Zeljko Buvac

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
Krawietz as second in command, and Xabi in as 3rd? Wouldn't need too much coaching experience in that role other than learning. Besides Klopp is always happy with the people around him, not that he would berate anyone. I am just not a big fan after speaking with some of the people that follows NEC (home town club) and @Dutch in here with regards to his attitude when he was in NEC. None of my staff was too impressed with how he carry himself and described to me the way he speaks about football, which I akin to Rodgers.

That's me, personal view of that fella.
As Pearce said in his piece in the Echo, Krawietz's talents are on the analytics side, whereas Buvac was heavily involved in preparing the team to play our counterpress style, designing the training drills etc, so that's the kind of gap we're looking to fill. Lijnders is obviously very familiar with not just the club but our style of play (as he was the bridge between the academy and first team), whereas Xabi, even if an undiscovered coaching genius, would be coming in blind.

It may not be Lijnders, but I think we'll be looking to appoint someone with experience, and possibly even someone Klopp has worked with in the past.

FGred

As Pearce said in his piece in the Echo, Krawietz's talents are on the analytics side, whereas Buvac was heavily involved in preparing the team to play our counterpress style, designing the training drills etc, so that's the kind of gap we're looking to fill. Lijnders is obviously very familiar with not just the club but our style of play (as he was the bridge between the academy and first team), whereas Xabi, even if an undiscovered coaching genius, would be coming in blind.

It may not be Lijnders, but I think we'll be looking to appoint someone with experience, and possibly even someone Klopp has worked with in the past.
Well it looks like pep Lijnders has been asked to come back according to lfcecho?

Red over the water

Lijnders would be a great fit to come back. He’s knows the players, the system, and is highly regarded. His stint as a manager in Holland didn’t go too well though. Maybe that experience got the wanderlust out of his system. Not everyone is cut out to be a manager, but it doesn’t mean they can’t be very good indeed in the right set up.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Its a no brainer, but at the same time, how quickly will he be off again once a job arises? Can you appoint him knowing he's probably going to be off when hes offered something?
You could say that about anyone to be honest at a certain level, even Buvac it looks like.

Secretly hope Buvac does return.

Last edited:

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
He's not returning it seems. Lovren spoke to Croatian media before the final and mentioned Buvac, saying that if we win it would be for him too. Said he doesn't know what exactly happened (or maybe didn't want to say it publicly, which is also possible and understandable if so).

Maria

I am really gutted to hear this news if it is true. I wonder who will come and replace him. Buvac is one of very few people in the football world who are so excellent in their speciality.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
More from a source that talked with Lovren at his new hotel last week: Klopp one day entered the dressing room and simply told the players that Zeljko would leave. No reasons mentioned (though Dejan apparently said the players noticed Zeljko became more silent in the last month he was there or so), but Klopp admitted to the players that he felt worse than if his wife was divorcing him, but it is how it is. Nothing else was said. Apparently Mane then asked Mignolet (possible that they were sitting alongside each other going by squad numbers with Lallana and Ox out injured) "who is Zeljko?" (haha). Described Mane as a bit of a lost lunatic but a positive guy who doesn't give a fuss about anything, enjoys life and does his thing. Karius is apparently in a really bad mental state at the moment (no surprise). Dejan said he knows how he feels as he was also down in some moments before, but that Klopp fully trusts him so he also doesn't give a fuss anymore about certain comments from the outside. Said he never watched and didn't have a clue about Fabinho, but also that we should't trust the media so much and that the club is eyeing some big names (I don't know, maybe Oblak the only realistic 'big one'?). Dejan's dad was also present, just drinking beers and saying how Klopp is God.

lol

(of course, I'm also taking all this with a pinch of salt, not only from the source, but from Dejan himself)

inaiq

"Some people feel the rain others just get wet"
Lijnders would be a great fit to come back. He’s knows the players, the system, and is highly regarded. His stint as a manager in Holland didn’t go too well though. Maybe that experience got the wanderlust out of his system. Not everyone is cut out to be a manager, but it doesn’t mean they can’t be very good indeed in the right set up.
:-)

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
To be honest, I'm not all that excited at Linders coming back. To last just a few months in a manager's job means you must have fucked up spectacularly or really pissed people off.
Based on what @lfc.eddie said above, my guess would be the latter. Seems like he wants to be a manager but if he can't cut it at some piddling Dutch club then I don't see why he should be considered for a job with LFC again. But he is now the assistant manager, at least until he gets offered a first team coach job somewhere else.
Really like Eddie's idea about getting Alonso as asst. manager.

Strictly Armchair

To be honest, I'm not all that excited at Linders coming back. To last just a few months in a manager's job means you must have fucked up spectacularly or really pissed people off.
Based on what @lfc.eddie said above, my guess would be the latter. Seems like he wants to be a manager but if he can't cut it at some piddling Dutch club then I don't see why he should be considered for a job with LFC again. But he is now the assistant manager, at least until he gets offered a first team coach job somewhere else.
Not sure you can come to such a conclusive judgement on a person's career after one false start.

One coach I can think of started his first team coaching career as follows: Real Valladolid, 2 wins in 23 matches, sacked. Then Osasuna, nine matches, only one win, sacked. His name: Rafael Benitez.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Not sure you can come to such a conclusive judgement on a person's career after one false start.

