• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Youth Transfers Thread

Sweeting

Its the Metro, but wonder if theres anything solid regarding this one...
Liverpool interested in £4million transfer for Leeds youngster Leif Davis
I saw this one and looked him up, since the article I saw said he had made an "incredible impact" at Leeds...

One start and three appearances in the league. two of those appearances have been in the final minute.

Seems unlikely he would be an option to support Robertson with about 100 minutes of first team football to his name.

If he were to sign it could be an indication that we intend to move Larouci's position. He's currently the U18 left back and moving into the U23s this season but he is extremely versatile.

supereddman98

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
I wonder if he would qualify for work permit in the UK?

Last edited:

Sweeting

A guy on RAWK has said that the two players we have signed from them are Luke Hewitson, GK, and James McConnell, winger, both of them were on trial with us earlier this year. Another trialist, Harrison Jones, looks like he was not picked up. Both lads are coming in from Sunderland's U14 team.

Luca Stephenson was signed from Sunderland U16s last season also and should be in our U18 squad this season.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
We must be in pole position here. Huge Irish community, great transport links back to NI, fantastic manager who is giving youth a chance. Why wouldn't he come?

Unless he's a United fan I don't see why he'd choose anywhere else. Celtic/Rangers are the other obvious choice I suppose, and I guess if he's good enough he'll earn a move to England before long anyway.

Still, Liverpool is the club to be at for any aspiring young players at the moment. Only Tottenham will give players the opportunities we do.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
We must be in pole position here. Huge Irish community, great transport links back to NI, fantastic manager who is giving youth a chance. Why wouldn't he come?

Unless he's a United fan I don't see why he'd choose anywhere else.
I dunno, we could be up against a tremendous Northern Irish manager who's a great mentor with fabulous character and a reputation for developing educating young players...

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin

Unless he's a United fan I don't see why he'd choose anywhere else. Celtic/Rangers are the other obvious choice I suppose, and I guess if he's good enough he'll earn a move to England before long anyway.

Still, Liverpool is the club to be at for any aspiring young players at the moment. Only Tottenham will give players the opportunities we do.
This Connor Bradley kid is a Liverpool fan but he still went to trial with Man United (it's mentioned in the article that is embedded within the one I pasted here). I guess kids and their parents want what they think is the best for them at that moment.

Charlie Allen, though, bloody great name, by the way, and some way to exorcise the demons of his name- and surname-sakes who recently played for Liverpool.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
This Connor Bradley kid is a Liverpool fan but he still went to trial with Man United (it's mentioned in the article that is embedded within the one I pasted here). I guess kids and their parents want what they think is the best for them at that moment.

Charlie Allen, though, bloody great name, by the way, and some way to exorcise the demons of his name- and surname-sakes who recently played for Liverpool.
Didn't Gerrard go and have a trial with United? He had no intention of joining them but did it for experience, iirc. May have been another Liverpool player?

Limiescouse

Didn't Gerrard go and have a trial with United? He had no intention of joining them but did it for experience, iirc. May have been another Liverpool player?
When I was that age I said yes to every opportunity to play and scope out a set up even if I didn't like or rate the people involved and no intention of accepting any offer that may have come my way.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
When I was that age I said yes to every opportunity to play and scope out a set up even if I didn't like or rate the people involved and no intention of accepting any offer that may have come my way.
I can't think of any downside to that. At worst it gives scouts from other clubs an incentive to see what their rivals are looking at.

Red over the water

Just wondering Limiescouse, what level did you reach as a player? Did you play professionally?

Statistically there must be a few on here with a back story playing a bit, just wondering ‘tis all.

Limiescouse

High enough to have experienced first hand what the life is like and know how the system works (or worked 25 years ago), but not high enough to have earned any real money from it (the non-talent appreciating bastards that they are).

Last edited:

Red over the water

Fair enough, cheers.

I played at a half decent level (not professional) up to age 18. Wirral Schools and County football too, plus assorted youth club teams. I played with a former Liverpool player (this was in the 1980s and we went to the same high school) before he hit the big time, then life took a turn and I went to Uni and so on and didn’t really play again, apart from the odd five a side here and there.

