Youth Transfers Thread

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Don't see what he has done wrong though - Chelsea gave him a contract and he upheld his side of it.

Not his fault he wasn't as good as Chelsea thought he would be.
Not in contractual terms.... but not very good example to use as a pro footballer, no? Was offered to several clubs, he wanted his wages to stay the same and the buying club could not afford £40K a week at the time, and Chelsea could not afford to subsidise it. A few deals didn't go through because of his wages demand. So not good in footballing terms, but great for his bank account surely....

phnaarg

TIA Youth Team
Not in contractual terms.... but not very good example to use as a pro footballer, no? Was offered to several clubs, he wanted his wages to stay the same and the buying club could not afford £40K a week at the time, and Chelsea could not afford to subsidise it. A few deals didn't go through because of his wages demand. So not good in footballing terms, but great for his bank account surely....
He was at the end of a quite successful career when they offered him that deal..he hardly sacrificed his career! Chelsea ostracised him when he refused to leave.. And he's right.. Nobody wanted him at those wages. Not his fault he was signed up on those terms and he didn't need the playing time at that stage of his career, his international days were over. Would you have done any different?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
He was at the end of a quite successful career when they offered him that deal..he hardly sacrificed his career! Chelsea ostracised him when he refused to leave.. And he's right.. Nobody wanted him at those wages. Not his fault he was signed up on those terms and he didn't need the playing time at that stage of his career, his international days were over. Would you have done any different?
Yes I would.

Sweeting

He took advantage of a situation where he got himself a great deal.

I wouldn't leave a job if I felt I was massively overpaid - I'd milk it for all its worth and can't hold that against Bogarde either.

Clubs take advantage of players all the time, I'm not getting the violins out for poor old Chelsea for making a bad deal and having a player take advantage of them.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
He took advantage of a situation where he got himself a great deal.

I wouldn't leave a job if I felt I was massively overpaid - I'd milk it for all its worth and can't hold that against Bogarde either.

Clubs take advantage of players all the time, I'm not getting the violins out for poor old Chelsea for making a bad deal and having a player take advantage of them.
Well I wouldn't want someone like him in our club, that's the reason behind my comments. This type of character does not sit well with me, and I would never want to see someone like this working with or for me. Both parties milked each other, but when you know you are not going to earn as much and move on to try and salvage your career or reignite it, you do win some browny points. Not like he's some poor sap, trying to make ends meet....

phnaarg

TIA Youth Team
Well I wouldn't want someone like him in our club, that's the reason behind my comments. This type of character does not sit well with me, and I would never want to see someone like this working with or for me. Both parties milked each other, but when you know you are not going to earn as much and move on to try and salvage your career or reignite it, you do win some browny points. Not like he's some poor sap, trying to make ends meet....
maybe not but he's a professional..Which means football is his profession and his source of Income. It's hardly as though he supported Chelsea from childhood or Anything. It was a good wage and he complied with his employers requirements and honoured his contract. Nothing really wrong with that.

dxb_red

I have no qualms with what Winston did. He signed a contract and then a few weeks later the club decide they want him gone. Well I'm sorry, but it doesn't work like that. He didn't refuse to play or go on strike, they demoted him to the reserves and made him train with the youngsters to try to force him out but he just went about his business, turned up for training on time every day and took his money. Fair play to him. Why would anyone walk away from a lucrative contract to take less money at that stage in their career?

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Oh, excellent. Can you redeem these in Tesco?

Limiescouse

He was 30 by the time he signed for Chelsea and had already played for Ajax and Barca, winning the CL and multiple league titles. Chelsea knew they were getting guy who was going there to finish out his career when they bought him.
maybe not but he's a professional..Which means football is his profession and his source of Income.
His contract also took him past his 34th birthday. This was his last payday, and no one should hold it against him that after a successful career he chose to see it out, knowing the lack of game time would have no impact at all on his future earnings (because there werent going to be any regardless).

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
He was 30 by the time he signed for Chelsea and had already played for Ajax and Barca, winning the CL and multiple league titles. Chelsea knew they were getting guy who was going there to finish out his career when they bought him.
that should be 'only 30'.

at 30 years old...fuck that...any age....you should be looking at tring to play at your maximum level.

you are a long time retired....whilst the decision regarding your families future has some merit....but I think footballers at that level can get too focussed on the renumeration as an extention of their dick.

I cant really convey my feelings about this....maybe something along the lines of when you are lying on your deathbed, you'd never say you were glad you cut your career short, and went down in history as 'that player'.

I think it would always be a regret.

OLDIE

TIA New Signing

at 30 years old...fuck that...any age....you should be looking at tring to play at your maximum level.

you are a long time retired....whilst the decision regarding your families future has some merit....but I think footballers at that level can get too focussed on the renumeration as an extention of their dick.

I cant really convey my feelings about this....maybe something along the lines of when you are lying on your deathbed, you'd never say you were glad you cut your career short, and went down in history as 'that player'.

Is it just me or does someone else have a problem with tarnishing the nephew for the action of an uncle.

Winston had a contract and honoured it. What is the problem with that.

redalways

TIA Regular

I think context is important. This isn't in the modern era of utterly ridiculous football salaries. It's not as if he would be earning anything even close to the same salary if he found another club, which is more Chelsea's stupidity than anything else. Given his career trajectory prior to this, anything else would be downwards really.

