• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Youth players you got way too hyped for

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Ben Woodburn. A controversial thing to say. But he is been so unlucky with injuries, failed loans and whatnot, I think the last 3 years has been disastrous for him. What actually should have been the crucial making period. I think he will not make it here and will not make it to the highest level.

Sweeting

Ben Woodburn. A controversial thing to say. But he is been so unlucky with injuries, failed loans and whatnot, I think the last 3 years has been disastrous for him. What actually should have been the crucial making period. I think he will not make it here and will not make it to the highest level.
It is too early to write him off from making it at the "highest level". If you compare him to other players he still isn't doing badly.

Daniel James at the same age as Woodburn was on loan at Shrewsbury, failed to get a game and had it terminated early.
Hwang, the striker for RB Salzburg that many on here praised and suggested signing, was playing second division football in Austria. Minamoto was already at Salzburg but was very much a bit part player newly signed from Japan.
Riyad Mahrez was a back up for Ligue 2 Le Havre.
Mo Salah was playing for Arab Contractors in Egypt.

By no means is he guaranteed to become a really good player and his chances of making it at Liverpool are slim to none - because of the competition. However, lots of players have struggled to breakthrough before they hit their twenties.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
I think the problem with Woodburn is one of expectation - when he burst onto the scene with a debut goal at 16, followed by the Wales call-up I thought we'd unearthed the next Owen. Obviously it's not played out like that.

What with the injuries, failed loans and so on it feels like the last couple of years have been a complete waste for his development. I was hoping he'd get a full season under his belt with Oxford, but now he's been hit with another injury.

I'm not sure about the Salzburg players (I missed the match), but the others you mentioned Sweeting were blessed with great natural pace, which can take you far, which Woodburn unfortunately lacks. For me I think he's already falling into the Suso category, obviously talented and will hopefully go on to have a good career but hard to really see where he'll fit for us.

Sweeting

I think the problem with Woodburn is one of expectation - when he burst onto the scene with a debut goal at 16, followed by the Wales call-up I thought we'd unearthed the next Owen. Obviously it's not played out like that.

What with the injuries, failed loans and so on it feels like the last couple of years have been a complete waste for his development. I was hoping he'd get a full season under his belt with Oxford, but now he's been hit with another injury.

I'm not sure about the Salzburg players (I missed the match), but the others you mentioned Sweeting were blessed with great natural pace, which can take you far, which Woodburn unfortunately lacks. For me I think he's already falling into the Suso category, obviously talented and will hopefully go on to have a good career but hard to really see where he'll fit for us.
If he manages to have a career as good as Suso he'll be a quality player. Suso is AC Milan's best player, although he doesn't always fit their system thesedays.

When I see people say "won't make it at the highest level" I take that to say he will be a career Football League kind of guy, which he might well be, but I think it is too early to take a stance on that for a guy who hasn't yet turned 20 (although he does tomorrow).

If he manages to be a starter in the Championship/Lower PL then he is a quality player and can't be accused of failing anything really.

Zinedine Biscan

If he manages to have a career as good as Suso he'll be a quality player. Suso is AC Milan's best player, although he doesn't always fit their system thesedays.

When I see people say "won't make it at the highest level" I take that to say he will be a career Football League kind of guy, which he might well be, but I think it is too early to take a stance on that for a guy who hasn't yet turned 20 (although he does tomorrow).

If he manages to be a starter in the Championship/Lower PL then he is a quality player and can't be accused of failing anything really.
More Suso as regards Liverpool rather than Suso as he is now - like I said, obvious talent there, unsure if it will ever be realised while playing for us, not sure he has the physical gifts required while it seems his most natural position is one we don't really utilise.

I wasn't really commenting on the previous poster's 'highest level' comment as I think it's far too soon to say.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
When people say "the highest level", they probably mean playing for a Champions League regular, at least that's how I see it. I'm as guilty of overrating Woodburn as anyone but he's turned it around at Oxford, in my opinion, and looked liked enjoying his spell there. The injury hit him at a bad time, though, but I don't think that he'll have a poor career, he just won't have one at Liverpool, like Harry Wilson.

