• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Youth Transfers Thread

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Sterling And Stewart im sure you can’t say they are products of our academy....but I digress, doesn’t change your overall point.
In part, this is why I've also emphasised the importance of the likes of Hoever and Elliott making it. Like these two, they were brought to Liverpool's academy from other clubs and turned into financial successes (Sterling, though, should have been much more than that but that's for another discussion). I regard them as academy transfers, not as first team ones, as they spent a few years there before turning out for the first team.

Limiescouse

I think the academy staff are already doing their bit to maximise the chance that these kids have a nice future if their football careers don't work out. I don't think Liverpool academy in particular have ever invested so much in giving them proper education, which is really commendable, whether these kids make it or not. At the very minimum, you don't want to hear your footballing hero barely able to string two sentences together or write a social media post in incorrect grammar.
To be fair, I taught at University for about 10 years and that was a not a guarantee of the students even at that level of education. I actually had to stop giving exams with questions that require them to write responses because I couldnt deal with wading through the incomprehensibility of the written responses. This is true even at the graduate level (although, this was in the US...)

As to Sweeting's larger idea, it is an interesting one and that is why I think it is interesting that two of the most advanced set ups in the league, us and City, are already quite focused on this. The change in philisophy at our club in recent years has been well discussed, as has been the proliferation of our graduates through the ranks of professional football in a way that wasnt happening 10 years ago. What is interesting about City is that they require their kids to go through the elementary coaching certificates so they have a way to stay in the game if they were to flame out as a player before graduating.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
@Limiescouse about City and their young players: I read a piece by Sam Lee yesterday on Eric Garcia. Didn't know they had that sort of program going on, but seems like a good idea - especially for someone like Garcia, who seems to be a bit of freak. In a good way, I mean; seems to have the mind of a coach, judging by that piece.

Limiescouse

@Limiescouse about City and their young players: I read a piece by Sam Lee yesterday on Eric Garcia. Didn't know they had that sort of program going on, but seems like a good idea - especially for someone like Garcia, who seems to be a bit of freak. In a good way, I mean; seems to have the mind of a coach, judging by that piece.
I am skeptical about city. In many ways they are a different club than the one that played at Maine Road. Back then they took real pride in being the team for real Mancunians. The red wasnt even really in manchester and a minority of their fans were local. Abu Dhabi threatened that, and so one of the things they did was to use their academy to try to cement that local club status. They really went hard for the best kids in Manchester, even including the kids of Utd players, so that they could position themselves as Manchester's real club with real ties to the community. Once you;ve seen them be that cynical over using the academy for PR, I think it is fair to look for cynicism in all aspects of it.

In sports bait and switch tactics are common when it comes to recruiting talent. So given all that, I do wonder how much their commitment to this holistic, personcentric approach to youth development is real and how much of it was just something they put on paper so they could sell it.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I am skeptical about city. In many ways they are a different club than the one that played at Maine Road. Back then they took real pride in being the team for real Mancunians. The red wasnt even really in manchester and a minority of their fans were local. Abu Dhabi threatened that, and so one of the things they did was to use their academy to try to cement that local club status. They really went hard for the best kids in Manchester, even including the kids of Utd players, so that they could position themselves as Manchester's real club with real ties to the community. Once you;ve seen them be that cynical over using the academy for PR, I think it is fair to look for cynicism in all aspects of it.

In sports bait and switch tactics are common when it comes to recruiting talent. So given all that, I do wonder how much their commitment to this holistic, personcentric approach to youth development is real and how much of it was just something they put on paper so they could sell it.
What kids really want is the bunga bunga parties!