his should and came inside, which while a bit heretical was very John Barnes like. I saw him be willing to slow down before accelerating again to beat his now stationary defender. I saw him run off the back of his defender. These are things that forwards of his age and experience dont do very often and thats why I was convinced he was the real deal. By the time he left the club though he was unrecognizable. Something went wrong for him and I have no idea what.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Sergi Canos looked class when I saw him at Brentford.
Canos is a werid one, he has stagnated a bit but still does look miles above his team mates every time I have seen him. Must be an environment type player as he didn't break through at Norwich. I feel he could probably play at a lower PL level, will he ever go that way who knows, 22 is still young, he isn't going be the next Messi but he has time to develop.