Limiescouse

Fair enough, cheers.

I played at a half decent level (not professional) up to age 18. Wirral Schools and County football too, plus assorted youth club teams. I played with a former Liverpool player (this was in the 1980s and we went to the same high school) before he hit the big time, then life took a turn and I went to Uni and so on and didn’t really play again, apart from the odd five a side here and there.
That was why I moved to the States when I did. It was obviously a lower standard, but I was someone who at 17 felt they had fallen through the cracks in the system in part because of a lack of sophistication of the coaches and scouts I'd been unlucky enough to be stuck with ("get it forward early"..."what are you doing out there, you're a big lad. Go and get it on the back post"). The professionalism of the approach in the states and the different ways the coaches approached the game really helped me start to internalize and solidify my understand of what the limitations were of the system I had just gone through.

Last edited:

bazza66

TIA Youth Team
Fair enough, cheers.

Fair enough, cheers.

Trying to think who it was, and can't! Davenport played a couple of years above me, but he signed for the Mancs.

As you were a county player did you get invited to trial for the two Merseyside clubs that, coincidently, won trophies this year (obviously LFC and Tranmere)? I bottled it and didn't go - the expectation of failure might have played almost as big a part as the lure of Uni and women. Obviously, we never had Peter Crouch to give us careers advice back then.

Richard88

With the signings of Van den Berg (17), Elliotte (16), and Ojrzynski (16) it seems like the onus for now is on succession-planning by signing young players for the future.

That said, the current squad could clearly do with the following additions:
  • an understudy for Robertson at LB;
  • a long-term replacement for Milner/Lallana at CM; and
  • a young LW.
With that in mind, are there any highly-rated youngsters in these 3 positions that we've either been linked to recently, or just worth keeping in mind?

Limiescouse

With the signings of Van den Berg (17), Elliotte (16), and Ojrzynski (16) it seems like the onus for now is on succession-planning by signing young players for the future.

With that in mind, are there any highly-rated youngsters in these 3 positions that we've either been linked to recently, or just worth keeping in mind?
I think those are dots that should not be connected. The path from talented (even ridiculously talented) 16-17 year old to the level we require is an uncertain one. We are almost certainly not pursuing these players with a view to filling a specific first team role. They are simply special young players we have seen something in and will deal with how to bring them into the first team when the time is right.

Richard88

I think those are dots that should not be connected. The path from talented (even ridiculously talented) 16-17 year old to the level we require is an uncertain one. We are almost certainly not pursuing these players with a view to filling a specific first team role. They are simply special young players we have seen something in and will deal with how to bring them into the first team when the time is right.
That's a good point. That said, my question wasn't necessarily geared towards players as young as 16 who, as you say, should be signed on a quality basis rather than current need. But looking at Hoever, Van den Berg, and Elliott it does seem like they have been earmarked for specific roles in the first team in line with when replacements for other first team players will be needed. After all, you don't often see teams go out and sign half a dozen youth players for the same position, because there's some expectation that they will graduate into the first team proper.

Whatever the case, I'd love to see some ideas about some "Harvey Elliott" type players to keep an eye on, regardless of position (but primarily in LB/CM/LW).

Kiddy Harrier

Kidderminster Harriers fan here, last Wednesday we had a Rhys Williams play in a friendly for us with a view to joining on loan, can't find much info about him apart from he plays for the U23s. Our manager John Pemberton says there may be a link up between Kidderminster Harriers and Liverpool academy with a view to us borrowing players.

Sweeting

Kidderminster Harriers fan here, last Wednesday we had a Rhys Williams play in a friendly for us with a view to joining on loan, can't find much info about him apart from he plays for the U23s. Our manager John Pemberton says there may be a link up between Kidderminster Harriers and Liverpool academy with a view to us borrowing players.
Seems to be an unusual level to want to send Williams to - worse players than him have been loaned out to higher leagues.