Thoroughly rational and logical decision. Which is also why I was against the likes of Joe Cole signing in the twilight of their careers, because unless they're willing to come for solely sporting reasons, we should avoid them as much as possible.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Is it just me or does someone else have a problem with tarnishing the nephew for the action of an uncle.

Winston had a contract and honoured it. What is the problem with that.
Also got to wonder why Chelsea didn't find him a new club and pay any short fall on wages he'd have received if they wanted him gone so badly. Think yes, he basically retired earlier than he needed to due to the situation. But at the end of a very successful career full of great memories and moments it's quite bad if that's what someone is remembered for simply because he didn't force his way out of a contract to play some more football for less money than he was entitled to. Just to what? Save face or something?

gr_sounder

Count me among the numbers of people who can't believe anyone would possibly try to hold anything Winston Bogarde did at other clubs against this young player. Good lord, lets base thoughts on his own merits.

Besides, Winston fulfilled his contract and did nothing wrong. He was offered a contract, and he accepted. He was under no obligation to cancel his contract because his pay was too high compared to his production on the field.

Kopstar

★★★★★
Quite - also appears as if he's more upset with the 'system' and I can't blame him. It's awful.

Quite why we don't just pay for his school fees and the fee to release him from Stoke to allow him to move on I don't know - also odd why he doesn't just continue with Stoke?
So, more than two months later and this has now apparently been the solution arrived at.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...ews/liverpool-settle-tapping-up-case-13650523

Liverpool have settled the tapping up case which led to the club being banned from signing players from other English academies for two years and fined £100,000.

A joint statement from the club and the Premier League confirmed that a deal had been reached for the 13-year-old involved in the case to continue at his current school and join another academy.

That had been delayed by the need for his previous club Stoke to receive £49,000 in compensation before he could join another club.

The joint statement said: “The Premier League and Liverpool FC have reached a constructive agreement regarding the future education of a young player who was unable to register with the club.

“Under the terms of the agreement, the player will be able to continue his education at his current school.

“He will also be free to join another club in the academy system without that club being required to pay compensation, which has been settled with his former club, Stoke City FC.

“We understand this has been a difficult situation for the young person. We are pleased for him that it has been resolved and wish him a successful future.”

Liverpool accepted the “tapping up” ban back in April after admitting paying for the youngster and some of his family to attend a game at Anfield.

The facts involved a boy at Stoke, 12 at the time, whose private school fees were being paid by the Potters.

It is claimed Liverpool had offered to continue paying his school fees until he was 16 if he moved to the Reds but this was blocked by a change in Premier League rules.

New guidelines stated that such an offer can only be made if a club pays for all the schoolchildren on their books to be educated privately. Liverpool however send their youngsters to Rainhill High School.

Liverpool went to the Premier League to seek clarification and at this point an investigation was triggered.

The club always insisted they did not pull out of the deal for the player but instead it was simply blocked by the Premier League guidelines.

The two have now combined to settle the school fees issue and hopefully let the young player restart his path.

Liverpool will hope to put the whole embarrassing incident swiftly behind them. The second year of the academy ban is suspended and would only be triggered by another breach.

jgw_geneseo

Expert YouTube scout
Bit of a different one, not sure where to put it, so I'll leave it here. James Maddison say's we were after him a few years ago before he signed for Norwich, when he was 17 or so. Doing well in the Championship now if the article is to be believed. Calls him the next Dele Alli which might be over the top, but hey, you never know.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...terview-coventry-chelsea-fa-cup-a8143656.html

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Bit of a different one, not sure where to put it, so I'll leave it here. James Maddison say's we were after him a few years ago before he signed for Norwich, when he was 17 or so. Doing well in the Championship now if the article is to be believed. Calls him the next Dele Alli which might be over the top, but hey, you never know.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...terview-coventry-chelsea-fa-cup-a8143656.html
Interesting. A potential Coutinho replacement?

TippRed

TIA Youth Team
Looks like Cam Brannigan is being released. So hard to predict which youngsters will break through. Was convinced on Pacheco then Suso then Sterling and Ibe thought Cam had a chance too.
1 out of 5 fulfilled potential and then was sold :-(

jgw_geneseo

Expert YouTube scout
He's moving to Oxford Utd, so he'll have a chance at a career, which is what most of these guys want. May not be the career he thought, but you never know. 10th in league one. If he's good enough someone in the championship will take him and give him a shot. Best of luck to him.

gr_sounder

Looks like Cam Brannigan is being released. So hard to predict which youngsters will break through. Was convinced on Pacheco then Suso then Sterling and Ibe thought Cam had a chance too.
1 out of 5 fulfilled potential and then was sold :-(
I'm wishing him the best of luck.
Of those you mentioned, the only one(s) that I thought had a chance to play in the Premier League were Sterling and Ibe. I still have no idea why so many thought Pacheco was going to be a top quality player, but I know a lot did. Ibe I think is what he is.... a good player for a mid or lower level Premier League team. Sterling has surprised me, I expected him to be a one-trick pony but he's doing pretty well in the role he has at Man City and is useful to them.

Back to Brannigan, I am hoping he can make it a good long career as a professional footballer. He's 21 years old, and it's fairly plain to see that he's not going to become a player here anytime soon, so it's in the best interests of the club and Cam to move elsewhere to hopefully get to his level in the footballing world.

Sidenote: I think all of these players have "fulfilled their potential". It's just not the "potential" you thought they had. :-)