Still, Wilson will most likely become a Premier League-level player, which is a compliment and a recommendation for Liverpool's academy. Woodburn might as well follow in his footsteps after one failed loan and injury issues. We most certainly have to wait for at least two or three years to see if he can do that, club just doesn't give away their young players without maximising the chance for them to gain as much experience as possible, and that at carefully picked clubs. I really can't describe just how much I respect Inglethorpe for establishing that sort of thinking at the academy.

Sweeting

More Suso as regards Liverpool rather than Suso as he is now - like I said, obvious talent there, unsure if it will ever be realised while playing for us, not sure he has the physical gifts required while it seems his most natural position is one we don't really utilise.

I wasn't really commenting on the previous poster's 'highest level' comment as I think it's far too soon to say.
Yeah fair enough, as I said to the original poster making it at Liverpool for Ben will be extremely difficult, if not impossible.

I just get a little frustrated when I see him mentioned on twitter etc. and talked about as a "failure" or "reject" when he is still finding himself as a player, and is still just a teenager. Even The Guardian did this recently on their podcast, calling him a "wasted talent", yet when compared to his peers from The Guardian's own "Next Gen" series, he is doing better than almost all of them...

Ben Woodburn, Liverpool - starter for League One Oxford United after poor time at Sheff Utd in the Championship. Wales international

Reiss Nelson, Arsenal - backup for Arsenal 1st team after good loan to Moenchengladbach.
Gavin Kilkenny, Bournemouth - starter for Bournemouth U23s, 0 professional appearances.
Tristan Jumeau, Burnley - starter for Georgia State University after release by Burnley.
Dujon Sterling, Chelsea - backup for Championship side Wigan on loan from Chelsea. Previous good loan to L1 Coventry.
Joseph Hungbo, Crystal Palace - Backup for Watford U23s after being released by Palace.
Jadon Sancho, Man City - Starter for Borussia Dortmund and England regular.
Angel Gomes, Man Utd - backup for Man Utd 1st team.
Tyrone O'Neill, Middlesbrough - on loan at National League North side Darlington.
Jake Vokins, Southampton - U23 regular, no professional appearances.
Lasse Sorenson, Stoke City - backup for now Championship Stoke.
Lee Connolly, Sunderland - been on loan at Northern Premier League side South Shields.
Brandon Cooper, Swansea City - starter for Swansea U23s.
Tashan Oakley-Boothe, Tottenham - Starter for Tottenham U23s.
Reece Stray, Watford - No longer plays football at any notable level following release by Watford.
Kane Wilson, West Brom - backup at Tranmere on loan from West Brom.
Domingos Quina, Watford - backup for Watford 1st team.

So the only players really doing better than him from that group are Jadon Sancho, Reiss Nelson and, arguably, Angel Gomes.

I think you are right that expectation is the primary issue for Woodburn. Fans thought they were getting Michael Owen instead of just another talented youngster with an outside chance of becoming a high quality player.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
It is too early to write him off from making it at the "highest level". If you compare him to other players he still isn't doing badly.

Daniel James at the same age as Woodburn was on loan at Shrewsbury, failed to get a game and had it terminated early.
It's much easier to get into the United squat than in ours. :cool:

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
There's also a difference in the era when Owen broke through and when Woodburn got his chance and goal. The media and social media is on a totally different level. Of course, people in the business even then knew about this Michael Owen kid. Maybe some fans, too. But not close to what we "know" now and how many of us as fans around the world. What Owen did was outstanding, the goals (not a goal, but goals!) he's started immediately scoring at multiple levels. Also, a simply different player with his pace. Players without that physical attribute; being strong and/or fast, might take more time. This is also arguably not only the best Liverpool side for 3 decades or so, but the best state the club has been in from top to bottom. Finally not living one step behind the present, on and off the pitch. So I guess fans and more fans than ever will always lean to overrating their talents. And that's totally fine and understandable (we all had higher hopes for a number of them), but the the "Michael Owen" and lesser talents these days are on the same platforms as fans (also understandable). It can get to them easily. Plus, we have to know that player's development doesn't necessarily always go in an upward line. If things are normal and Liverpool are successful on the pitch, only few of them will really make it at the high level. What Barca did was extremely rare. I'm proud that we have someone like Trent, some players who have played a lesser part. But that we're producing the, we might earn money and provide them a career elsewhere, at somewhat lower level. We can't give the same chance to everyone, it doesn't work like that. We're one of the world's best clubs (and teams now), you'll have to merit it and work hard to stay there. Having everyone at Kirkby from next summer on might also play it's little part in improving the quality of work.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Highest level for me is being a starter in CL level clubs in England, Spain, Germany, Italy. So that's what I was thinking when I said he will not make it in the highest level. While I feel sorry for him, I still think he won't make it.