One coach I can think of started his first team coaching career as follows: Real Valladolid, 2 wins in 23 matches, sacked. Then Osasuna, nine matches, only one win, sacked. His name: Rafael Benitez.
Is there some reason why we should take back someone who chose to leave the club and then had a "false start" elsewhere? I don't see any of Rafa's former clubs taking him back after false starting at some other club.
It seems to be suggested that Linders might succeed Klopp. I would hope that Klopp's successor is someone who has shown real ability as opposed to being someone who was booted out of his first position.

Strictly Armchair

Is there some reason why we should take back someone who chose to leave the club and then had a "false start" elsewhere? I don't see any of Rafa's former clubs taking him back after false starting at some other club.
It seems to be suggested that Linders might succeed Klopp. I would hope that Klopp's successor is someone who has shown real ability as opposed to being someone who was booted out of his first position.
The reason I would imagine is a number of important people at the club are of the opinion that Lijnders has plenty to offer. I'm sure we're not just putting him back on the payroll as a charitable act. Klopp amongst others has spoken highly of him in the past so I'm not at all dismayed to hear he has rejoined the staff.

Looking at it from the outside it's simply a case of the club behaving in a mature manner and benefitting as a result. In fact I'd be appalled if I thought the club had a policy of "How dare you leave us. You'll never darken our doorstep again." Young, ambitious employees leaving to expand their skills elsewhere is no bad thing, particularly if the path to where they want to go is blocked for the foreseeable future at their current employer. If both parties part on good terms it can then be beneficial for the original club to re-employ someone who is wiser for the experience gained elsewhere. Maybe chastened in Lijnders' case.

I have read the suggestions that Lijnders may succeed Klopp but none of them were from credible sources as far as I can recall. With regards to Klopp's successor, I would hope there is plenty of succession planning in place. He is contracted until '22 so that gives the club ample time to keep an eye on youngish managers who are showing real potential. We are certainly not a club who should be employing a first time manager at any stage in the future, unless we have a Guardiola amongst the ranks.

Limiescouse

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Management is a different kettle of fish than coaching. (Or in the case of Alonso, playing) It's obvious that Pep has the coaching elements down magnificently, but the additional aspects - player management, in game tactics, dealing with the media, transfers, etc. - might not be his cup of tea.

He's also been welcomed back to the club which is helmed by a manager who's shown time and time again that he doesn't tolerate people who upset the apple cart, so strongly doubt that he's the sort that pisses people off.

UpTheReds

I have read the suggestions that Lijnders may succeed Klopp but none of them were from credible sources as far as I can recall. With regards to Klopp's successor, I would hope there is plenty of succession planning in place. He is contracted until '22 so that gives the club ample time to keep an eye on youngish managers who are showing real potential. We are certainly not a club who should be employing a first time manager at any stage in the future, unless we have a Guardiola amongst the ranks.
The best thing anyone wishing to be promoted to follow someone like Klopp, a dominant personality that is the clear leader of an excellent organization and culture, can do is get experience somewhere else, first.

I've seen this first hand several times, albeit not for some of the largest sports organizations in Europe. But the successors that have experience outside of the culture they're ascending to lead have done better, because things always change and you can't be a slave to the past, but you also have to maintain connection and understanding of what made you great to start with.

Probably the only thing Alex Ferguson was not good at as a manager (stay objective) was using and developing his assistants. And Man U has paid for it every day since his retirement. There was no one even remotely prepared to take over for him that was familiar with the culture he developed.

UpTheReds

More from a source that talked with Lovren at his new hotel last week: Klopp one day entered the dressing room and simply told the players that Zeljko would leave. No reasons mentioned (though Dejan apparently said the players noticed Zeljko became more silent in the last month he was there or so), but Klopp admitted to the players that he felt worse than if his wife was divorcing him, but it is how it is. Nothing else was said. Apparently Mane then asked Mignolet (possible that they were sitting alongside each other going by squad numbers with Lallana and Ox out injured) "who is Zeljko?" (haha). Described Mane as a bit of a lost lunatic but a positive guy who doesn't give a fuss about anything, enjoys life and does his thing. Karius is apparently in a really bad mental state at the moment (no surprise). Dejan said he knows how he feels as he was also down in some moments before, but that Klopp fully trusts him so he also doesn't give a fuss anymore about certain comments from the outside. Said he never watched and didn't have a clue about Fabinho, but also that we should't trust the media so much and that the club is eyeing some big names (I don't know, maybe Oblak the only realistic 'big one'?). Dejan's dad was also present, just drinking beers and saying how Klopp is God.

lol

(of course, I'm also taking all this with a pinch of salt, not only from the source, but from Dejan himself)
After Dejan's career is over, your source should write a book. Sounds like a mad world in the best of ways.

Maybe Mane only knew the coach by his last name? Or the letters on his coaching shirt? haha.

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !

AussieLad

TIA Regular

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
Further reports linking him with a move to Turkey. Has allegedly agreed terms with Fenerbahce and they would apparently like to announce him soon.

StEtiennesLeftBoot

Allez les rouges - we ain't never gonna stop..
I have to say that if Buvac buggers off to Fenerbache my 'benefit of the doubt' rubber band will have been stretched to breaking point - who leaves before the biggest games in 10 years? I hope his reasons for leaving like that, are genuine, family, or personal ones otherwise it is avery poor show....