trygve76

TIA New Signing
Not cut out for England was he? Slower pace in Italy suits him. Nice player though.
Suso has good pace. He would make our bench, I think. He has some clear qualities, but is a bit one dimensional against very defensive opposition.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Suso has good pace. He would make our bench, I think. He has some clear qualities, but is a bit one dimensional against very defensive opposition.
He's not slow but he's certainly not a fast pacy winger. The slower pace of Italian football definitely suits him .

Zinedine Biscan

Has this guy been mentioned at all in this thread?

I only really remembered him reading this piece (worth a read btw), but now I can recall at the time he was at the club thinking he was going to be a good player. Still playing at a decent level in Portugal, but didn't quite happen for him.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Has this guy been mentioned at all in this thread?

I only really remembered him reading this piece (worth a read btw), but now I can recall at the time he was at the club thinking he was going to be a good player. Still playing at a decent level in Portugal, but didn't quite happen for him.
I only really remember him from FM games. He was always highly rated by the scouts and coaches but never really developed in my saves.

Dhoff3

TIA Squad Member
Pacheco for me. I remember the first time I saw him get a sub performance in for the first team. He looked like he was full of confidence. Maybe Tiago Ilori and Andre Wisdom too.

Also thought Danny Wilson would be a future part of the regular CB pairing.

Flobs

FADA
I know this isn't really a youth player and I have mentionned it before. Divock Origi came to us fairly young I thought he was just what the doctor ordered for us, had great skill and talent, big, fast yet was just soo disapointing ... Oh! wait what just happened. ;)
It just goes to show you never know!

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Actually i had really high hopes for Jon Flanagan. He was in the first team, played well, seems humble on field and local lad, i thought he might be the next Carragher, not necessarily the most talented but full of heart and passion. But injuries and then his assault case probably sent his Liverpool career down the drain

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Allan is another one that even Klopp himself mentioned. But guess that boat has sailed.

nikz200

Too many to count, but i can i narrow it down.

1. (Turns out Cheyrou not a youth guy so out) EDIT
2. Adam Morgan, was banging in goals for fun in the unders and reserves, but then vanished off the face of the earth
3. Yan Dhanda, young kid, indian blood, so naturally i was rooting for him so badly, when i heard we were selling him to Swansea, it left me dissapointed
4. Pacheco, we hyped this guy to degree, even rafa was hyping him at times, and season after season we wondered when he would come good, it never happened.
5. Neil Mellor, After that Arsenal goal, i was so young i thought we had found the next Michael Owen or even more naively i thought this was going to be our Shearer. injuries and mis steps just hampered him in the end.

Last edited:

Zinedine Biscan

Too many to count, but i can i narrow it down.

1. Bruno Cheyrou, did some stuff, really did well in a couple of games, but in the end...... not really up to the level
2. Adam Morgan, was banging in goals for fun in the unders and reserves, but then vanished off the face of the earth
3. Yan Dhanda, young kid, indian blood, so naturally i was rooting for him so badly, when i heard we were selling him to Swansea, it left me dissapointed
4. Pacheco, we hyped this guy to degree, even rafa was hyping him at times, and season after season we wondered when he would come good, it never happened.
5. Neil Mellor, After that Arsenal goal, i was so young i thought we had found the next Michael Owen or even more naively i thought this was going to be our Shearer. injuries and mis steps just hampered him in the end.

Cheyrou wasn't a youth player (for us anyway, I'm sure he was somewhere!) though.

Zinedine Biscan

Aw ok, well it was back in 2000s at the time i thought he was a youth player and Gerard Houlier calling him the next Zidane, my bad
Yeah, he was 24 when he signed. He just played like a kid just starting out :LOL: